LASIK?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had mine done in '03. Was something like ~$1250/eye for the old-school LASIK where they created the flap with a blade.

Wife had hers done on the East Coast ~'06 or '07 w/ the blade free incision (used a laser) and the total cost was ~$5000.

Zero complications for us. Could see clearly right after the operation, was ~20/15 the next day and have pretty much stayed there since. Had blood around the iris for ~10 days after the operation, had to wear eye-protectors while sleeping for ~ 2 weeks or so after the operation. Definitely noticed halos around lights while driving at night, but either that's gone away or I've become so used to it that I don't even notice them any more.

I think my wife's experience was pretty similar, but supposedly using a laser to make the incision reduces healing time and reduces the odds of complications.

All around it ranks up there with the best money I've ever spent. Not having to deal with glasses and contacts in every-day life alone made it worth it. Not having my contacts knocked out and getting blinded in heavy whitewater, losing a contact on the tent-floor and searching for it by headlamp, etc, etc, etc made it even more worth it.

I had my eyes done by Dr. John Jarstad at the Evergreen Eye Center in Federal Way.

http://www.evergreeneye.com/about-us.php

I can't remember when I had mine done...a 4-5 years ago at Clearly Lasik before one of the co-owners tried to have the other knocked off by a hitman.

I got "life time touch ups" included in the cost of my first lasik appointment. About 2-3 years after I had the procedure done I had to have a "touchup" as my vision had deteriorated. This was not a function of the surgery, but of my eyes changing with age. Since then my vision has been perfect.

I'd echo Jay's comments...definitely some of the best money I've ever spent.

Ivan,

How'd the contacts mess up your eyes?

Got me skeered. I wear mine for many days in a row on trips. I told the eye doc what I needed them for, and I ended up with these Accuvue Oasis - ok to wear continuous for a week.

I might think about kicking down the dough for the surgery if my eyes were getting screwed. My vision hasn't worsened in the last couple of years.

i wear my accuvue oasis for 4 or 5 days at a time, don't even notice them. Doc says it's fine.

Ivan, Porter: do either of you have any weird nighttime effects of yoru lazik? I can't justify the risk of lazik because my eyes are not bad, and I've met several people that have permanent "starbursts" when looking at bright objects at night....

things seemed stranger at night after the surgery, but the effect or my awareness of it has dissappeared

i was wearing contacts more than 10 years ago, before the disposable craze set in - i was supposed to take them out each night, but in the alpine i'd usually wear them for several days in a row and of course have all manners of shit running into my eyes to boot - for years i'd get this condition in summer, usually in the mornings, when light would make my eyes stream w/ tears and i'd have to pry them open w/ my fingers in order to drive to work - suuuuuuck!

anyhow, i was legally blind if my vision was uncorrectable and couldn't function w/o glasses/contacts - now i never even have to think of it - maybe if i'd had groovier contacts i wouldn't have bothered, but as it is, i imagine long term i'll have spent less on the surgery than on years of contacts and glasses

it can impact your night time vision, but not that much for me. there are methods for lessening this impact, ask the doctor about it when they are determining if you can even have the procedure done. i didn't have that method(s) done, but my night vision is fine. if you want to get lasik and are worried about it, i believe if you ask for the method that pilots (including US Navy pilots) get done.

given that i had to wear pretty thick glasses or contacts, i am very very glad i had lasik done.

at this point i'd say the lasik is very proven. that said, this is all just my opinion, i'm not a doctor, and while something like 95% of people who get it done are very happy, there is that 5% that are not happy for some reason.

read about it yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LASIK

My girlfriend just had Lasik done a couple weeks ago at Restore Vision Center in Renton. Cost was around $3,000 for both eyes. They do free consultations and were great to use. She has had zero problems beyond the normal dry eyes associated with Lasik.

She got it done now so that the healing period did not interfere with the summer climbing season. You will want to avoid getting dirt and tree limbs in you eyes for a good period of time. Timing it right will help you avoid possible issues with your climbing activities.

She had contacts for 20 years and concurs so far this is the best money she has ever spent. Her vision is 20/20 and is expected to get to 20/15 in the next few months.

I suggest going in for the free consultation. It was no pressure and also lets you know if you are good candidate for the procedure.

http://www.restorevisioncenters.com/

I had LASIK done at the Renton Vision Center about 8 or 9 years ago. Recovery time was something like 24 hours--I drove home the next day. You just have to be careful not to rub your eyes.

Best money ever spent.

The only new comment I would add is that if you do any high altitude mountaineering, wearing contacts can be dangerous. I slept with mine in at 18K and woke up the next morning to disturbingly blurry vision which I attributed to the early stages of HACE. Removing them and putting on glasses did not help at all. I went down in elevation to our base camp and my vision started getting better. I found out later that the contacts restricted air flow to my eyes which resulted in the eyes swelling.

Ivan,

How'd the contacts mess up your eyes?

Got me skeered. I wear mine for many days in a row on trips. I told the eye doc what I needed them for, and I ended up with these Accuvue Oasis - ok to wear continuous for a week.

I might think about kicking down the dough for the surgery if my eyes were getting screwed. My vision hasn't worsened in the last couple of years.

Word from my optho was that deposits on the contacts were irritating the cornea, which thickened in response, further distorting my vision.

Sounds like Ivan and I had pretty much the same routine with the contacts.

Not sure if the optho guy was right, but I haven't had to worry about it since.

WRT the "starburst" effect at night - not sure if it went away or I just don't notice it anymore but I can't imagine this being a significant problem for the vast majority of people.

• 5 months later...

I'm getting setup for PRK. I'm surprised that a good number of alpinists, climbers and the like are getting LASIK, as PRK has two benefits: (1) nothing is cut away, so you can get reshaping done later and (2) PRK is less susceptible to impact damage. Military, pilots and police must get PRK for these reasons. You have to suffer more -- temporary contact goes in after surgery, week long of terrifying and work incapacitating blindness -- but worth it.

If you're in Vancouver, check out Pacific Laser. The doctor there built/invented the laser machine and the techniques now used worldwide, and he's the guy that fixes other surgeon's mistakes.

• 3 months later...

Yeah that's why I ALWAYS wear eye protection, including Oakley sunglasses or regular tinted safety shades. Kinda blows my mind how many folks--especially ice climbers--do not protect their eyes. There are some pretty low key tints that one can use in almost any light condition that also protect the eye from the sun.

As for Lasik--one of the best things I ever did!

Doc made me promise I'd always wear shades and I am really enjoying being able to do that (contacts were impossible here in Wyo.).

contacts were impossible here in Wyo..

I just started wearing contacts and wonder why you state they're impossible. Too cold? Too much wind/debris blowing around? I was riding a sled around in -22f last week and didn't have a problem with my contacts. Of course I had goggles on.

Dust, dryness and wind primarily, also very problematic if one is working in any kind of construction or industrial application.

I got caught in a crazy sandstorm in China one time and I found out real quick that this is true. Definitely cursed having contacts, which I normally don't.

I dream of getting LASIK done someday.

my wife had it done some 6 years ago. legally blind in one eye and nearly so in the other. what, like 20/500 or so if i remember right?

20/20 or so after the surgery. no more glasses or contacts. she has mentioned lately that once in a while her vision is a little funky, but nothing compared to before; imagine trying to body surf with contacts whilst almost legally blind. scary.

the only tramautic part was that i watched the procedure. it's weird how when the eyes become lifeless meat, you wonder where your loved-one went.