Good "Greatest Hits" albums

EWolfe

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barbra Streisand grin.gif

What I hate is re-packaged albums and re-packaged greatest hits where they put one or two "unreleased" or new songs on them or live versions that aint worth purchasing the newer version for. It used to be the "in" thing with record companies but you see less of it now. There weren't typically fooling me. I wasn't going to spend $18 more for two new tracks.

"Big Boi and Dre Present: Outkast"...that's a damn fine hits compilation and happens to be bumpin cross my steeereo right now.

CCR "Chronicle" was the first of their hits compilations, but I do believe that Run Through the Jungle made Chronicle II. I have the first one buried somewhere in the 400 discs, haven't heard it in many years. Kinda need a hot southeastern summer day on the lake, Budweiser in a can, and a fat joint of mexican brick weed to make the CCR work right.

Greatest hits compilations are generally lame, unless they offer something not available on a band's other albums. Why listen to a bunch of songs from a band if their albums aren't good enough to stand on their own? Exceptions would be discographies, especially bands that have broken up and whose releases are hard to find or contain a lot of singles (Minor Threat, OpIvy, and The Smiths come to mind).

Bottom line, if you buy greatest hits-type albums, you're a wanker. the_finger.gif

The first record I ever bought was Kenny Rogers' Greatest Hits. I was nine, and didn't know any better.

I agree with DFA that greatest hits albums are lame for the most part. When a band I like puts out a greatest hits album it's a sad time for me, 'cause I know the good times are over.

That said, I still listen to my Misfits greatest hits CD, so I guess I'm a wanker.