[TR] North Cascades - Scurlock's Backyard 4/12/20

olyclimber

Trip: North Cascades - Scurlock's Backyard

Date: 4/12/2008

Trip Report:

I was lucky enough to go flying with John Scurlock (the "Washburn of the North Cascades") on Saturday and he gave me a great tour of his backyard. We had been planning the trip since before I broke my leg, and was pumped to get John's "all systems go" email early in the week. I haven't flown in a plane of that size before, and I didn't really know what to expect. When I arrived at the hangar and got a look at the plane, the magnitude of it all sort of hit me. Now I'm not afraid of my own work, but to trust my life in a flying contraption that I assembled with my own hands? John is truely a Big Baller. The kit plane that John put together is a delicate little sports plane. You've got to be careful easing yourself into the seat so you don't break off any flaps (well it probably isn't that delicate, but you don't take any risks in heeding John's advice as to how to get into the plane). Once you're in the plane John walks you through the simple but elaborate harness system and hands you a noise canceling headset so you can talk with him over the noise of the plane. Before we take off there is a call to Kelly Bush with a rough flight plan, a thoughtful precaution.

You taxi across the grass and get on the end of the runway so you're against the wind. Then you start take off, which is exciting in a plane with a rear tail wheel. Right before you take off the plane lurches forward as you've got to get the rear wheel off the ground first. Thankfully John pre-warned me about this and I left his seat unsoiled.

Once in the air we started climbing and headed towards Mt. Baker. We pass a small limestone mountain, apparently of the same stuff that helped create the town of Concrete. We climbed and Mt. Baker got closer and closer. Soon you could make out the snowmobile tracks as the riders made high marks on the glacier. You could see the specks below, bunches of sledneckers riding around.

We started slowly circling Mt. Baker, but didn't get too close John pointed out the snow blowing off the pass between the mountain and Colfax, which represented some wind we didn't want to get into. After a couple times around Baker, we moved on to the perfect pyramid of Shuksan which we circled a couple of times.

After this it was pretty much a blur of beauty to me. We made our way to the North Pickets, then the south. All along John runs through the names of all the peaks and various information about them, it is obvious that he enjoys researching and learning as much as possible about his backyard hills. Over here is the "largest gain from valley to summit in the shortest distance" or some such claim to fame (Mt. Davis). Over there is Wayne's Mongo Ridge (well, he didn't have to point that one out to me). John has each peak etched in his mind from the thousands of photographs he has taken in all sorts of light (when I get home, I find that even after filling an 8 gig card with RAW images that only so many turn out. It is certainly a learned art to take photos from his plane). I overloaded on the view and just snapped away, filling up my mind and memory card, but at least I'll have a GPS track to remember where we went and what photo goes where.

We didn't hit too much turbulence, but a bit started shaking the plane as we turned and dove back towards Concrete. John let me take controls of the plane for a while, and I barely resisted the urge to do a barrel roll. Actually, I didn't try anything fancy or dramatic, just barely moved the stick, it is an amazing feeling to fly a plane. But of course, the more engaging part is the actually take off and landing of the plane.

I think for me the most exciting part of the whole flight was the landing. First you head directly for a small hill, getting a little close for the untrained eye before making a U-turn back towards the airport. Right before the landing you're skimming some trees and headed almost directly at the airstrip ( I mean, at the same elevation). Its definitely something that for me to perform would take some getting used to, but my faith in John once again kept my shorts and the passenger seat clean of debris.

It was definitely an experience that I hope to repeat and won't ever forget. John provided the narrative of an experienced guide, and it is obvious that he knows and loves his backyard. Thanks John!

Here are a few pictures I took, though I can't even begin to compare to the unbelievable resource John has provided to climbers here.

nooksack.jpg

shucksan.jpg

mcmillan.jpg

mongo.jpg

goode1.jpg

cornice.jpg

eldo.jpg

landing.jpg

HDR.jpg

plane2.jpg

Gear Notes:

kit plane

Approach Notes:

avoid staters on your way to concrete

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u r welcome Porter, that was a good flight. glad we were finally able to pull it off. your description of the landing reminded me of a couple of things; I remember the first few times I flew in and out of there, fifteen or twenty yr ago, and how intimidating it was. Also, what is familiar to me now, can seem a bit crazy to those who haven't had the experience. Coming in and out of there so much has provided the skills I've used to land in all sorts of wild places, from Montana & Idaho up into BC. You'd love my friend's private strip over at Duncan, about 1500 ft long, one way in, off the shore of a lake between cottonwood trees, uphill about 200 ft slope. & don't land in the first 300 ft because it's muddy... you stop pretty quick going up hill like that. Makes Concrete look like SeaTac.

That track is disjointed because the gps recorder only picks up a point every 15 sec. I notice it even shows our taxiing back to the hangar though...

Glorious photos of the Range! I'm certainly a big fan of Mr. Scurlock's work. However, as a fellow private pilot, I kinda feel the need to point out that it looks as though he's in violation of the FAA minimum altitude rule over NP's (2000 ft within ~1/2 mile of the nearest high point, I think, without consulting the FARAim). ? Not the greatest precedent, especially given that the photos are so public....

However, as a fellow private pilot, I kinda feel the need to point out that it looks as though he's in violation of the FAA minimum altitude rule over NP's (2000 ft within ~1/2 mile of the nearest high point, I think, without consulting the FARAim). ? Not the greatest precedent, especially given that the photos are so public....

Here is the applicable Advisory Circular AC-91-36D: http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/admiralty/packcreek/AC91-36d.pdf

The FAA does not currently have restrictive flight rules for NCNP such as one might find in Grand Canyon National Park. That could certainly change if park airspace is abused by aviators.

I have a long history of cooperation with NCNP/NPS, USGS, & USFS on a number of projects, involving flight over national parks, wilderness areas, and other federal lands in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California, & Wyoming; on that basis, I think it's probably best if you let me tend to the regulatory side of what I do, on my own. That's something I'm very familiar with and have discussed with my federal friends on a number of occasions.

Uh, right. So 2000 feet is both correct and voluntary. So what are you disputing with regard to my suggestion? Geez... And as a former NOCA employee and still a current federal employee, I wish you the best with your "regulatory" obligations.

Chode-guy, thanks for the really helpful comments. We can all benefit from your wit and clever insults. I also appreciate your implicit permission to clip your gear as I rocket by you in the mountains this summer. Cheers!

Chode-guy, thanks for the really helpful comments. We can all benefit from your wit and clever insults. I also appreciate your implicit permission to clip your gear as I rocket by you in the mountains this summer. Cheers!

Hey Dumbass: You're welcome. Spend a few minutes learning about how dumb you are before you make it common knowledge next time. Perhaps a quick search on this board, or on pbase, or thumbing through Alpinist, would have clued you in on your extra chromosome.

Regardless, I'm sure you won't be leaving your cubicle too much this summer, busy reading your regulations and all, but if you do manage to pass me as lounge at the belay, I'll be sure to clove-hitch you to my last piece before I cut your rope and offer your partner a rap to the ground. Cheers!