Why do people brag about the hours they work?

gertlush

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You: "I haven't missed a day of work in fifteen years."

Me: "You're a retard."

That's just what a person wants on their headstone? "Never missed work"? What a legacy...

In the real world of work, people who never play hooky are valuable employees. I've missed about 2 days in 7 years at this job. I'm proud of the fact that I don't play hooky, and I don't get sick...knock on wood. My students know they can depend on Professor Webster to be there everyday, on time, prepared to work. When it dumps 10 inches of powder...I still come to work.

If that bothers you, I'm sorry. I have a strong work ethic, and it has kept me fully employed for 38 years with a variety of employers. Yes, I've missed out on a lot of fun...but the benefits are a paid off house, car and credits cards. I also get 7 weeks off, paid.

When we try to hire teachers, most of them don't work out because they do not have a strong work ethic. They skip out and let our clients (the students) down.

All employers need reliable employees, not flakes. I do agree that working weekends so you can save money and retire early is not good. You have to climb when you are still relatively young and healthy.

I have always envied people who take vast amounts of time off, or play the system to get their climbing and leisure paid for by uncle sam. However, I can't bring myself to do it. I think it's cheating, and not carrying your weight.

An honest days work, for an honest days pay makes me feel good, and look forward to the weekend.

That's just what a person wants on their headstone? "Never missed work"? What a legacy...

In the real world of work, people who never play hooky are valuable employees. I've missed about 2 days in 7 years at this job. I'm proud of the fact that I don't play hooky, and I don't get sick...knock on wood....

Well, a lot of the people who "brag" about not missing work are also not taking vacation days. In fact they allow accrued vacation time to expire (as per their company's vacation policy). As for not getting sick. Are you going to work sick? Because that is rude - and typical of the bragging from those who don't "miss work".

Many companies these days combine sick and vacation days to avoid the whole "hooky" issue. The result seems to be folks being more reluctant to take a sick day since it is taken out of PTO.

In the real world of work, people who never play hooky are valuable employees. I've missed about 2 days in 7 years at this job. I'm proud of the fact that I don't play hooky, and I don't get sick...knock on wood. My students know they can depend on Professor Webster to be there everyday, on time, prepared to work. When it dumps 10 inches of powder...I still come to work.

If that bothers you, I'm sorry. I have a strong work ethic, and it has kept me fully employed for 38 years with a variety of employers. Yes, I've missed out on a lot of fun...but the benefits are a paid off house, car and credits cards. I also get 7 weeks off, paid.

When we try to hire teachers, most of them don't work out because they do not have a strong work ethic. They skip out and let our clients (the students) down.

All employers need reliable employees, not flakes. I do agree that working weekends so you can save money and retire early is not good. You have to climb when you are still relatively young and healthy.

I have always envied people who take vast amounts of time off, or play the system to get their climbing and leisure paid for by uncle sam. However, I can't bring myself to do it. I think it's cheating, and not carrying your weight.

An honest days work, for an honest days pay makes me feel good, and look forward to the weekend.

:tup::tup:

:tup::tup::tup::tup:

except for the students as "clients" part: kinda orwellian.

i can live with the term being used for college students, but even then, it's one of those rather recent terms, like double tall skim vanilla latte.

i prefer "student".

hmmmm and did i learn a lot in college? i think the larger college context taught me more than learning any specific data points or cognitive skills. oh i guess i learned how to spell nietzsche. i suppose there were some other things, if'n i start recollecting.

I said 'students as clients' because they are sort of like clients, from a certain perspective. Without students (clients) I would have no job. We have to keep our program 'state of the art' so that students will choose us instead of...the medical profession, or welding. Raindawg is also in the education system, though at a much better college. I suspect he has to keep his program fully enrolled as well.

Regarding staying employed, there is an old saying:

"It's not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude in any given company."

We get a lot of very smart people in our program, but without a work ethic, they are going nowhere. I wish I knew how to teach "work ethic". I think kids learn it from their parents, they either have it, or they don't.

I have had a few employees that have had a so-so work ethic, but were brilliant. I also have had a few that had excellent work-ethic, but were not that bright. I don't think I would trade one for the other.

Work ethic has its place, but to say that attitude is all that matters? I hope I never work for THAT company.

You're lucky you get a big block of time off every year. The teacher's I know work their butts off during year but get to take a breather.

For most working folks with some level of responsibility it's hard to take off time in such large chunk - compared to other countries where it is encouraged. I think it is a bad idea to not negoiate some big blocks off now and then to have a life. I've taken 3-10 weeks off sporatically and will likely be taking 10 wks in a row this year. Getting up there in age and would like to get up a few more South American peaks before getting creaky(er).

I see corporations take advantage of their employees ALL THE TIME. I don't see anything wrong with the employee doing a bit of the same from time to time.

All this talk about "work ethic" and "never missing a day of work in my life" might have made sense in Ward Cleaver's day, but nowadays, it just means you're letting yourself be taken advantage of and used like a tool.

I see corporations take advantage of their employees ALL THE TIME. I don't see anything wrong with the employee doing a bit of the same from time to time.

All this talk about "work ethic" and "never missing a day of work in my life" might have made sense in Ward Cleaver's day, but nowadays, it just means you're letting yourself be taken advantage of and used like a tool.

God I love Office Space.

You're lucky you get a big block of time off every year. The teacher's I know work their butts off during year but get to take a breather.

For most working folks with some level of responsibility it's hard to take off time in such large chunk - compared to other countries where it is encouraged. I think it is a bad idea to not negoiate some big blocks off now and then to have a life.

Agreed.

I would think that a bigger block of time (more than 2 weeks) off would rejuvinate you and help you have a more positive view towards your work life (reduce the burnout). It's pretty depressing looking forward to a week off here and there, and maybe the occasional 3 day weekend. Burn some of the time with family, and spend some on the significant other, and you have little remaining for personal usage.

Most US companies can't afford to offer large amounts of paid time off. And, for many US working stiffs, the idea of taking unpaid time off in any large amount is unrealistic (if its offered), due to debt and lack of liquid savings. Up until about 2 years ago, I felt guilty taking time off beyond my paid vacation. Now, I would prefer to have the time off in lieu of the money I would make.

agreed.

i have guys that will put in 5 12-hour days to make a deadline. They're not getting paid extra for that, and they're working extra hard to make up for our own poor management. If they want to play hookie a few times a month to go skiing, wtf do I care? I'll look the other way. They're working for free, otherwise. And the company is not giving them nearly as many vacation days as they deserve. 2 or 2 weeks a YEAR? Are you KIDDING me? I can't believe that some of you would be OK with that.

This sort of grandpa-esque "honest days work" notion is totally irrelavant in today's modern workplace. It may have made sense back in the days of the 9-5, but these days you need to be in control of your own work/life balance, otherwise we're gonna squeeze as much work out of you as we possibly can and it will hurt. Why would you let us? You've got to keep us honest.

Edited by rob

agreed.

i have guys that will put in 5 12-hour days to make a deadline. They're not getting paid extra for that, and they're working extra hard to make up for our own poor management. If they want to play hookie a few times a month to go skiing, wtf do I care? I'll look the other way. They're working for free, otherwise. And the company is not giving them nearly as many vacation days as they deserve. 2 or 2 weeks a YEAR? Are you KIDDING me? I can't believe that some of you would be OK with that.

This sort of grandpa-esque "honest days work" notion is totally irrelavant in today's modern workplace. It may have made sense back in the days of the 9-5, but these days you need to be in control of your own work/life balance, otherwise we're gonna squeeze as much work out of you as we possibly can and it will hurt. Why would you let us? You've got to keep us honest.

Work sucks.

Looking back what do you tend to remember? Those 12 hour days and weekends, or your climbing trips or vacations?