Hell NO on I-1098

Fairweather

We are voting on taxes this November - the income tax and the potential repeal of the soda/junk food tax. Jayb has a valid point. Given that folks are hard pressed why would they vote for taxes when they see this stuff going on? It's taxpayer money.

We are voting on taxes but not on "our" taxes, only those who make a lot. As for the tax on junk food it is a no brainer, irrespective of anything else. You are mixing up everything, like some anti-tax demagogue.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're not admitting that there is, at least, some management issues here. The sheriff's contract was negoiated AFTER the financial meltdown. It's the public's money and needs to be spent more wisely. If you can't admit that you are not at the plate, you're on the sidewalk outside the ballpark.

I admitted these deals were unreasonable which does point to a management issue, and I'll admit to even more like getting rid of the financial pit-hole that is the war on drugs, but it has very little to do with the need for a state income tax on the wealthy or taxing junk-food. As I said, you are confusing everything.

Edited by j_b

It seems simple - we're being asked to carry cuts in services - less King Co. sheriffs, less Metro bus service, and other King County services because there are ridiclious contracts in place.

Yes, uncritically accepting the ahistorical, asinine cause-and-effect relationship Jay_B is peddling here to further his ongoing project (in good times and bad) is way too simple.

Edited by prole

When this state

a) legalizes drugs

b) cuts back its criminal justice system accordingly

c) fires half of the non-teaching clingons who've parasitically attached themselves to our school system, most noticeably the top heaviest layers of administration

and

d) waits until we're clear of this recession

Then I might consider voting for a tax increase.

Levy an income tax on the rich and, I'll guarantee you, it will be extended to everyone in short order.

talking about facts, what about these numbers comparing the budget shortfall and the cost of these deals? A comparison you absolutely need to make for your argument to have any legs.

So - you're contending that the raises that Metro and the King Co. sheriff's office has in place in no way is contributing to their projected cut in services? That's a stretch.

In the present economy folks are looking losing their jobs, receiving cuts in pay and benefits, and shortened hours. Why would they think it is fair that (some) public employees are guaranteed these lucrative pay increases - with taxpayer money, while the public is asked to get less services out of the same agecies.

I'll admit that when things are flush that a less critical eye is turned to these items, but when times are tough these deals are a bit askew.

Considering the grand total of 3 times I've called the Seattle PD when I have needed them they simply decided to not show up, combined with the large number of times they have showed up when not needed, I'm going to say they are overpaid as is.

Seattle Police Department, you fucking suck arse.

Edited by JoshK

talking about facts, what about these numbers comparing the budget shortfall and the cost of these deals? A comparison you absolutely need to make for your argument to have any legs.

So - you're contending that the raises that Metro and the King Co. sheriff's office has in place in no way is contributing to their projected cut in services? That's a stretch.

no! I said it had little to do with a state income tax on the wealthy and taxing junk food. For the record, I consider cutting king county (especially metro) service before letting go of the fat in these organizations totally unacceptable.

In the present economy folks are looking losing their jobs, receiving cuts in pay and benefits, and shortened hours. Why would they think it is fair that (some) public employees are guaranteed these lucrative pay increases - with taxpayer money, while the public is asked to get less services out of the same agecies.

the word "some" is key here . That "some" represents a small fraction of all public employees, who shouldn't suffer because others are suffering as well. You are falling for the right wing tactic of divide and conquer.

meanwhile..

Danny Westneat

Seattle Times staff columnist

Last week there was a cop in the paper saying he was looking around for jobs elsewhere because the budget problems here are so bad....

Woah! What have we here?

Jim is clearly not a full-time Regressive like myself, but there seems to be a situational regressive syndrome percolating up in previously uninfected quadrants.

the word "some" is key here . That "some" represents a small fraction of all public employees, who shouldn't suffer because others are suffering as well. You are falling for the right wing tactic of divide and conquer.

Not falling for anything thanks. ALL King County employees got a 2% raise this year, on top of annual step increases, which is basically a pay increase for hanging around another year. No, I don't think that is a good use of taxpayer money. I'm more of a pay for performance person.

Spoken like an elitist if you don't recognize a) the tough economic times many are facing, and 2) how that effects their perception of how their tax dollars are spent.

I can tell you that you couldn't be anymore wrong. My wife lost her professional career and has to reinvent herself at her age, which isn't a given.

ALL King County employees got a 2% raise this year, on top of annual step increases, which is basically a pay increase for hanging around another year.

You mean a cost of living increase? Wasn't inflation last year like 2.6%? Just realize that if you are suggesting no increase at all, it's identical to suggesting a pay decrease.

Not falling for anything thanks. ALL King County employees got a 2% raise this year, on top of annual step increases, which is basically a pay increase for hanging around another year. No, I don't think that is a good use of taxpayer money. I'm more of a pay for performance person.

ohhhh a 2% raise in a time of 1.1% inflation. that's a budget buster.

meanwhile the "oppressed masses" argue midday on the interwebs about the lazy government employees.... who aren't posting on the interwebs