Will Jesus make me a better climber if I pray?

Dirtyleaf

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly where I was hoping this thread would end up. I've talked to climbers who said something like "God gave me the courage to..." Ok. Fair enough. I'll listen to almost anything you say without talkin smack back. But, I find myself going back to the days walkin' the downtown seattle streets at nighttime scorin dope. FUcked up scenarios abound. whatever. I lived through it. Now, however, I go back to That mindset when I climb. It's my personal memory bank of the dark side of the force. It helps to put all emotions, feelings, etc. aside and put forth. I think even Jesus would agree. I've taken some decent whippers because I forgot I was climbing and I started to feel happy at the pretty mountain scenery. What a dumb way to fuck oneself up or die. Get twisted. Accept the anger and hate. Happines+Love equals stupid fucking mistakes.

So, you climb well feeling anger and hate but climb poorly when you are happy?

Did I get that right?

You hit the nail on the head there. I've seen him. When happy he is a weak, giggly school girl who would rather look at the clouds and drink soda pop and talk about life. When the hate and anger flows is when all he can do is climb. Geoff, from the start of this whole thing I was gonna ask why you don't just embrace the fear and the anger, but I figured you'd come around on your own.

It's funny, while I was reading this a missionary guy came to my door and asked me to answer some questions and prayed for me. I should have asked him for you.

I could see people climbing better mad or happy. Perhaps being angry while climbing could leave people open to making dangerous mistakes (I.E.-self-destructive).

I've found that even in my worst times nothing will make me appreciate my life more than the realization that a tiny mistake would end it all.

Maybe one of the recovering catholics who have posted here can hook you up with an exorcist. I climb way better when I am happy. :moondance:

good for you - i climb like shit no matter what :)

maybe if i gave j.c. 50$ though?

Maybe you should spend that $50 on a Mountaineers class.

its funny because you always hear non beleivers spraying super hard like "and still feel the need to look to a 2000 year old dead guy for 'something greater than yourself', you might think about opening your eyes a bit wider." and " People who believe in, and want, an afterlife are too weak to handle the fact that we die. Period. Enjoy it while you can, as you could get run over by a car tomorrow." classic examples.

I hear it everyday. I also hear these same people saying that your crazy for thinking you know what the truth is. Those quotes above seem to be people expressing what is the "truth" of what they know (in their case the non existance of christ and god). know what i mean? dont contradict yourself. I have never met a practicing christian as disrespectful as non beleivers who choose to spray on us. I lead by example. I hope the people in my life will see the good things that god has done for me, and the things i have done with help from god, and maybe become curious. you know try to plant a seed by example. I have as much respect for my friends who don't beleive as I do for those who do. The biggest finger pointers are you sprayers on the subject. not us beleivers. period. while you don't beleive, try to have some respect for those of us who do. and dont try to tell us how it is.

God bless you all. really. - Frank

Edited by Frankazoid

Were you taught to "believe" in god or was it more like something hereditary. Like how birds learn to fly? I'm not spraying. I have spent a solid and coherent 14 years heavily involved in and around the church.(against my will mind you) I am still friends with many of these people today. What I'm going to refer to as the "human condition". Nobody's really pointing any fingers. But I'm glad you felt strongly enough about this to expose yourself. I don't preach. I don't believe in god. But I can still lead by example. In a positve direction. And check your last 4 sentences. You're being a really big hypocrite. Like I told Ivan at the base of Meatgrinder....Peace, and God Bless. Really.

why don't we move this to spray, so this thread can exist in peace w/ the hundreds of others that degenerate into who-is-this-jesus-fella-really?

meatgrinder, eh? that was a few years ago - you are to be saluted for a far better memory!

As a Christian, I don't pray to Jesus to make me a better climber, or for ascending a route or peak. Starting my 50th year of climbing, I've always prayed for His protection and guidance; to use good judgment and for the safety of my companions too. However, when it's my time to die, it could be a climbing accident.

why don't we move this to spray, so this thread can exist in peace w/ the hundreds of others that degenerate into who-is-this-jesus-fella-really?

meatgrinder, eh? that was a few years ago - you are to be saluted for a far better memory!

Because if we move it to spray people like me will stop trying to limit what I say in this thread to how praying improves or does not improve my climbing. It would become another Denali thread and could embarass Feck.

Seriously, if you are truely working on improving yourself, introspection is a great place to start. What can you accomplish without motivation? How can you motivate yourself without clearly defining what you value most? If you are an atheist, prayer and faith are not going to do it for you and you really are wasting your time in this thread imo. So the question boils down to, will the non-christians be willing to respect christians enough to let this discussion be treated seriously by those who take it seriously.

I really don't care whether you do or not. Just like I really do not feel responsible for any of your life decisions. I'm just saying, if you are a Christian, you take the question seriously. If you are not a Christian, it may be an awkward topic for you. Will you deide to be respectful or not?

Regardless of what you do in this thread or what you believe, I respect your right to do so.

Carry on.

If you are an atheist, prayer and faith are not going to do it for you and you really are wasting your time in this thread imo.

not to be pickin on you, but the above isn't true. some atheists pray, but not to a god or a deity. orthodox buddhists are atheists, and they pray. i think prayer can be powerful stuff, whether or not one believes in a "god".

its funny because you always hear non beleivers spraying super hard like "and still feel the need to look to a 2000 year old dead guy for 'something greater than yourself', you might think about opening your eyes a bit wider." and " People who believe in, and want, an afterlife are too weak to handle the fact that we die. Period. Enjoy it while you can, as you could get run over by a car tomorrow." classic examples.

I hear it everyday. I also hear these same people saying that your crazy for thinking you know what the truth is. Those quotes above seem to be people expressing what is the "truth" of what they know (in their case the non existance of christ and god). know what i mean? dont contradict yourself. I have never met a practicing christian as disrespectful as non beleivers who choose to spray on us. I lead by example. I hope the people in my life will see the good things that god has done for me, and the things i have done with help from god, and maybe become curious. you know try to plant a seed by example. I have as much respect for my friends who don't beleive as I do for those who do. The biggest finger pointers are you sprayers on the subject. not us beleivers. period. while you don't beleive, try to have some respect for those of us who do. and dont try to tell us how it is.

if you had been born in india you would be defending he sacredness of the cow with the same fervour. moo

:chebit:

i noticed my name in the "reply to", so i'm hoping i didn't offend you. that certainly wasn't my intention. perhaps my comment about jesus not making you do anything because he passed away 2000 years ago could be offensive? certainly wasn't meant that way, and was more directed at the wording of the thread title (i really don't think jesus would make anyone do anything, even if he was walking around right now....doesn't seem like it was his style).

the only irritation i have ever had with some of the christians i know is the seeming lack of humbleness regarding their belief. the "i know what i believe is true." well there might be a few other things too, like all non-believers go to hell and such; it just seems that communication breaks down at some point, and this is kinda unfortunate. hard to be close friends with someone when you can't have open dialog and challenge each other's beliefs. having said that, my best friend in high school and college was a pretty devout christian. we talked about these things all the time. but he was also able to say "i don't know", as was i.

but yeah i feel ya about the whole "i know what the truth is" spiel, whether it comes from an atheist (or a christian).

Why should we give people who "believe" in any religion anything less?

Why does a person need a crutch to act in the proper way?

What evidence exists for the existence of any god, ever?

Why do life-long religious believers not see that they have been brainwashed and inculcated into their "beliefs"?

Why is it that Christians cannot see all the harm their "religion" has brought to the world over the last 2000 years or how Christian interpretations of their religious texts are preventing humanity from realizing it's full potential??

How many gods have existed since humans and their predecessors first started to use them to explain their surroundings?

Sumerians Look On In Confusion As God Creates The World

Frank, please pray to Jesus for better spelling and grammar. Non believers will...might...well, they still won't take you seriously, but your readership, regardless of faith, will wince just a little be less.