Garden Report

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harvesting the walla wallas from last fall now and they are fatties!

Didnt get a leaf of spinach, it all went immediately to seed (we planted seeds and starts May 1 . Any tips for keeping it viable a little longer? Less sun?)

Pumpkins vines will be taking over a good sized area soon.

Snow peas are rockingout (stirfry every week!)

Planted eggplant start (a little late this year)

Got lots of things set up on 1/4 in drip hose.

Planted 4 more roses (bad year for blackspot, or is it just me?)

Try a warm weather spinach, like Summer Perfection. Even Correnta will bolt in weather like we've had. May's too late for the other types. Side dress the seedlings with blood meal to get them to grow as fast as possible before they bolt, and eat 'em when they're small.

The most common types of spinach are, from cold weather to warm weather types: Tyee, Skookum and Bloomsdale, Olympia, Correnta, Summer Perfection. PLanting different spinaches in an order like this successively, starting the 3rd week of Feb, will give you a harvest during more of the year. starting end of Feb, will provide you with spinach during much of the year. You reverse the order after mid summer.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Strawberries coming out the wazoo, sugar snap peas, asparagus, onions, leeks, lettuce and a few other goodies trickling in. Lots more on the horizon and it looks like my serrano peppers are doing much better than last year since I decided to leave them in the greenhouse this time around. Dave likes his chicken spicy!

Taken a couple weeks ago.

IMG_01152.jpg

Cloche:

Take one of those round tomato cages, drop a clear plastic garbage bag over it, duct tape it down at the bottom, and poke a few air holes near the top. The bag only has to last a month or so.

10 minutes max.

Ivan, you don't need to cloche. I can't be bothered, and I can pull jalapenos off the plants 1-2 everyday once the plants get going. Great for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And while the plants don't appear to be growing this year, I got flowers on the cayenne already.

And for the rest of my garden report:

Already have pea sized cherry tomatoes on the plants

Beans are calf high with leaves the size of my palm

All the onions (NY early, Cippolini, WW) are doing grand

Leeks just plugging along, but not like the onions

I should be able to start harvesting carrots in 4 weeks or less

Broccoli coming along fine

Potatoes (all blue) are out of control and knee high!

Tvash: How do you know when to harvest the garlic? We planted some back in October, and it just put out bulblets last week (which I promptly cut.) I can't tell when to harvest without actually harvesting them to see what they're up to.

Cloche:

Take one of those round tomato cages, drop a clear plastic garbage bag over it, duct tape it down at the bottom, and poke a few air holes near the top. The bag only has to last a month or so.

10 minutes max.

Ivan, you don't need to cloche. I can't be bothered, and I can pull jalapenos off the plants 1-2 everyday once the plants get going. Great for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And while the plants don't appear to be growing this year, I got flowers on the cayenne already.

And for the rest of my garden report:

Already have pea sized cherry tomatoes on the plants

Beans are calf high with leaves the size of my palm

All the onions (NY early, Cippolini, WW) are doing grand

Leeks just plugging along, but not like the onions

I should be able to start harvesting carrots in 4 weeks or less

Broccoli coming along fine

Potatoes (all blue) are out of control and knee high!

Tvash: How do you know when to harvest the garlic? We planted some back in October, and it just put out bulblets last week (which I promptly cut.) I can't tell when to harvest without actually harvesting them to see what they're up to.

Clip the flower buds off your garlic before they bloom (May/June) and sautee those little beyotches and eat em. Stop watering the garlic from that point on and pull them around July 1.

Pull them out July 1.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you know when to harvest the garlic? We planted some back in October, and it just put out bulblets last week (which I promptly cut.) I can't tell when to harvest without actually harvesting them to see what they're up to.

Addendum to the other response you got: after you stop watering them, wait until like 1/2 - 2/3 of the leaves are brown and they should be ready.

We have a winter squash growing that's like a foot and a half wide right now. Pumpkins are growing. Zucchini and one ball squash. Green beans, tomatoes are a forest and have set fruit (still green), garlic and shallots will be ready soon, chards and kale are tasty, snap peas, berries. A couple of peppers that could be edible (non-ripe) but the plants are still pretty small. Potatoes are doing well. Corn is maybe 6-9" tall. I need to get pictures of all this...

You are obviously inflexible Dwayner. This isnt a bolting issue and if you have a problem with sensitive "garden chat" perhaps it is in fact your problem and you need to just leave the forum as it was, as your inane input is at times trite and wholly baffling.

Eat more home grown vegetables and maybe some of that fat back you got goin on will melt away.

Now harvesting elephant garlic, zucchini, rasberries, strawberries, and lettuce. Scarlet runner beans in full flower.

Real men grow their own food.

Edited by tvashtarkatena