Guns in the Wilderness

KaskadskyjKozak

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any problem with hunting, heck, spent enough time in hunters camps while in school, but this area doesn't seem like a great place for hunting. It's really a sad mistake by some kid.

The thing I don't get is folks that are not hunting carrying guns in the wilderness. WTF - why such a chickenshit? I'm off to AK for a couple weeks of field work near Denali. No guns, no spray. Just keep your frikkin' eyes open.

When I was 13 I was hunting alone in a fairly remote spot.

I had been tracking an elk for a few hours and stopped for an hour to let it think I had given up. Above me there was a thicket and I started hearing rustling coming my way.

I leveled my 30-30 and was ready to fire.

Out walked another hunter.

I will never forget the feeling of having his chest in my sights.

But I did not even come close to pulling the trigger.

Sorry but this kid needs to take responsibility for pulling the trigger.

Do we know that he hasn't taken responsibility for it? Or, are you just supposing?

plasmarifle.jpg

should've learn how to use one of these first, kids these days should have killer instincts and quick reflexes with the amount of time spent with the dual shocks in hand.kill.gif

Do we know that he hasn't taken responsibility for it? Or, are you just supposing?

Are you supposing that I am supposing something?

I didn't suppose anything. I know nothing about him.

I just put out an opinion.

Regardless of the circumstances, he pulled the trigger. It is best for him and all involved to accept that and move forward.

Parts of that will be very harsh regardless of his personal attributes or lack thereof.

I'm not reading this thread. I am just posting because, funny enough, I am going bear hunting this weekend.

But the thread title (and accompanying angry redface icon) made me wonder...why on earth would it be wrong for me to take my rifle in the Wilderness? Where the fuck else am I supposed to hunt?

I'm not reading this thread. I am just posting because, funny enough, I am going bear hunting this weekend.

But the thread title (and accompanying angry redface icon) made me wonder...why on earth would it be wrong for me to take my rifle in the Wilderness? Where the fuck else am I supposed to hunt?

On a golf course... duh... :laf:

XqOCzV7bAoE

Take more than that peashooter of yours, and be safe.

if you look at it from the perspective of "how many times has this happened" then the problem isn't that big of a deal. how many people get killed in car accidents every day? how many people get shot in the city every day? even just accidentally? it could be easy to over respond to a tragedy like this.

One Million Ways to Die

The thing I don't get is folks that are not hunting carrying guns in the wilderness. WTF - why such a chickenshit? I'm off to AK for a couple weeks of field work near Denali. No guns, no spray. Just keep your frikkin' eyes open.

I worked as a river ranger on the Green River in Northern Utah for a 6 months stretch, this is 6 years ago, and had to carry a gun. It was a requirement of the job!

Teen hunter to be charged with first-degree manslaughter

Marta Murvosh | Skagit Valley Herald

August 11, 2008 - 07:18 PM

Charges of first-degree manslaughter will be filed against a 14-year-old boy who fatally shot a hiker on a Sauk Mountain trail after mistaking her for a bear, the prosecutor confirmed this evening.

Prosecutor Rich Weyrich said that the Concrete teen acted recklessly when he fired his rifle Aug. 2 across a trail that switchbacks along the south side of the mountain. The teen will be charged as a juvenile, but Weyrich said he did not plan to have the boy taken into custody.

The Skagit Valley Herald generally does not publish the names of juvenile defendants.

Pamela Almli, 54, of Oso, was shot in the head as she bent over to put a jacket into a backpack. Her friend, Lois Peterson, stood about two feet away.

The teen, who was accompanied by his 16-year-old brother, was about 120 yards away from Almli when he pulled the trigger, sending a .270-caliber bullet from his rifle.

Weyrich said the teen failed to follow several guidelines in the state’s hunting safety manual — mainly being sure of a target and what lies beyond it in the bullet’s path.

The boy, a licensed hunter who took the hunting class when he was 9 years old, is required by state law to know and follow the regulations.

Weyrich said the boys didn’t use binoculars to look for game and relied only on rifle scopes. Also, fog that day reduced visibility to between 20 feet and 100 yards, making it difficult to see the target, the prosecutor said.

Almli wore a light- to medium-blue windbreaker and her friend, a gray jacket, and Weyrich said that the color Almli wore was not one that a hunter should have mistaken for a bear, and the other woman should also have been visible to the hunters.

The boys were hunting while their grandfather waited in a vehicle. Washington law does not require juvenile hunters be accompanied by an adult.

If convicted, the 14-year-old boy faces up to nine months in a state juvenile detention facility.

The boys were hunting while their grandfather waited in a vehicle. Washington law does not require juvenile hunters be accompanied by an adult. WTF???

A hunting course that a 9 year old can pass? something is wrong here. Does winchester put on the courses?

Pfffft! Of course not, silly TreeToad. GW Bush does.

How the hell do ya think Dick Cheney passed? :rolleyes: