Hunter Thompson Speaks his Mind

dberdinka

HST on politics Bush and Kerry

The man's a national treasure it's a shame this has to appear in a British rag.

We were angry and righteous in those days, and there were millions of us. We kicked two chief executives out because they were stupid warmongers. We conquered Lyndon Johnson and we stomped on Richard Nixon - which wise people said was impossible, but so what? It was fun. We were warriors then, and our tribe was strong like a river. That river is still running. All we have to do is get out and vote, while it's still legal, and we will wash those crooked warmongers out of the White House.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my only question is: why is it martial ineptitude and serial malfeasance gets you re-elected but a stained blue dress nearly gets you impeached? maybe i've been wrong all these years. maybe the american electorate really is *that* stupid and puritanical.

Was Congress, particularly the House that did the impeachment. The public saw what it really was.

I am hoping that the electorate will somehow finds its collective common sense for this election, and prove me wrong in thinking that most of the voting populace is uninformed, gullible, or plain stupid.

... and we stomped on Richard Nixon - which wise people said was impossible, but so what? It was fun.

Ummm... in 1972 Richard Nixon won 49 states.

There are some unsettling similarities: Challenger was a Senator from a liberal state; significant opposition to an unpopular war; asshole in the White House. hellno3d.gif

Sure hope we have different results this time!

From Oct. 20. posting:

"People in the News: Book signing, Gonzo-style: Puke first

Ah, looks like Hunter S. Thompson hasn't lost his touch ...

according to a posting on defamer.com, Thompson was in rare

form at a Los Angeles book signing on Tuesday night.

The poster, who was among the 300 lining up to get

Thompson's autograph on his latest, "Hey Rube," saw the

hell-raising writer arrive in a sedan, hanging out the

window and "yelling profanities" at the fans who were

waiting in line outside the bookstore.

The ambitious poster bolted after the car to the back of the

store and caught an apparently drunk Thompson, surrounded by

an "entourage of very contrived press handlers," and

accompanied by American cinema's favorite dark horse,

Benicio Del Toro.

They went into the store, but Thompson was too messed up to

cope, so they left the store, at which point the

fan/observer writes that Del Toro held back Thompson's hair

(what hair?!??!) in order for his Royal Gonzoness to throw

up. But you have to hand it to Thompson -- he went right

back in the store and signed the books on the floor."

'Too weird to live, too rare to die' - Hunter S. Thompson

my only question is: why is it martial ineptitude and serial malfeasance gets you re-elected but a stained blue dress nearly gets you impeached? maybe i've been wrong all these years. maybe the american electorate really is *that* stupid and puritanical.

Ah, yes! The classic liberal arrogance rears its ugly head once again and this time foraker is the point man! "Anyone who does not think like me must be stupid, moronic, unenlightened, neanderthal, uneducated, etc..." This is what I would expect from j_b, not from the name bearer of a great Alaskan peak.

Try to open your mind a little. Try to keep a lid on that self-important aura.

fairweather now thinks he is "anyone" (as if "anyone" could be an extremist loony). i have never said or inferred any of this about "anyone who doesn't think like me". in turn, i have said that many people were misinformed and easily manipulated. lo-and-behold:

"Even after the final report of Charles Duelfer to Congress saying that Iraq did not have a significant WMD program, 72% of Bush supporters continue to believe that Iraq had actual WMD (47%) or a major program for developing them (25%). Fifty-six percent assume that most experts believe Iraq had actual WMD and 57% also assume, incorrectly, that Duelfer concluded Iraq had at least a major WMD program."

"Similarly, 75% of Bush supporters continue to believe that Iraq was providing substantial support to al Qaeda, and 63% believe that clear evidence of this support has been found. Sixty percent of Bush supporters assume that this is also the conclusion of most experts, and 55% assume, incorrectly, that this was the conclusion of the 9/11 Commission."

“To support the president and to accept that he took the US to war based on mistaken assumptions likely creates substantial cognitive dissonance, and leads Bush supporters to suppress awareness of unsettling information about prewar Iraq.”

"This tendency of Bush supporters to ignore dissonant information extends to other realms as well".

http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Pres_Election_04/Press10_21_04.pdf

Try to open your mind a little.

orwellian speak coming from one of the most obtuse poster this board has seen.

the real arrogance is to suggest that bush's dismal record of failure/deceit warrants reelection.

the real hilarity here is that i tend to vote for policies, not for parties. this means i end up voting democrat sometimes, republican other times. that means i'm a registered 'independent' which means i have to educate myself as a voter rather than blindly voting for whatever trained chimp 'my' party puts up for election. i kept an open mind about bush based on his election rhetoric but, sadly i must say, he's failed to live up to his word and has failed the classic 'sniff test' (unless you mean the coke sniff test, in which case he passed that one)....

I , too, vote policy, not party. The republicans are always wrong. The democrats are generally less wrong. Biggest issue? The environment. Specifically the lack of leadership vision regarding the necessity to move from an economy of consumption to one based on sustainability. This is the most important issue facing our species, and it's not even part of the debate.

http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Pres_Election_04/Press10_21_04.pdf

This link is awesome. It really shows that political leanings tend to be more ideological and religious in nature on the Republican side.

Facts aren't important, mein Fuhrer is;

Hypocrisy isn't important, party fealty is;

Thinking isn't important....

I work with people who are involved in the whole climate change science area. Basically, I've been told that the National Center for Atmospheric Research has been downsizing the last four years because of budget cuts and that they are all pretty worried there about what will happen to climate science in this country if the chimp gets re-elected.

I work with people who are involved in the whole climate change science area. Basically, I've been told that the National Center for Atmospheric Research has been downsizing the last four years because of budget cuts and that they are all pretty worried there about what will happen to climate science in this country if the chimp gets re-elected.
I read today in the newspaper that even if we were able to drastically reduce CO2 emissions now, it would take about 100 years before atmospheric levels of CO2 begin to decrease.

I believe the point is we have to start sometime. If we start trying to reduce our output now it wont hurt us or the environment as bad as if we wait to start. Also we should probably come to terms with the fact that petroleum is going to run out eventually. Why not start working on it before we have to.

....POWERFUL WORDS....

We were angry and righteous in those days, and there were millions of us. We kicked two chief executives out because they were stupid warmongers. We conquered Lyndon Johnson and we stomped on Richard Nixon - which wise people said was impossible, but so what? It was fun. We were warriors then, and our tribe was strong like a river. That river is still running. All we have to do is get out and vote, while it's still legal, and we will wash those crooked warmongers out of the White House.