Need help with research project: gear manufacturers

fredrogers

I'm doing a little research project and need some input from all you spraymeisters. Who do you think makes the best gear and why? Who makes the worst? Who sold out?

TNF?

Marmot?

Arcteryx?

Mountain Hardwear?

Moonstone?

Sierra Designs?

Helly Hansen?

Cloudveil?

Mammut?

Wild Things?

Jagged Edge?

Solstice?

Others?

TIA for your thoughts. [big Drink]

[ 07-03-2002, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: fredrogers ]

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of gear? Softgoods or hardware? I love my Mtn Hardware & Moonstone 3-ply Gtex. Arc'teryx makes a bombproof pack. Black Diamond seems to hit a homerun every time with their hardware (rock pro, etc.). Guinness makes great stout. My $.02 [big Drink]

The Cloudveil Serendipity jacket is the biggest mistake I ever made buying gear. It was billed as breathable and windproof and was very expensive. It was supposedly capable of replacing two lighter layers, thus desireable for the weight conscious. Breathable?? Absolutely!!

It was like wearing nothing and I half froze trying it out on the Muir snowfield. I tried it several more times with the same results. Insulating qualities?? None!! A total waste of money, unless you want to wear it as a fashion statement in Bellvue on a windless sixty degree day. As such, I feel the Cloudveil line is way overpriced, misrepresented, and non-functional.

Okay, here's my list of favorite gear...

Harnesses:

Probably my favorite harness was an Arc Teryx Verro. I would still be using it, but I out grew it (I packed on a spare tire).

I now own a Petzl Corax (I think). It is infinitely adjustable, but they do not use an adjustable fastex buckle and strap to adjust the rise of the leg loops in the back.

Carabiners:

DMM Eclipse - if you're looking for big, fat, easy clippin' biners these are the ones to use...

Wiregate biners:

WildCountry Big Wires. They are easy to clip, and easy to handle. They're close to being the perfect carabiner.

Cams:

WildCountry Tech Friends

IMHO they are easier to place and lighter than BD camalots. I am now a convert!

Metolius TCU's are SUPERB for small cracks. I can't say anything about Aliens since I've never used them.

Nuts:

DMM wallnuts are okay, but they can be pretty hard to remove from good placements. The ABC Huevos are easy to remove and are color coded. I used a friend's set and I was thoroughly impressed. Plus the price is right!

Ropes: I've always used PMI or Mammut 10.5/10.6. The sheaths seem to standup to a lot of wear and tear, and the ropes have a good hand. Friends tell me Edelweiss makes some great ropes (never used one).

I'm honestly not as big of a fan of BD as I used to be since there are other manufacturers out there that make as good or better gear. Don't get me wrong - they make great stuff, but I'm not too happy with how they deal with their retailers.

Tents: I own a Mountain Hardwear Winterlight and an older Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight. Both are great. MH seems to put a lot of thought into their tent designs.

My friend just purchased a Bibler, and it is the CADILLAC of mountaineering tents.

Sleeping Bags: Well, I have owned a North Face down bag for nearly a decade and it sucks! Their newer models do not appear to have changed much. I will say I like the Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering Bags I have seen.

Soft Goods:

Gloves: Granite Gear makes some great shell gloves-the best I have ever used.

Waterproof Breathable Jackets/pants/Bibs

Mountain Hardwear makes great jackets, but they are a little heavy. The Arc Teryx parkas look pretty nice and are lighter than MH models. I had a pair of Moonstone Sauvage Bibs that have held up pretty well. I will say my first Gore-Tex parka and bibs were made by Solstice. I wasn't too impressed with the construction. Plus, I had problems with water leaking through my bibs, and for some reason Solstice said they would not cover it under warranty (even though they did not even look at it). I haven't had any experience with Marmot, so I cannot say too much good or bad. I do like their catalogs though.

Fleece: The best fleece jacket I own is an Arc Teryx (plus I bought it at half price).The only thing is that it does not have pit zips-I just hate the trend toward removing pit zips from fleece. MH's Chill Factor fleece has pit zips, but they don't fit as nice as the Arc Teryx, and they do not sport a drawcord hem.

SportHill Polartec X Static tops: These are great! Wicking action is great, plus no bad odor!! Mountain Hardwear uses the same material in their long underwear, but the SportHill products are cheaper than MH's.

Patagonia is a GREAT company, and I would love to buy more of their stuff, but they are a little pricey (kinda like everyone else though).

Packs:

Gregory - My favorite Pack is a Gregory Reality. It carries a lot of heavy gear comfortably, but for the alpinist (definitely not me) it would be better if the gear loops were on the hipbelt and not on the side of the pack. I have also had a pre K2 Dana Gleason Dana Designs Terraplane I used to use for backpacking. It was super comfy when carrying a heavy load.

I owned a Bora 65, but ended up selling it. It was WAY too heavy, and just didn't fit right (more of an issue with my body type). I have heard nothing but good things about their lighter weight packs, but I am not a fan of their Bora series.

Misc climbing gear:

Mountain Tools Web-O-Lette. These guys make all kinds of cool and interesting stuff for the climber.

Brands I really hate:

REI branded products-they suck because they don't last (and they're not very well designed).

North Face - I simply do not like the company, plus I have had bad experiences with their products.

[ 07-03-2002, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: bellemontagne ]

Oh I forgot some stuff...

Climbing Shoes:

Boreal Ace's

Honorable mention 5.10 Huecos - they were super comfy in the store, but I thought the toes were too big for jamming in cracks.

Hiking Boots

I bought a pair of Salomon Super Mountains 8's in the fall. They're about as comfy as a heavy mountaineering boot can get. They weren't uncomfortable during the brak in period. One day I even forgot my insoles, and I had no complaints.

I just don't get this Schoeller stuff. It's a nice idea, but it seems a little pricey for what it does. It seems like there is too much apparrel specialization in the outdoor apparel industry.

Snowboard:

Ride Timeless (but they were bought out by K2... too bad).

Best Sandals:

Birkenstocks. Chacos are nice, but their arch support is not as good as Birkenstocks IMHO.

Mountain Bike

Gary Fisher - Unfortunately they are owned by Trek, but I still love their bikes.

Car manufacturer:

Subaru

I'll think up some more.

Fred, I believe that packs, tents, bags, etc are actually considered hard goods in the industry. Soft goods = stuff you wear.

That aside,

I love Arc'teryx apparel and packs - excellent quality, no superfluous crap, some nicely specialized pieces (packs). No extra fabric flapping around my arms with their outerwear, no bulky storm flaps, or pockets that I can't figure out what to do with (damn, I hate ending a sentence with a preposition).

TNF, Marmot, Mtn Hardwear, Sierra Designs all seem to be headed in a similar direction, going for some of the trimmed-down ultra-light pieces with which Arc'teryx led.

Mammut does some great Schoeller pieces, but I love my Arc'teryx Gamma LT just fine.

I have used and since replaced: TNF Kichatna parka (I could have put a pole in it and used it as a bivy sack);

Jagged Edge - WAY too bulky Primaloft jkt

Moonstone - fleece jkt with cuffs that nearly cut off my circulation... and I don't have thick wrists;

Mountainsmith pack - I should have run the other way when I heard "all the bells & whistles" come out of the salesperson's mouth.

Still like my Marmot Driclime and Vindi windshirts.

Love my REI Downtime and Sub-kilo bags.

If I think of any more opinions, I'll send you a PM.

jules

outerwear = Arc'Teryx

sleeping bags:

1. Marmot (best semi-massed produced bags)

2. Honorable mention to Moonstone's 800 fill bags.

3. Feathered Friends best overall.

Hardwear (biners, cams, nuts, draws, etc.) = BD with cudos to Metolious

More specific, Grivel makes the best crampons overall

Ice tools & screws = BD

Footwear/boots = Tecnica & Plastics = Koflachs

Tents = Bibler with honarable mention to some TNF tents

Stoves = MSR

Beer = Redhook

Dont forget these new brands:

Scot’tegral Designs - tents made of Scot’ Tex® (smokeproof)

The Scott’ Face - "Never Stop Smoking"

Scot’tlet Moser - ice gear made of plastic

Scot’telweiss

Scot’TOOLIUS

Scot’t Country - "The pot company"

Scot’tain Hardwear

Scot’tovox - world's number #1 in smoke detectors

[Razz]

No, seriously i'm with erik on this one. Free stuff is good stuff [Roll Eyes]

Ill says it's hard to make a choice. But one thing is for sure NO ONE MANUFACTURER MAKE THE BEST OF EVERYTHING!!! Ill say, my wardrobe is build from a collection of brands and I have no favorite, since they ALL MY FAVORITE. Ill say that its all come down to fabric, design and quality. They all will fit in to the good to excellent quality, but will differentiate in the design and fabric. Therefore, Ill try whatever I think fit my wallet and me the best.

Any and I mean any review on the magazines is totally biased. I do not believe to the brainwash they give to peoples. The only way to see if certain piece is working and with me giving it credibility is- to randomly select you average Jo from this site (or alike) and let them test it for a while and write their opinion about it.

PROFESSIONAL CLIMBERS WILL BE CERTAINLY BIASED. SINCE THAT’S HOW THEY CAN GET SPONSORED AND THAT IS EXACLY HOW THEY CAN BECOME PROFESSIONALS, AND CLIMB ALL DAY. SINCE THEY GET PAID BY THOSE MANUFACTURES

[Wink][geek][Roll Eyes]

quote:

NO ONE MANUFACTURER MAKE THE BEST OF EVERYTHING!!!

I second that. I love Metolius TCU's, but I don't like their four cam units. Black Diamond Camalots >.5 are great. However, I do not like the action of their micro camalots. (I LOVE Wild Country TECH Friends though).

Arc Teryx makes great harnesses and clothes, but I do not like their Bora series of backpacks. On the other hand, I love Gregory's packs. I also think Mountain Hardwear makes great Gore-Tex shells; however, I do not necessarily like the fit or design of their Chill Factor fleece.

I will say that some companies have a better philosophy and better business practices than others (such as Patagonia versus The North Face).

It just so happens that what fits my body may not be what fit someone elses. And, features I value or need may not be features that others value or need. However, good companies will tend to have higher quality in all of their products across the board. They will also have ethical and consistent business practices.

quote:

Originally posted by fredrogers:

I'm doing a little research project and need some input from all you spraymeisters. Who do you think makes the best gear and why? Who makes the worst? Who sold out?

TNF?

Marmot?

Arcteryx?

Mountain Hardwear?

Moonstone?

Sierra Designs?

Helly Hansen?

Cloudveil?

Mammut?

Wild Things?

Jagged Edge?

Solstice?