Are You Drugged?

dmuja

Just curious.

Almost half of Americans (according to a 2 yr old CDC report) are on at least one prescription drug. According to 60 minutes last night there is a clear trend toward drugging our kids for things like "bipolar disorder" even at ages like 3-5 years old!

Ive known parents who drug their kids with cough medicine to calm them down. My Ex (who has custody) just put my 11yr old daughter on prescription allergy meds (for the rest of her life?) as opposed to attempting to discern and remove the allergen from her environment.

I know a lot of fat acquaintance's who opt for blood sugar controllers and blood pressure meds over diet and excersize. Seems to me like they are inventing more and more "diseases" all the time and inventing pills to take for them.

Military Industrial Complex?

What about the Medical Industrial Complex?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you mention the allergy pills--I was just talking about that in the other thread.

If her allergies are bad enough (and not seasonal) then yes, it may be the rest of her life. And if they are bad enough, you may shorten her life if you don't let her take them. And you cannot remove allergens from your environment that easily, unless you stay in the same environment and don't let anyone in.

In her case though, they did no testing for the cause etc.. Neither side of the family has a history of allergies either. It seems odd to me and much too quick to jump on the "medical solution". Unfortunately, pills are the answer to everything these days it seems.

They know what causes allergies--an abnormal histimine reaction. They can only test for specific allergens. This involves a great number of shots and is uncomfortable. Why do that to a kid? You can always do it later--the allergies will still be there.

And allergies are not inherited. Whether family members have them or not is immaterial. I think if you do a little more research on the subject--starting a dialogue here is a great way to get people's experiences but actually reading more med stuff on it may help you be more at peace with her limited options.

Oh, and when she does get tested for the specific allergens she can have shots specifically designed for her. It is generally a series of three and is required every season. Then, you don't have the constant pill thing.

Thanks for this, its good advise and info. In my case, unless I unleash my expensive laywer, I am basically powerless to influence the situation. Im prolly a little biased because I cant stand my ex or her drugged up family. Half of them are on lithium or some kind of anti depressent and the comunication is somewhat lacking. In her family if anyone ever feels "sad" they run to the shrink and get doped up. In my day we had a few down moments once in a while but went with it. Now days it seems that if you ever feel even slight discomfort for a minute or 2 it is called "abnormal".

Oh, and when she does get tested for the specific allergens she can have shots specifically designed for her. It is generally a series of three and is required every season. Then, you don't have the constant pill thing.

Thanks for this, its good advise and info. In my case, unless I unleash my expensive laywer, I am basically powerless to influence the situation. Im prolly a little biased because I cant stand my ex or her drugged up family. Half of them are on lithium or some kind of anti depressent and the comunication is somewhat lacking. In her family if anyone ever feels "sad" they run to the shrink and get doped up. In my day we had a few down moments once in a while but went with it. Now days it seems that if you ever feel even slight discomfort for a minute or 2 it is called "abnormal".

Your reaction is understandable given this experience.

Allergy medicine is in no way psychotropic. It will not change the way she feels emotionally or thinks about things. But, it will make her healthier. Not only will it increase her general comfort level, it could possibly affect her in other ways. For example, I had allergies a long time before learning that's what they were (I finally went to the doc because I was sure I was going to die from throat cancer-it hurt bad for about 8 months or so). My sinuses inside my head were so full that my brain wasn't getting all the oxygen it needs--especially during sleep. I wish I could use this as an excuse for being an airhead, but mostly it just explained why I was getting annoying headaches and always felt tired. There are lots of side-effects from allergies that we don't think about. Anti-histimins are a godsend. And I can't even spell them--jeez.

Im prolly a little biased because I cant stand my ex or her drugged up family. Half of them are on lithium or some kind of anti depressent and the comunication is somewhat lacking.

Maybe you should have thought about that before the ring went on her finger..... :wazup:

Im prolly a little biased because I cant stand my ex or her drugged up family. Half of them are on lithium or some kind of anti depressent and the comunication is somewhat lacking.

Maybe you should have thought about that before the ring went on her finger..... :wazup:

Ya, no shit. Half your kids genes come from that pool.

I take the OTC non-drowsy antihistamine loratidine, the generic for Claritin. It does an okay job of controlling symptoms and as advertised does not make me sleepy.

I know what I am allergic to, but all are difficult but not impossible to remove from the environment: cats, dust mites, and mold.

soda and energy drinks still call my name but i think i finally stoped my craving for alchol, bout time, i feel way better, in the last 3 months ive only had 3 beers (3 difernt ocasions) 2 glasses of wine on my b-day, and some socky( however you spell it the warm stuff is good with sushi) once.

not bad for a guy that for close to 2 yrs drank atleast every other day, the first yr i was drinking almost everyday.

soda and energy drinks still call my name but i think i finally stoped my craving for alchol, bout time, i feel way better, in the last 3 months ive only had 3 beers (3 difernt ocasions) 2 glasses of wine on my b-day, and some socky( however you spell it the warm stuff is good with sushi) once.

not bad for a guy that for close to 2 yrs drank atleast every other day, the first yr i was drinking almost everyday.

That would be a tough one for me. I enjoy a good glass (or bottle) of wine every night. Usually it starts with a healthy shot of vodka from the freezer, then move on to a slow burn with the wine. It's perfect.

I think it's a good balance since I don't do soda or energy drinks. Usually one cup of coffee a day in the morning. I had the high cholesterol thing several years ago. Diet and exercise DO work.

Like Bill Maher said the other night: "Hillary's health plan contains the word 'drugs' fourteen times. 'Diet and exercise,' once...just as the pharmaceutical companies wanted it."