dumbest piece of gear

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, ice axe would be great too. But they are concerned about weight on the webpage.. do they really intend people to depressurize canisters in the field?

The only situation I can really think of where wanting to depressurize a canister but not being at home or at a car is if you're PCT thru-hiking, or something similar. In that case, you could probably get by with a sharp rock as the awl and another rock as the mallet if you don't have a anything better.

The Snow Peak Cannister Puncher is a dependable piece of quality gear. I've had mine for 3 years and I've field tested the heck out of it. It really stand up after repeated use, especially heavy use when I'm using it to puncture a lot of stuff, like stove cannisters and whatnot. Whether you are camping on the beach in Costa Rica, relaxing at camp on the West Buttress of Denali, or just car camping with the family, the Snow Peak Canister Puncher is the tool for the job. At twice the price it would still be a bargain. The Snow Peak Cannister Punch responds better when you give it a name, like "Punchy". There is nothing like "opening up a can" with the Snow Peak Cannister Puncher.

The Snow Peak Cannister Puncher is a dependable piece of quality gear. I've had mine for 3 years and I've field tested the heck out of it. It really stand up after repeated use, especially heavy use when I'm using it to puncture a lot of stuff, like stove cannisters and whatnot. Whether you are camping on the beach in Costa Rica, relaxing at camp on the West Buttress of Denali, or just car camping with the family, the Snow Peak Canister Puncher is the tool for the job. At twice the price it would still be a bargain. The Snow Peak Cannister Punch responds better when you give it a name, like "Punchy". There is nothing like "opening up a can" with the Snow Peak Cannister Puncher.
:lmao:

When I was a kid my friends and I rode our bikes from Steilacoom out to the Nisqually Reservation where we purchased five M-80's, and a really cool tennis ball with a fuse protruding from it--all for $35.00. John's dad found the tennis ball in his room later that day and confiscated it, but I had retained possession of the M-80's. Feeling responsible for the loss of bomb, John came through with a Bluet Gaz canister lifted from his dad's camping kit and we promptly duct-taped one of the M-80s to it, took it down to Grant's Cove, and lit the fuse. The M-80 went off with a boom and there seemed to be a full second delay before the butane cloud flashed. We could feel the heat from more than 100 feet away. Good times. I'll bet a Coleman propane canister would be even better. Anyway, I'll bet punching a hole into a stove canister and igniting it would make for a great emergency locator/hair removal device.

Best way to dispose of a spent gas cartridge: toss it into the deepest darkest recess in a nearby field of big talus blocks. No one will ever see it again, and in the blink of an (geologic) eye, it will revert to it's natural state, FeO2. Taught to me by a respected NW icon.

Best way to dispose of a spent gas cartridge: toss it into the deepest darkest recess in a nearby field of big talus blocks. No one will ever see it again, and in the blink of an (geologic) eye, it will revert to it's natural state, FeO2. Taught to me by a respected NW icon.

Once you're done with that philosophers' stone transforming Aluminum to Iron, I have some stuff I'd like you to make into titanium.

When I was a kid my friends and I rode our bikes from Steilacoom out to the Nisqually Reservation where we purchased five M-80's, and a really cool tennis ball with a fuse protruding from it--all for $35.00. John's dad found the tennis ball in his room later that day and confiscated it, but I had retained possession of the M-80's. Feeling responsible for the loss of bomb, John came through with a Bluet Gaz canister lifted from his dad's camping kit and we promptly duct-taped one of the M-80s to it, took it down to Grant's Cove, and lit the fuse. The M-80 went off with a boom and there seemed to be a full second delay before the butane cloud flashed. We could feel the heat from more than 100 feet away. Good times. I'll bet a Coleman propane canister would be even better. Anyway, I'll bet punching a hole into a stove canister and igniting it would make for a great emergency locator/hair removal device.

Picking up where FW left off... The following is a true story.

As a kid of about 12 or 13, living in a beach town in Italy, my buds and I decided to explore the intricacies of pyrotechnics one day. Now, these tiny Italian hamlets didn’t have fashionable landfills 35 years ago like we have today. Oh no, it was just a patch of ground in the woods at the edge of town, where some guy (the dump guy) had a backhoe. Every day, he would sort through the "new arrivals" for anything worth keeping, then dig a new hole and push a bunch of shit in it, set it on fire, leave, and wait for it to burn up. Then he'd come back a while later and backfill the hole and start all over the next day.

So my buds and I had found this propane cylinder that felt like it was nearly empty. Now, I’m not talking about a Coleman propane canister. No, I’m talking about what the Italians called a "bombola" and they were used to power your kitchen stove or clothes dryer. These fuckers were about 15 inches in diameter and about 3 feet tall, and were delivered to your home by a service. So you can get an appreciation of how big these things were, figure it’s about the size of a huge expedition pack, almost 6,500 cubic inches. Now that’s fucking huge.

So we found this thing that had apparently fallen off the delivery scooter (we called these scooters "relics" for the lack of a better word, cuz they were generally in pretty shitty shape – here’s a pic of a new one).

arcelik.jpeg

We took turns dragging this bombola along the trails through the woods towards the dump, and we were trying to do this while riding our bikes (don't ask). We had this grand idea that we'd wait for the dump man to light his daily fire and leave, then we'd throw this thing into the hole and see what happens. So we do this thing, and we ran a ways and jumped into one of the other holes in the dump that hadn't been backfilled yet. We're waiting for what seems like forever for this thing to cook off. We thought it would go pretty quick, but WTF did we know? We were just punk kids, right?

Anyway, we discussed getting out of the hole and going over to see what had happened. Just about the time we decided to climb out of the hole and go take a look, the bombola finally cooked off. It was ferocious! Loudest explosion I had ever heard; our ears were clanging. And that wasn’t all... all of the cars and houses along the adjacent street at the end of town had their windows blown out. It was a fucking war zone! And the hole had become an even bigger crater – huge I tell ya!

So there we are, holding our ears, laughing and "congratulating" ourselves on the event’s outcome, when the dump guy starts screaming and yelling at us. Seems he had forgotten something and had come back a little too early, or whatever, but he was there and he was fucking raging mad! Upon later reflection, it seems that we could have killed him, but we didn’t think about that back then. We all jumped on our bikes and high-tailed it into the woods, splitting up our little group at each trail junction. We didn’t even have a rallying point, so we all stayed "hidden" until we got together back at school on Monday. It took us a couple days before we could muster the cajones to ride down that street and do a Battle Damage Assessment. Glass all over the street, windows blown out, shrapnel holes in the sides of cars... it was freakin’ awesome!

But I’m all grown up now and don’t do stuff like that anymore... mostly.

What would be cooler would be to sit on the propane canister, which is in turn sitting on a freshly lit M-80. We used to call this experience a 'rocket ride'. I urge you to try it.