Extinct- Bump skiiers?

Jens

Why are their not nearly as many good bump skiiers seen any more?

Is it because the mean skiier age is older and knees go?

Is it because better grooming technology is limiting mogul formation?

Are the boarders ruining them?

Is it shaped skis?

Is bump skiing not cool?

For the more recent outings of lift skiing, my brother Hans and I have been by far the best mogul skiiers on the hills yet 7-8 years ago their were tons of pros-

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed the same thing, and chalk the decline up to a few converging trends: the advent of snowboarding, the rise of park skiing, and the aging of the folks from the "mogul era."

In addition to diverting a significant chunk of the demographic most likely to become aggressive mogul skiers away from skiing and into another activity, the rise of snowboarding seems to have had a negative effect on the mogul population. Between the larger turn-radius, and the propensity to side-slide through difficult portions of the slope, the rise of boarders seems to have lead to fewer and fewer regular zipper lines of moguls.

With regards to skiing, I think that to a pretty big-chunk of teenage skiers bump-skiing seems like a relic from the daffy-era, and they'd much rather hone their skills in the park. That's an interesting development, since it was bump skiers like J.P. Auclair and JF Cusson and others that more or less invented the Newschool scene, and quite a few of the older pros that are still competing in the park comps have a background in moguls. I don't think that bump-skiing will go the way of ballet, simply because they'll continue to be a fact of life on the steeper stuff, but most young skiers will aspire towards something else.

urWJzuvOO9M

When I was a teen I used to be way into skiing bumps. I thought it was the best test of skill. More recently my interest in bump skiing has gone downhill. I'd rather seek out stuff at the areas that will help me improve techniques I need for backcountry skiing.

Bump skiing is a specialty sport you need to focus on if that's your thing.

I agree it seems to be a declining art. Growing up, my brother and I would ski bumps until we couldn't walk. You don't see it as much, I think snowboarding's popularity has something to do with it, also the culture has changed.

As for knees, mine aren't shot, but I certainly can't ski bumps at the speed and resilience I could at age 20.

Edited by W

It's a wonder my knees are still in one piece given the way I skied bumps in my late teens\early 20's (read this the early-mid 80's). I really doubt I could still do days on end of bump skiing even if the monster moguls were there.

Good bump skiers are a treat to watch, with or without mohawks.

-r

It is not only snowboarders who are destroying the bumps, with fat skis the average skiers turn radius is growing too. Moguls can be fun but I think that we all would like to carve huge powder turns than butt wiggle down the slopes creating nice moguls.