Language will get you banned

Off_White

I'm too busy with work today to spend much time with this, but here's a couple points for you Nitrox:

Yes, I don't like you, but that was not an issue in your short ban. "Cunt" in particular was recently discussed by mods and admins, and it just doesn't fly, it seriously offends any number of people here in a way that other insults don't. If you run a stop sign in front of a cop that doesn't like you, that pre-existing antipathy does not get you off of your moving violation in court.

Yes, it cuts both ways, and its not just you. Hugh Conway, while trying to be funny, blew it too and has a little time out. I'm quite serious about it, and a second offense is bye bye.

No, no poster, including j_b, complained about your post. It was strictly my initiative as I read through the thread. Sure, it could be argued that I made an example of you, others have used that word in the past. Whatever, its zero tolerance now, and all are on notice.

Yes, insults are pretty rampant in spray, and they are not the province of any particular political or social ideology. I can only ask that posters try and use a little judgment.

Calling someone a "faggot" or some such variation on that theme, where an underlying bigotry is the foundation of the insult, really isn't okay, and I may boot someone over that. I personally find it offensive, and there is support within the moderators for making that sort of thing an actionable offense. I'll keep you all posted.

Threads calling out individuals in an insulting manner are pretty objectionable, and yes, I found the one you cited regarding yourself offensive. I was on the fence regarding doing something about it, and certainly would have acted in your favor if you registered a complaint. As it was, given the abuse you regularly dish out, I let it ride because I see you as having a pretty tough skin.

The question of "JewPR" is a different thing. "Jew" is not an epithet, unless you're using it as a verb in describing a financial transaction. It's a descriptor of both an ethnicity and a religion that is commonly used within and without the relevant group. Choada Boy's bias is against the country of Israel, and as opposing Iran does not make one an Islamophobe, opposing Israel does not make one an anti-semite. Yes, these things do get looked at and considered when they come up.

I'll freely admit that enforcement of civility issues here is pretty inconsistent, dependent on the degree to which any individual moderator has the time and intention to deal with things. Really, self editing and self policing is what works best here, I'd like you all to contemplate doing a little more of that. I've spent an hour I don't really have to spare dealing with various issues around here today, and I'd like ya'll to just let this thread die out. It isn't here as a platform to continue carrying on with your insulting banter, it was a notice of a behavioral standard that will not be tolerated.

On a serious note, I think this is great. I don't see any reason why "rules" have to be enforced strictly and uniformly, andi f the mods want to pick and choose certain offences that are "over the top," that's a-ok by me! :tup: Enforcement of these rules on a case-by-case basis sounds great. I think it should be pretty obvious to people when they're being unacceptable, and if it's not, it sounds like Off is pretty willing to clue you in.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question of "JewPR" is a different thing. "Jew" is not an epithet, unless you're using it as a verb in describing a financial transaction. It's a descriptor of both an ethnicity and a religion that is commonly used within and without the relevant group. Choada Boy's bias is against the country of Israel, and as opposing Iran does not make one an Islamophobe, opposing Israel does not make one an anti-semite. Yes, these things do get looked at and considered when they come up.

I have no bias against the country of Israel (their foreign policy notwithstanding), I was making a comment on what I perceive to be a pro-Israel bias in NPR news and commentary, to which I listen on a daily basis. I'm not concerned if the right-wing faction wants to jump all over me for my observation. I'm sure Glenn Beck would froth at the mouth shouting anti-Semitic vitriol if he wouldn't lose sponsors over it.

The problem is that your inaccurate formulation is playing into the frame wanted by the right wing and you are being unfair to the multitude of Jews who disagree with Israel's policies. The unwanted NPR bias is about Israel, not about Jews. By using JewPR you are playing into charges of antisemitism, so you should stop doing it especially if it's not what you want.

The problem is that your inaccurate formulation is playing into the frame wanted by the right wing and you are being unfair to the multitude of Jews who disagree with Israel's policies. The unwanted NPR bias is about Israel, not about Jews. By using JewPR you are playing into charges of antisemitism, so you should stop doing it especially if it's not what you want.

fuckit - it sounds funny and no body 'roudn here has a bit of real power anyway - as said, if you gotta be offensive, at least be creative - i listen to npr all the damn time and laughed my ass off at that creation :)

Is there a list of exact terms that will result in bannination, kinda like the words George Carlin couldn't say on television?

smegma slurper?

cock jockey?

synecdouche?

felchburger?

looooser?

antichrist?

pissgargler?

polack?

infantilist?

numbnutz?

gasbag?

choad choker?

urethra franklin?

nig-nog?

twaterboy?

I called some one a "baby raper" once and that didn't get me banned.

What about "Fuck Stain"? That's one of my favorite insults.

Can I substitute "Rapidly Trembling Labia" for the offensive term which started this fun thread. Best one on cc.com in a while!

Nah, I'm good.

Calling someone a "faggot" or some such variation on that theme, where an underlying bigotry is the foundation of the insult, really isn't okay, and I may boot someone over that.

i do sincerely hope that my use of the word "faggot" in the thread "hey, you faggots", was not taken by any as an expression of underlying bigotry. i think that the content of the thread made this clear.

i think dan savage co-opted this term from regressives beautifully years ago (before marketing considerations forced a name-change!).

I think the moderators here do a great job of balancing the need to let people write what they want using whatever words they want with people who want to be able to read & respond to Spray threads without getting personally attacked in ways that are simply beyond what even "bullet proof" people would expect to hear.

Moderators work without pay. They work knowing that in an effort to keep the peace, they will piss people off. Even though they are people with their own opinions, they put those opinions second to the needs of the group. They have no authority beyond what the community has agreed to give them yet are often directly challenged by the same members who have broken the accepted community guidelines.

And in return all they get is a lot of shit for it. That totally sucks.

I hope the Mods know that they are actually appreciated by a lot of users. Thanks for spending the time and effort needed to keep Spray within some reasonable boundaries!

I called some one a "baby raper" once and that didn't get me banned.

What about "Fuck Stain"? That's one of my favorite insults.

Can I substitute "Rapidly Trembling Labia" for the offensive term which started this fun thread. Best one on cc.com in a while!

Gee, I'm beginning to feel real bad cause non of this good stuff showed up on my 'Potty mouth' thread. I guess if you can't actually insult someone with it its' no fun to throw around.

Is there a list of exact terms that will result in bannination, kinda like the words George Carlin couldn't say on television?

smegma slurper?

cock jockey?

synecdouche?

felchburger?

looooser?

antichrist?

pissgargler?

polack?

infantilist?

numbnutz?

gasbag?

choad choker?

urethra franklin?

nig-nog?

twaterboy?

smegma slurper?

cock jockey?

synecdouche?

felchburger?

looooser?

antichrist?

pissgargler?

polack?

infantilist?

numbnutz?

gasbag?

choad choker?

urethra franklin?

nig-nog?

twaterboy?

nothing more annoying than unrecognized genius :)