Garden Report

tvashtarkatena

As far as lettuces go, Little Gem, Sucrine, French Crisp, Valmaine, and Esmerelda are my favorites. Green Deer Tongue is good but gets little white infestations. Flashy Trout Back looks good by doesn't have much taste or texture. Batavian Broadleaf Endive survived the winter snows to be eaten in March. More of a stout than a lager, though...best cut with other stuff.

No more spinach or cilantro for a couple of months. Too warm already.

Scarlet Runner Beans, my favorite hardy pole bean, is flowering already. It'll keep flowering and producing until the bees go home. Then it's time to collect the pods from the best 2 plants for next year's crop.

The Tromboncini (an old world zucchini...the best, IMO) is getting huge.

Asparagus is getting bitter and pencil sized. It's done for the year.

First strawberry on deck. A couple more days.

Rasberries in 2 weeks or so.

Elephant Garlic, planted last Oct, comes out July 1, as usual.

Got little green Sweet Millions, but the Jalapeno hasn't flowered yet.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

put plenty of time prepping my garden this year, then put practically nothign in it - reckon knowing i was gonna be gone for 5 weeks didn't help

what the fucks' the deal w/ peppers? i plant them every year adn then they just sit there, not growing, but not dying - lazy bastards!

at least i can grow tomatoes, the weed of the vegetable wordl

my best luck this year has been all the shit from my kitchen that decided to grow anyway - garlic, potatoes and onions (hmm - pretty much the only veggie type items i eat anyway)

Put Early Jalapenos starts in the ground between May 7 and June 1 and you should have lots of peppers. That's the most prolific kind for our area. Putting them under a cloche until they grown out of it is even better. Side dress them with blood meal (my secret weapon) to get them big and leafy quicker. Get your blood meal at a feed store in bulk, not a nursery, where they'll want your first born (although that might be a desireable option for you). The spot's gotta be completely sun-baked, of course.

All bets are off on any other kind of pepper. They'll grow, but you'll probably be dissappointed with the harvest. Bell types are the most dissapointing.

The kind of stuff I want to grow in my garden, they won't let me. :(

Plant them in your neighbor's yard or in a nearby greenbelt. ;-)

most folks tend to notice 8 foot high stinkweed :) even if they don't, the damn deer sure do!