Blackwater

olyclimber

This is not intended as another charge Serenity must answer. I just saw it and thought, "I know the perfect fire for that gasoline..."

"Oct. 15, 2007 issue - The colonel was furious. "Can you believe it? They actually drew their weapons on U.S. soldiers." He was describing a 2006 car accident, in which an SUV full of Blackwater operatives had crashed into a U.S. Army Humvee on a street in Baghdad's Green Zone. The colonel, who was involved in a follow-up investigation and spoke on the condition he not be named, said the Blackwater guards disarmed the U.S. Army soldiers and made them lie on the ground at gunpoint until they could disentangle the SUV. His account was confirmed by the head of another private security company. Asked to address this and other allegations in this story, Blackwater spokesperson Anne Tyrrell said, "This type of gossip has led to many soap operas in the press."

Like most people- and all of the anti-war crowd I know- I have nothing but respect for our military personnel. What angers me is the collision of private interest and public good. While any number of factors could have led to the story above, I find the mindset of the policy behind it to be most troubling. Rome's Praetorian Guard comes to mind. The Praetorians began as a cadre of private bodyguards and evolved into a political cancer that helped destroy Rome. Is the analogy stretched? Sure. On the other hand, I still don't understand the humbrage taken over the use of the word "mercenary". To my mind, being a mercenary is as noble a profession as any number of other jobs- they just have no place in American government.

And I'll defend that at length, after I go climbing.

The rest of the piece is here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21163806/site/newsweek

Edited by pdawg

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soldiers found no evidence gunmen fired on Blackwater

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- U.S. soldiers investigating a shooting by Blackwater guards that left 17 Iraqis dead found no evidence the security contractors were fired upon, a source familiar with a preliminary U.S. military report said Friday.

The soldiers also found evidence suggesting the guards fired on cars that were trying to leave Nusoor Square in Baghdad during the shootings, the military source said.

The report said the weapons casings found by soldiers, who arrived about 20 minutes after the shooting subsided, matched only those used by U.S. military and contractors, the source said.

The soldiers "did not find any cartridge casings that would have matched those used by Iraqi security forces or insurgents," the source said.

Blackwater has no comment on the report, spokesman Anne Tyrell said.

It seems like just about anything can happen over there.

I got the skully to my face (hardcore)

I got the skully to my face (hardcore)

cause anything can happen at the Carnival

(Yo make room, make room, make room, MAKE ROOM, make room)

You can't stop the shining

Yo, don't slip Mike

You don't want to go there is all, trust me

I know your girl wit you, but you don't want to get embarassed

Trust me

[Chorus:]

Yo, when you're rolling to the Carnival, anything can happen

What, what, say what, say what, anything can happen

Making love to your girlfriend, anything can happen

What? Say what, say what, anything can happen

She's sleepin wit your best friend cause anything can happen

Wh-a-at? Say what, say what, anything can happen

You roll down the block, come back with your gat

and POW, cause anything can happen

[Verse One:]

Feel this composition, it's a brand new dub

First thing I did, was went to the pub

Tequila with worm, lemon, salt, and no rocks

Cause when it hits my chest -- it gots to be hot

Uh haha, stop, 'Clef can I rock, yo

Get out the bathroom, let me go again from the top

Feel this composition, I wrote it in the tub

First thing I did, was went to the pub

Tequila with worm, lemon, salt, and no rocks

Cause when it hits my chest -- it gots to be hot

Ahhh, stop, 'Clef can I rock

I'd like to give a shout out to my people on the block

For you Silly Willy playin thug cartoon

My infrared scope got your movements on zoom

Boom new toon, write songs in my room

Sleeping with the bride, even though I ain't the groom

Your husband assume, come back with his goons

Put me in the trunk on your way to your honeymoon

Radio my platoon, Wyclef to Sev'

'I hear them playing Elvis, they on they way to Graceland

But they don't scare me, I'm in the trunk, I ain't sorry

Natural born killer, who slept with the enemy'

Think quick, what should I do, what did double-oh-seven do?

I pulled a bomb from my shoe (hahahahaha)

And exploded the trunk (blaooww) I woke up half drunk

Over looked by a bunch of gypsies wit a bag of skunk

You got the skully to your face, star, anything can happen

Sellin crack in the corner, man, anything can happen

What? Say what, say what anything can happen

I just got laid off, anything can happen

You don't wanna go there, cause anything can happen

[Verse Two:]

Aiyyo, anything can happen, you can't stop the shining

You lookin at my watch, but my mind's really the diamond

Nine to the Seven, you better off steppin

When I'm writin with my pen, it turns into a lethal weapon (Ding!)

Take this lesson, to your next session

I suggest, you practice with the freshman

Sophomore, junior, then come check the senior

By then I would have graduated from the school of ruckus

Wyclef and Jerry Wonder, last of the producers

If the royalty ain't right, I put a call to Donny Eina

But always stay humble went from bummy to neat

Cause money break groups up like the Five Heartbeats

Don't get souped cause you, pushin a Coupe

Next year you on foot, runnin from a lawsuit

For example, I know I'm nice, I don't front it

Least anticipated, to the most wanted

Yeah, that's me in the spotlight

With a mic and a guitar, like M.O.P., I like it raw

Yo, when you're rollin to the Carnival, anything can happen

Every man got disciples, anything can happen

Its all about survival man, anything can happen

Hah, say what, say what, anything can happen

You lookin at me wrong, man, anything can happen

Will the Knicks win the championship this year?

Say what, say what, anything can happen

Will we find some peace of mind this year?

You ready for the revolution this year?

Will you make love with no condom this year?

No no, no no, that will never happen

The record is not over yet

Where the ladies at? Put yo' hands in the air!

And for the ladies, we won't play you

If you proud, shake what yo mama gave you, hey!

Whether your fat or slim, bubble your ting

Fellas if you need help, use ginseng

And for the ladies, we won't play you

If you fat, shake what yo mama gave you, hey!

Whether your fat or slim, bubble your ting

ReFugee thugs hang at the roller rink

Roller skatin baby

Carnival (Make room, for the Carnival, make room)

And it don't, nine-seven to infinity

Rest in Peace, Rest in Peace

And the record is not over yet, the record is not over yet

It is not, the record [fades out]

This is exactly what some of us have been talking about. It echoes Josephs earlier post almost spot on, except he's late to the party and use to direct us ops in Iraq:

Link here

"ARLINGTON, Va. - The U.S. mission in Iraq is a "nightmare with no end in sight" because of political misjudgments after the fall of Saddam Hussein that continue today, a former chief of U.S.-led forces said Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Retired Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, who commanded coalition troops for a year beginning June 2003, cast a wide net of blame for both political and military shortcomings in Iraq that helped open the way for the insurgency — such as disbanding the Saddam-era military and failing to cement ties with tribal leaders and quickly establish civilian government after Saddam was toppled.

He called current strategies — including the deployment of 30,000 additional forces earlier this year — a "desperate attempt" to make up for years of misguided policies in Iraq.

"There is no question that America is living a nightmare with no end in sight," Sanchez told a group of journalists covering military affairs.

Sanchez avoided pointing his criticism at any single official or agency, but it appeared a broad indictment of White House policies and a lack of leadership in the Pentagon to oppose them. Such assessments — even by former Pentagon brass — are not new, but they have added resonance as debates over war strategy dominate the presidential campaign.

Sanchez went on to offer a pessimistic view on the current U.S. strategy against extremists will make lasting gains, but said a full-scale withdrawal also was not an option.

"The American military finds itself in an intractable situation ... America has no choice but to continue our efforts in Iraq," said Sanchez, who works as a consultant training U.S. generals."

• 4 weeks later...
The totally predictable outcome for our trillion dollar 'investment' in Iraq:

Iraqi electricity deals with Iran, China irk US

I'm guessing it was a very democratic RFP process...

funny how capitalism works... now that iraq has some income they want to contract the work to the lowest bidder,go figure, and practically free is pretty low. sorry halibuton, you guys are assed out. haha

• 4 weeks later...

"In Iraq, KBR/Halliburton kept the raped woman without food or water in a locked shipping container in an effort to force her compliance with a cover up. It was only after a sympathetic guard slipped a cell phone to the woman, that she was able to call her father in America who then reported the kidnapping to his representative (Ted Poe, R-Texas). To rescue the woman, the congressman dispatched State Department agents to Iraq, where medical personnel who assessed the victim reported she had been drugged, beaten, and raped by multiple assailants.

Two years later, Republican congressman Poe and his Democratic ally, John Conyers, now await a response from Attorney General Mukasey in regard to what the Justice Department has or has not done about the related allegations, which include assault, battery, rape, unlawful imprisonment, conspiracy to obstruct justice, kidnapping, extortion, blackmail...

KBR insists the matter is exclusively one for the company's own employee complaint resolution procedure, to be conducted in private, of course.

Kidnap, torture and rape. Please fill out this HR complaint form, ma'am. Here's a free company pen.

This is what happens when you do not hold private contractors to the same legal standards as uniformed personnel, and then throw an opaque 'national security' blanket over them. No accountability. If this were an isolated incident, it would be one thing. According to several independent reports, including one by the International Committee of the Red Cross, it is anything but.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• 4 years later...

https://www.nationalreview.com/nrd/articles/328692/losing-iraq?pg=1

Been a pretty good discussion upthread 5 years back or so of the mistakes and bungling the Bush crew made. It really saddens me to see that:

A) We went in there to begin with.

B) Went in totally half assed.

C) Our exit, under our "glorious leader" Obama, was as bad of a misstep as anything which went before.

We took our eyes off the prize and it cost us. If you look up "Epic Fail" in the urban dictionary it should list this debacle as the example.

Lastly, and this is related, congrats to President Obama for bumping the CAFE standards (2nd time, I gave kudos the first time as well which was right after he was elected). It shows a marked and radical difference in the lack of intelligence and thought Romney would bring to this issue of energy independence as he's opposed to the standards. Barring a full-on energy policy review by experts in that field (which has needed to occur for the last several Presidencies), what Obama did is good for the country, what Romney would do could, and most likely would be, ruinous.

I'm done with both parties. I've voting Gary Johnson. We need to get the US budget under control #1 issue. Neither one of the 2 current candidates, Romney nor Obama, have given it more than a passing mention. The deficit has gone from 4 trillion under the cut taxes and spend Bush to over 16 trillion dollars under the cut taxes and spend President Obama. They both have a "Don't ask don't tell" or give any kind of a shit attitude on what is the most pressing issue of our time. That we just pissed 1 trillion bucks or more down the sink in Iraq to become less safe militarily is small consolation that it was a "bi-partisan" effort which we can thank most of the congressmen and senators, along with Bush and Obama. BTW, each of you, if you are paying taxes, owes and average of $140,000 in back taxes. You haven't seen the bill come in the mail yet, but that's what is is. Still growing daily as well. The longer we wait, the worse it will be, and it could be real bad right now, as no one seems to have any control over the debt. Furthermore, no one has to divulge how much money the Fed, a group of private banks, are making to finance this debt. Right now, they are doing the job. Their charter with the US government allows them a 5% profit. Did we really just have to pay them $10,800,000,000,000 to play charades with our money and enable the further indebtedness of the country?

Snipits of link:

President Obama announced the “end of America’s war in Iraq” on December 14, 2011, with the words, “We’re leaving behind a sovereign, stable, and self-reliant Iraq, with a representative government that was elected by its people. We’re building a new partnership between our nations.” These were the conditions that he felt allowed him to describe the completion of America’s military withdrawal as a “moment of success.” Nine months later, Iraq does not seem like a success, even in these extremely limited terms. It is neither sovereign nor stable nor self-reliant. Its government does not reflect the will of its people; Sunni officials have been marginalized and, in some cases, driven out of office. And it is not a partner of the United States on any of the key issues in the region: From its evasion of economic sanctions on Iran to its support for the Syrian regime of Bashar Assad, Iraq stands in Tehran’s camp, not Washington’s. The reality is that the United States has not achieved its national-security objectives in Iraq and is not likely to do so..........

...Michael Gordon paints a different picture in a recent New York Times article excerpted from The Endgame. As he explains it, the Obama administration did not begin negotiations for the extension of a military presence until June 2011, despite the well-known challenges of securing rapid deals in Iraq. The administration claims that it could not start negotiations before then because the Iraqi government had not yet been formed. But Gordon demonstrates how much the delay in the formation of that government resulted from the total failure of the Obama administration’s efforts to broker a political deal in Baghdad.

When the negotiations did start, they were premised on an unrealistic demand communicated by President Obama to Prime Minister Maliki. Obama wanted the Iraqi parliament to ratify whatever agreement was reached, despite the fact that Maliki had requested an executive agreement that would not be subject to legislative approval, and the lead U.S. negotiator, Brett McGurk, had recommended taking this approach. Maliki offered an executive agreement several times, Gordon notes, but the Obama administration stuck to its original demand. President Obama did not exert himself to smooth the negotiations, confining his communications with Maliki to the initial conversation in June and a discussion in October during which the U.S. president told his Iraqi counterpart that the negotiations were over and U.S. forces were leaving. This failure may have resulted from a lack of desire on the part of the Obama administration to keep sufficient troops in Iraq, from its inability to make a deal, from its unreasonable demands, from Iraqi intransigence, or from all of the above. From a strategic and national-security standpoint, the only thing that matters is that by failing to secure a new agreement, the U.S. failed profoundly to secure its hard-won gains. Even more important, it failed to secure its interests.

It is most important of all to recognize the price of that failure. Iraq has become a major strategic vulnerability for the United States.

"Trillion dollars here, Trillion dollars there, pretty soon it adds up to real money." LOL (Thanks for that Senator Dirkson)

iraq in 2003 was So Big Retarded, but even a pessimist, in 2012, can't describe the current situation there as a total disaster yet, right? though a return to all out civil war could very well be just in the offing, so far the place hasn't burned down since we left - the notion of creating a monticello on the euphrates might not have come to fruition, but there's now at least one less nation-state in the middle east with a government keen on making our lives unpleasant.

i'm scoring the decision to go to war an "F," the conduct of the war a "C-" and the results after a decade "D/D-" :)

iraq in 2003 was So Big Retarded, but even a pessimist, in 2012, can't describe the current situation there as a total disaster yet, right?

Your kidding right? Not a total disaster yet? Come on.......

Over 5 thousand american troops dead over a lie. over a million innocent Iraq's displaced from there homes over a lie. 2 billion spent on this occupation A WEEK over years that is unpaid for over a lie.

Not a total disaster? hahahahahahahaha

Not a total disaster? hahahahahahahaha

perhaps you lack imagination? do you even remember how fucked-10-ways-2-sunday that joint was in 2005-6? fucking car bombs 3 times a day, endless fuckign corpses being fished out of the river, found in schools, fake cops setting up road-blocks and killing everyone who stopped, playgrounds shot up, etc., etc. horror beyond the average sane man's thinking. today ain't great, like i said, and the situation seems such that it could be back to those bad days in 10 minutes, but it is NOT as bad as it used to be. as to whether or not today is really any better than saddam's day, fuckit, i'd have to have a buncha iraqis take on that, and i've never met one...