The sad f#$%ing truth

Peter_Puget

I was trying to persuade a friend to come visit this summer. Here is his reply. Hard to argue with the truth.

More time has been spent discussing T's tits than climbing over the past few months.

....sounds great but I know the reality of [climbing in]Wa. BORING Are you climbing now? all good here in Tuscany.Ciao

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Peter, have you climbed Rainier yet? Any alpine climbing whatsoever? I can see a rock jock running out of things to do here, but it's the mountaineering that makes Washington special. People travel from far away to climb in the Cascades. We should bag a peak this summer.

P.S. You can invite your friend.

Edited by pope

Hey Peter, have you hiked Rainier yet? Any alpine climbing whatsoever? I can see a rock jock running out of things to do here, but it's the mountaineering that makes Washington special. People travel from far away to climb in the Cascades. We should bag a peak this summer.

P.S. You can invite your friend.

Nope haven't hiked Rainier yet. Sure I've alpine climbed. Sierra, Canandian Rockies and smattering of WA. (Coleman headwall, Sleese, Prussik) Once around '81 I drove 1,000 miles just to climb Drury but weather changed and thankfuly we went rock climbing instead.

Anyway I think he was referring to the social scene more than the actual terrain.

If you think it's boring the summer, you are nuts

bwahahahha..you are trying to compare climbing in the cascades to the dolomites or the Alps...hahahahahahahha..thats funny shit

No I would not try and sucker some guy from Italy to climb here..go there Peter!! I will be there this year again!!

Nope haven't hiked Rainier yet.

The rude dude gots 'tude. Listen, you just committed a couple of fouls:

1. You changed the verb "climbed" to "hiked" in my quote.

2. You trivialized a mighty NW mountain that is sacred to many mountaineering legends.

3. You insulted Big Lou (see #2).

4. You trivialized a mountain you've never climbed.

5. Through these actions (1-4) you've just thumbed your nose at a friendly invitation.

This is very disappointing. I was ready to smoke the peace pipe with you, maybe introduce you to Big Lou, maybe even introduce you to ......Dwayner. But you blew it.

Anyway I think he was referring to the social scene more than the actual terrain.

More than likely. Is he the guy with whom I saw you climbing Batskins?

Show him some pics like this and don't talk about the food here:

He's no stranger to Trout and I am sure he's a more widely traveled rock climber than anyone else posting here.

Well - dude sounds sharp, you're screwed then. He won't be heading this way for either the food, ambiance, rain or the routes. You should just go see him, Dolomites will be warm and awesome, along with the great ambiance and sightseeing stuff his way.

Nope haven't hiked Rainier yet.

The rude dude gots 'tude. Listen, you just committed a couple of fouls:

1. You changed the verb "climbed" to "hiked" in my quote.

2. You trivialized a mighty NW mountain that is sacred to many mountaineering legends.

3. You insulted Big Lou (see #2).

4. You trivialized a mountain you've never climbed.

5. Through these actions (1-4) you've just thumbed your nose at a friendly invitation.

This is very disappointing. I was ready smoke the peace pipe with you, maybe introduce you to Big Lou, maybe even introduce you to ......Dwayner. But you blew it.

More than likely. Is he the guy with whom I saw you climbing Batskins?

No kidding Peter. I'm in on this expedition, and would like to be a part of the summit team. I'm not saying I will be, I would like to be. It would be an honor to hold such company, and there are worse places to spend an afternoon.

• 5 months later...

A little perspective may be hard to take but I think Puget has a point.

I like the Cascades as much as anybody and have climbed more routes on Rainier than most posters here. I've also traveled a fair bit and climbed in ranges elsewhere. The Cascades have their charm, but I can't understand anybody claiming any "best" status or even thinking that the big R is some god of a mountain. Seriously: if I was going to fly somewhere and rent a car to climb something it'd be in Alaska or British Columbia or Yosemite, not Rainier or even the Picketts.

The same goes for cc.com. I post near as much as anybody around and I strongly support the site. I promote it and organize cc.com events and have made lots of friends here. But we've got some serious warts and cc culture kind of sucks. As PP said: on any given day there's more talk about the size of TVash' tits than climbing and with regard to most climbs theres more name calling and jive than beta and stoke.

We are all a bunch of pathetic losers in reality, and I include myself in that statement.

We are all a bunch of pathetic losers in reality, and I include myself in that statement.

We could all upgrade our status immensely by moving to Tuscany and living the good life! What's Cillys address I'm heading over and moving in his basement:-)

to quote a friend of mine. fuck all y'all and the rest of ya too.

the cascades are great b/c they're fucking here and and lot of fucking fun. best? i dunno. can't say as i've ever thought that but they're pretty good stuff to have in your backyard.

want something else? take a vacation? move! whatever