Top 100 Climbing Adventure Books!

Plaidman

Cool shit.

Mountaineers Press missed boat, sadly. I'll pick up a copy from Wal-Mart with my newest extraordinary High-tech Chinese dirt cheap puptent!!

God Bless King Edward!!

This is thread drift, but if one seeks education in history, could do worse than look up Geoffrery Winthrop Young on Wikipedia and go from there.....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Above the clouds-antolio bourkakeev? I dont think i saw this one on the list. good book

If it gets three votes it goes on the list. Start your campaign.

Make it two votes!

Jim

OK. That's cool one more vote and it goes on the list.

BUT! We have too many books. We need to vote some OFF!!

Here are the rules. I want books off the island!

Now that we have a list of 129 we will need to refine it to 100 books.

The way this will work is kinda like Survivor. 5 votes and a book comes off the list. OFF THE ISLAND! To add a new book to the list only takes 3 votes. I didn't add all the books on Jello's list of his library. My wife says her book must stay on the list and is immune to vote off. I disagree even though Magnificent Mountain Women is a good book from an historical perspective. So to appease her it will take 6 votes to vote this book off the island. IT's OUTTA MY HANDS NOW! Let the voting begin!

Its too late I guess to add more, but what the hell:

Four Against Everest - Woodrow Sayre

The Last Blue Mountain - Ralph Barker

Five Miles High - Robert Bates

And thanks to somebody who included Rum Doodle.

No. You can get them added to the list by getting 3 votes from other CC members.

Ooh, you forget

"Ascent" the Biography of Willi Unsoeld.

That dude rocked! He and Tom Hornbein's climb of the West Ridge of Everest was way ahead of it's time in many ways. Not to mention he was a local.

So my Votes:

"Ascent" Biography of Willi Unsoeld

Feeding the Rat

The Climb up to Hell (first climbing book I ever read :) )

pms kukuzckas book is rad. the guy does the first winter ascent on dhaulagiri, gets frostbite on his feet and then hikes over french pass to do the first winter ascent of cho oyu! books hard to come by. its on amazon for 150-200$. I wish I would of bought krzysick wielickis book about doing all the 8000s saw it in rei in 99? but didnt buy it, havent found it since[for cheap]. amazon has it for 315$

Pete Sinclair's 'We Aspired. The Last Innocent Americans' is a really nice biography. Pete teaches English at Evergreen State College. He and his party made the first ascent of the West Rib on Denali and he was one of the first climbing rangers in the Tetons.

For those of us without a whole lot of time to read all of the great titles there is a book called "The Mammoth book of Adventures on the Edge." It's published in the UK and is essentially the Readers Digest condensed version featuring the climax chapters of many of the best mountaineering books. The Ridge by Hornbien, The White Spider by Harrer, The Ascent of Nanda Devi by Tillman, Annapurna by Herzog and many others. I found it quite enjoyable!

Touching the Void is probably the best climbing adventure book I've read, but I haven't read that many. I look forward to seeing how the list shakes out so I can give myself an xmas present or two (the best kind of present). Thanks for the list Plaid!

Mt Analogue is a POS IMHO. Like Samuel Beckett goes climbing.

Long's Gorillas in the Mist isn't really a climbing book, but there are some great adventure stories.

So long as we're considering non-climbing adventures, I'll toss out one of the best I've read: The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition by Caroline Alexander. The story is both riveting and fascinating, and the photographs by Hurley are amazing as well.