Mountie Alert:: Royal Columns

Toast

Just a heads up to folks heading to Tieton Canyon. The Everett Mountaineers are running their Leading on Rock classes at Royal Columns May 26-27 and next weekend, June 2nd and 3rd. We'll work around other climbers at the crag and yield to routes not being climbed, but Western Front and Rap Route are going to be crowded.

Thanks,

tt

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be the one getting in their way, putting up ropes and leaving them there to give them some of their own medicine.

I agree, a holiday weekend? Fuck the mounties.

A good question might be, will a class of 20 use more or fewer routes, and cause more or less disruption than 10 groups of 2?

Not that I've ever seen more than 6 or 8 other people at Royal Columns on any given day.

Interesting. A Mountie associate posts a fair warning, politely advises folks of what's coming, even states that they'll try to work around other climbers waiting on routes....NONE OF WHICH THEY HAVE TO DO, BY THE WAY....

and they get slammed with this:

I'll be the one getting in their way, putting up ropes and leaving them there to give them some of their own medicine.

I wonder what motivation they should have to post similar warnings in the future if this is what they get?

I don't like it when big groups monopolize popular areas...and I dread seeing such large groups show up, too...and perhaps a holiday weekend isn't the most considerate choice -- but they have to choose the weekend that best fits their groups' needs, not the needs of the general public....

I have slammed the mounties in the past and come to regret it after actually talking with some of them who are a lot more conscious about their impact than I previously thought.

I agree with what you are saying. I am also assuming they are individuals just like us and can take a bit of shit.

One thing I notice, when we are out there, we all tend to figure out how to get along--even if that means avoidance, changing one's plans, whatever. We all agree that being outside is in everyone's best interest and the more involvement in outdoor sports the more support our parks and wilderness will get.

We don't hang ropes were are not actively using. I'm sorry if you have encountered people who do that. If you see a route with a rope hanging and no climbers, you have a right to ask that that rope be pulled so you can climb the route.

It was a joke. I don't ever hog routes.

But i will be drinking mass quantities of Knob Creek and smoking huge bubblers while climbing at the Royal Columns. I'll work around other climbers and try not blow smoke their way.

JL

The thing to remember is that if you want to just give someone shit, go do it in Spray. This is one of those forums where a greater degree of civility is required. That doesn't mean agreement, but statements like "fuck the mounties" are way out of line.

Frankly, I think announcements about where classes will be conducted are considerate and laudable, they have the same rights to be at the crags as any of us, and a proactive move to allow others to plan their climbing days to avoid frustrating surprises.

THink the problem was that you forgot your sarcasim (sp?) font.

Just as a prior poster said, I would like to reiterate. Thanks for the info. We can at least make other choices. To tell the truth wish other large organized groups did the same thing. Say like at Smith.

Edited by letsroll

The thing to remember is that if you want to just give someone shit, go do it in Spray. This is one of those forums where a greater degree of civility is required. That doesn't mean agreement, but statements like "fuck the mounties" are way out of line.

Frankly, I think announcements about where classes will be conducted are considerate and laudable, they have the same rights to be at the crags as any of us, and a proactive move to allow others to plan their climbing days to avoid frustrating surprises.

ms word

Have the mountie's thought it might be a nice idea for them NOT to hold class over a holiday weekend??

Apparently not the guy who scheduled the dates :anger:

I have a pair of tickets to Sasquatch for sale cheap cheap. PM me if interested.