A note to aid climbers

Wallstein

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you deduce said trash was from an aid climber :) Seen em in action or perhaps the presence of cig butts? I have seen free climbers use duct tape to protect the rope when they are working a route or bringing up a second.... But yeah pack out ur tape and butts

Fuck yeah, I stopped using chalk on my projects years ago, now I just carry a roll of duct tape and tape up certain holds cause it helps so much with the send :lmao:

That's actually not a bad idea! Forget tapping up for the cracks, just line the inside of them with tape. If the crack is too wide, just add a few layers for a more secure jam.

How did you deduce said trash was from an aid climber :)

It was on Green Drag-on, which as far as I know had only been free climbed once before me and any free climber that would go up there certainly wouldn't be putting duct tape on huge holds. But you are right its all just speculation....

I use to use duct tape to pad edges when I was an aid climber and looking back I'm sure I left my fair share of it. And then after awhile I figured out it was trash and started taking it off when cleaning pitches. Would of been great if someone had just pointed that out to me earlier on and I wouldn't of ever left it.

I've become more frustrated with it in the past years climbing in Yosemite, where you will see it everywhere on the classic climbs. South face of the Column, West face of the Leaning Tower, The Nose and the Salathe. And almost always there is just no need for it. I'd hate to see it start appearing here.

This reminds me of empty "8 hour energy" and "Capri Sun" containers someone left on the trail up to Colchuck lake a few days ago. I'm sure they intended to pick it up on the way down from the lake but it stinks for the rest of us who get to look at the garbage on the side of the trail. :rolleyes:

I'm constatly surprised by self consumed people who leave garbage in the mountains with no regard for the next visitors. Good teaching moment for our child, I suppose...

I did not realize there were so many d-bags leaving duct tape just laying around. Seems like common sense for the second to pick it up. Guess I just have this false notion that climbers are better stewards of the land than the general public. I suppose it’s the tragedy of the commons….. My wife works in recreation and is constantly bitchin bout having to pick up crap that others discard figuring "hey someone else will pick it up"

Most of those sharp edges are pretty easily dealt with with a hammer. Sometimes a chisel may be necessary to really knock them down. You shouldn't need to leave any ugly bits of tape.

Your kidding right? Is it ok to hammer or chisel sharp holds on a route to make it easier?