Summer. Fuckineh.

Squid

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But why is the tilt of the axis related to the yearly orbit?

Poor Squidly, all he wanted was pictures of hot chicks in bikinis and here we are gettin' all geeky on his thread. Poooooor Squidly.

cry.gif

Here ya go buddy:

microbikini.jpg

I think I am at perihelion!

I don't think it is related.

preview2335H.jpg

Let me fill you in on another neat fact: The sun is the hottiest planet in the solar system, and if you were to touch it, it would burn you.

What if you touched it at night though? Does it cool off enough by, say, 4am?

very nice, glacier. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

speaking of dirt... this song, more than any other, speaks the word "summer" to me.

Music Like Dirt, by Desmond Dekker

We're having a party I hope you all hearty

We're having a party I hope you all hearty

Sing it to me children:

Rom bomp a loo bomp bomp bomp ballooey

Rom bomp a loo bomp bomp .. intensify

Rom bomp a loo bomp bomp

Music like dirt for your money's worth

Music like dirt for your money's worth

Girls like sand* to match every man

Girls like sand to match every man

Oh, girls can't hide, from intensified guys..

Music that stays on, for exxttrra daaayys!

Intensified boys with thoughts full of joy

Intensified girls with their fancy curls

Sing it to me children:

Rom bomp a loo bomp bomp .. intensify

Rom bomp a loo bomp bomp

B0000032DB.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

*(I always thot he was saying "sun", which is why it makes me think of summer) yellaf.gif

.... and then there's all the times I've listened to it in parking lots of summertime reggae shows. cool.gif

Let me fill you in on another neat fact: The sun is the hottiest planet in the solar system, and if you were to touch it, it would burn you.

So what, now you're saying we have 10 planets in our solar system? And it's a fact?

The earth's orbit around the sun is elliptical. The close point is approximately during winter in the northern hemisphere. Since most people who post here reside in the northern hemisphere, the correct answer is "B".

No shit? rolleyes.gif

But why is the tilt of the axis related to the yearly orbit?

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/seasons_orbit.html

The link you left was great. thumbs_up.gif But it still seems a strange coincedence that the annual periphelion matches so closely to the annual axis-tilt (seasonal) cycle, and the article doesn't really get into the physics. If I were to guess, I would say it is some astro-gyroscopic formula. Like spinning a top and watching the way it's tilt cycle and wobbles match the circle it paints on the floor? This could also explain why the moon's rotation almost exactly matches it's orbit around Earth? (Hence, why we never see the "dark" side of the moon.)

Any physicists out there?

The earth's orbit around the sun is elliptical. The close point is approximately during winter in the northern hemisphere. Since most people who post here reside in the northern hemisphere, the correct answer is "B".

Mr. Cash,

You are wrong because the question doesn't specify winter or summer solstice. If we assume the question is about the Northern hemisphere's summer solstice and "getting closer to the solstice" means after January and before June 21, then you are right, the answer is B.

Geek_em8.gif

Geeebus I'm doin' some serious geekin' today. This calls for some sexy librarian pics!

screensaver1.jpg

Fairweather, your post sounds like you think the tilt of the earth changes?

The moon stays with one side to us because of earths gravity

jmace. What the fuck are you talking about? confused.gif Are you just pretending to be a complete moron?

Actually, I was hoping the gravity this weekend at Squamish would act on your scrawny form in a bad way. Just run along, pest, before someone drops a house on you.

Fairweather, your post sounds like you think the tilt of the earth changes?

The moon stays with one side to us because of earths gravity

jmace. What the fuck are you talking about? confused.gif Are you just pretending to be a complete moron?

Actually, I was hoping the gravity this weekend at Squamish would act on your scrawny form in a bad way. Just run along, pest, before someone drops a house on you.

you guys are both fucking morons... the earth's tilt does change... it just takes a reeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllly long time to do so.

the_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

and now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. laugh.gif

2601-490.jpg