re-sole boots?

gapertimmy

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of 10 rock shoe resoles I have had done by Dave Page, none have delaminated. All have been good to excellent, IMHO. My buddy had a pair resoled that delaminated, but the shoes were very worn.

I had a pair of hiking boots resoled that delaminated completely after a year. (The orginal sole delaminated completely, thus the need for the resole.)

I think it dependes partly on the condition of the shoe/boot and the skill of the person doing the resole. Dave has a number of elves working for him, some with more experience than others.

I've had over over 30 resoles from Dave Page Cobbler and never once had a problem. I'm not suprised that people have problems with delam's in general based on the things I've seen them do with their boots. Heat is used to remove the soles, but that doesn't stop people from putting their boots next to the fire to dry them and putting their boots in the oven or taking a hair dryer to them after applying a waterproofing product. I've seen comparable stunts with rock shoes too.

Well, as long as rock shoes are mentioned can't resist saying that after a bad, actually delaminating, rock shoe repair by Dave Page's shop I have been using John Ramuta for 4 years by now and every time I am amased at the quality of the repair job, he always goes an extra mile and "returns" the shoe to a climabable state which can be different from slapping a new sole on (no, he's not my roommate, the first time I met John was a 1.5 months ago).

I've taken many pairs of rock shoes to Ramutas and have been happy with every re-sole. As a matter of fact, I took a pair of rock shoes in last week on Wednesday and they were repaired and ready to go on Friday afternoon. I climbed in them last weekend and the shoes felt perfect.

Erik, my man, you are so right on. The Valley Cobbler rocks. I've never had a problem with this guy, and his resole work tends to preserve the original shape of the shoe, which is pretty important. Another fellow (no names mentioned, because Dave is a heck of a nice guy too) would return my shoes with a more rounded toe profile. I blame those damn shoes for the drop in my rock climbing standard (my family and spare tire have nothing to do with it).

The Valley Cobbler will also customize your resole thickness: you may request a thickness somewhere between full weight and slipper weight.

I have heard the REI has stopped sending its repair work to Dave Page due to slow turn arounds and workmanship issues.

I also had a friend that had a simple problem with an Everst One Sport and he said it could not be fixed. Took it somewhere else and it was fixed ina couple of days, no problem.

That is what I have heard anyway. Not sure if it is becsue he is sooo swamped, which he is, or if he now has "elves" that are not up to speed.

well, to toss my two pennies in...

I had a 1/2 resole from Dave that delammed slowly for 6 months, and then gloriously ripped to the ball one day at leavenworth. Lucky for me Dave is a nice guy and resoled them nearly a year after the first job (it was shoddy to begin with, but I was lazy too). One thing for sure, if you get a bad job done by dave, he'll redo it for free.

Yeah, the good folks at REI, they'll never steer you down the wrong road. Their knowledgeable and friendly sales staff are all outdoor enthusiast. I can't tell you how many times they've helped me out with a tough question, like how to match my 'biners to the color of my quick clips, or whether to go with positive or negative clearance on my axe. In fact, they once sold my wife a pair of socks that would "never give you blisters." What a resource. Got a tough question about the great outdoors, chances are the guy or gal in the green vest will know the answer. Donny said it, I believe it.

Dave Page: looser. NOthing personal, but I've had two bad and no good experiences with the guy's work. First time it took two weeks from the time they arrived at him shop to the time I got shoes back. Second time the shoes came back with gaps, ans big ones, in the toe rand/sole interface. I've heard hew has lackies that do work for him. Sounds crazy, but I've sent two pairs to a woman in Las Vegas: Red Rock Resoles. http://www.redrockresole.com/ Awesome. Got my shoes back in less than a week and she did a nice job. And her rates were as good as anyone elses. Plus, she was nice.

Daves reputation precedes him.he knows his stuff but his work is shoddy and negates that. , he is the only one in the NW who has the special heavy press that will work with plastics unfortunately. ive successfully used Chicks MercerIs. Shoe Repair for mountain boots.

Little Woody