Best Helmet?

k44

I am looking into getting a new helmet and wonder what people consider the best helmet. Best fitting? Easiest to attach a light? Toughest? etc...

I have been looking at the Petzl Ecrin Roc and the Black Diamond Half Dome. The Petzl is ~$78 while the BD is only ~$58. Is the Petzl really worth the 20 extra bucks?

Any thoughts?

thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd had the Ecrin Roc for years. Clipped to the back of my pack on the way up the Boson Basin path; snagged on a branch, and it ruined the harness system.

I called Petzl, and they're willing to replace it, even though it's not under warranty. I'd bought another Elios, but it's just not the same. Can't wait to get the Ecrin back.

Petzl has great customer service, if nothing else. I'd recommmend them. My two cents worth, anyway.

For sheer versatility and adjustability, I don't think you can beat the Petzl Ecrin Roc. I have their new helmet (Elios) now because my Ecrin finally fell apart, but I liked the Ecrin better than my new one. I am 100% certain it saved my life in a big rockfall accident a few years back! Probably should have retired it after that one, but it was still going strong.

My BD half-dome is ligher than the Ecrin. Its downside is that its adjustment system is not nearly as good as the Ecrin Roc (or the Elios for that matter). The BD uses a velcro which 1/ will wear out, and 2/ has to be a pain in the butt to adjust when you switch from wearing a warm hat to not, especially with gloves. With Petzl's system, you justfind the dials, turn them until the helmet fits snug, and voila.

This said the BD has been great for rock,it ventilates well, and it's lightweight, which was what I cared about (the Elios doesn't fit me or I'd have a Petzl).

drC

Thanks for all the info. The Ecrin Roc is looking better and better. I really want something that go over a warm hat or be used in 100 degree heat at Smith (although I hear it's not cool to wear a helmet at Smith).

Thanks again.

really want something that go over a warm hat or be used in 100 degree heat at Smith (although I hear it's not cool to wear a helmet at Smith).

Forget about what's cool - just keep your ass safe.

He's asking about helmets for his *head* not his ass. Please don't hijack the discussion.

drC

Want to look like you've just soloed your 3 alpine ice route of the day? then wear:

Petzl Meteor

Grivel "the cap" with face shield

Simond with face shield

Want to look like you are going to the Seattle Mountaineer's ballroom for a gala?

then wear:

Neon green Edelrid or a Joe Brown. Or what is that one that looks like a British army helmet with the rim around it? - the "El Cap" that's the worst one.

___

I rember flailing and bailing on an ice pitch just to watch a Frenchmen come over, mumble a few words, flip down his visor on his Grivel and style the pitch.-Made us look like wankers.

Or what is that one that looks like a British army helmet with the rim around it? - the "El Cap" that's the worst one.

It's not the worst; just excessively old-school for most. I've got one for winter use. I can't get my Ecrin Roc to adjust open enough to accommodate my big head with a warm hat. The El Cap has plenty of room for this, and it has a general lack of vent holes, which keeps my head dry in wet Oregon wintertime fun (to say nothing of the brim to keep water from running down my face).