Another Mt Hood Stupid Comment

Weekend_Climberz

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

I hope this isn't seen as offensive, as I read the most recent reports it doesn't seem they will be found alive – which IS sad. Instead, use this ridiculously long thread to generate some ideas, maybe solutions. As someone pointed out earlier; rangers, families and policy makers read these posts.

Situation: sometimes people die by their own or someone else's negligence (or due to a true accident) When this happens, most people living in America this it's sad and want something to be done about it. Doing something about it has a cost….

Questions: Who should pay that cost? What's a reasonable solution to climbing accidents? Should policy makers try to stop the accidents, or stop climbing activities that *might* affect an SAR operation, or require climbers to get a license (like driving a car) ???

Here's an idea: you climb? – get rescue insurance. When you have it and need it = you get rescued (if possible); you don't have any, you don't get the rescue. The end.

I realize this may seem harsh, but get a grip. 1) climbing IS dangerous, people die; does this really need repeating?. 2) climbing IS NOT a sport (if you plastic jugs in a gym, then yes it's a sport) climbing is a high risk adventure where solid judgment and luck are the only things that keep you alive. 3) on average, most climbers DON'T require rescues. 4) if someone IS paying, then perhaps state officials, etc could HIRE professionals to perform SAR, instead of relying on altruistic climbers and tax payers cash.

The calm in the storm. Thanks, Off. It is why you have the place on this board that you do.

brown nozer...

Hey! It tickles when he blows smoke there. With you hoovering on the front I'm all taken care of. Thanks. :wave:

Now I know why you are "Off" White skull

Bukkake!

Questions: Who should pay that cost? What's a reasonable solution to climbing accidents? Should policy makers try to stop the accidents, or stop climbing activities that *might* affect an SAR operation, or require climbers to get a license (like driving a car) ???

Requiring drivers licenses hasn't stopped auto accidents. It's illegal to drive while drunk, but people still do it, and kill others in accidents. It's just as stupid to talk on the cell phone while driving, but people still do it, and kill others in accidents.

There are no easy answers.

Hey, climbers. First, this is a funny place, so I won't be PC, either. Have ya ever thought that this is a window into the "climber's world" where many have never looked? I live very near a great rock formation--Oak Creek in the Naches Ranger District, not back country, but a lot of climbers train there, it seems. I have to tell you, that I will think differently about those people after glimpsing the extremely rude community here. I have never seen so many people looking down on others. I am sure we will all leave. Why would we hang around with all the "when will they leave" comments? Flame me all you want; it wouldn't have taken that much to be nice to VISITORS.

As for running down SAR.........tasteless. I hope if they ever come to haul your asses of the hill, that you remember all the comments here. Maybe they don't climb as well as you all, but they are generous with their time----I jam with one SAR guy every week and he misses a lot of jams due to mountain rescues. I hope if they read the comments here, that they consider the source.

don't let the door hit u on the way out...

cj001 - cum junkie #1? dude why bill me for your stupidity? oh wait, that's the american way.

here's a better use for the toaster, shove it up yer ass!

careful noob.....this is a climbing community....let's not let this thread drift into the political sphere

Hey Frog,

Should all hunters, hikers, and alzheimer's patients be required to carry licenses and rescue insurance? Because the vast majority of SAR operations are for them, not climbers.

Another problem. If someone PAYS for a service, they have a right to EXPECT DELIVERY OF THAT SERVICE. That means, someone who paid for rescue insurance, or their relatives, or lawyers or whatever could demand that rescuers go into dangerous situations to try to rescue that person. This is in stark contrast to the current situation where the safety of the rescuers is the primary consideration.

And furthermore.... your idea is POOPY!

Here's an idea: you climb? – get rescue insurance. When you have it and need it = you get rescued (if possible); you don't have any, you don't get the rescue. The end.

Why Frog, turning to the insurance companies and state licensing agencies to prevent accidents, reduce the number of rescues and, indeed, make all of nature safe for everyone, especially our children, are both excellent ideas. Katrina provided an stunning example of how these two entities, working in concert, prevented the kind of large scale disaster that might otherwise have resulted in the wake of such a powerful natural event.

Rather than rebut your well thought out approach for solving what is obviously a pressing problem, I would extend it to include insurance and licensing for morons, who are undoubtedly responsible for more than their fair share of injuries and death, both accidental and provoked, as well as a seemingly endless wellspring of stupid fucking ideas. With your prolific mind and concern for the welfare of all of us, I can think of no more perfect poster child for such a system than yourself.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

if someone IS paying, then perhaps state officials, etc could HIRE professionals to perform SAR, instead of relying on altruistic climbers and tax payers cash.

Yeah let's keep the tax payer's cash where it belongs- funding established EMS services used mainly by drug addicts, drunk drivers, and victims of America's disgusting diets and lack of exercise...oh and also funding global wars.

To all you altruistic climbers out there- stop with this taking care of your own shit and making us all feel unworthy. Get back on the couch with your box of Fruity Pebbles, turn on "American Idol" and "Survivor" and "Fear Factor", and relax like a good citizen and get your vicarious adventure thrills there.

Food for thought,

If you the mountianeers know mt.hood so well, and with some of you guys it is like your backyard, then why did not someone employ you all, the men who know of her evils, to find the other 2 guys, and to begin with all 3, ..........i wonder did anyone stop and ponder the idea ,to ask a professional that has beat mt.hood on what their thoughts are , and what they should do or where to look now?

Whatya say? Who's with me? Wanna go conquer some evils?

Frog: Insurance does no good except to upset the industry involved. If the jokers were lost and had no insurance, they would still get rescued at taxpayers or whoever's expenses/ and if they were insured, they would get rescued at the insurance company's expense. ALl that does is allow the rescue teams to be able to charge through the nose for services, because insurance is footing the bill. Look what has happened to the medical industry.......

Then would come mal-rescue lawsuits!

Food for thought,

If you the mountianeers know mt.hood so well, and with some of you guys it is like your backyard, then why did not someone employ you all, the men who know of her evils, to find the other 2 guys, and to begin with all 3, ..........i wonder did anyone stop and ponder the idea ,to ask a professional that has beat mt.hood on what their thoughts are , and what they should do or where to look now?

Whatya say? Who's with me? Wanna go conquer some evils?

The War on Terror now includes mountains? I'll attack them with my skis right away.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Most of you morons wouldn't serve your contry under any circumstances in the first place, so why bring it up at all? The 304th is down there with the PSAR. Keep your sarcism coming, I'm reloading.

hey hey...you plagiarizing wack...i saw that on a bumpersticker...

Edited by RuMR

Why Frog, turning to the insurance companies and state licensing agencies to prevent accidents, reduce the number of rescues and, indeed, make all of nature safe for everyone, especially our children, are both excellent ideas. Katrina provided an stunning example of how these two entities, working in concert, prevented the kind of large scale disaster that might otherwise have resulted in the wake of such a powerful natural event.

Rather than rebut your well thought out approach for solving what is obviously a pressing problem, I would extend it to include insurance and licensing for morons, who are undoubtedly responsible for more than their fair share of injuries and death, both accidental and provoked, as well as a seemingly endless wellspring of stupid fucking ideas. With your prolific mind and concern for the welfare of all of us, I can think of no more perfect poster child for such a system than yourself.

:lmao: baa skull

Most of you morons wouldn't serve your contry under any circumstances in the first place, so why bring it up at all? The 304th is down there with the PSAR. Keep your sarcism coming, I'm reloading.

The best way to serve your country is to not be a knee-jerk dumbass. Too late for you. You think you're Above the Law- well...you're not. :ass: