Most mispronounced words in PNW climbing?

Jens

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you pronounce "The Dalles" and "Madras" in oregon ... I always just mumble when those places come up in conversation.

in other news - the mountain up in the Monarch Icefield is called Cerberus, as in the dog guarding the gates of hell, not Cerebrus, as in some X-Men character with a big brain. that one bugs me.

another good one is Koleh7 - the name of a big alpine meadow near Lillooet lake. The '7' pronounced as a glottal stop Geek_em8.gif

BTW, unlike the Goodes, my name is pronounced "Clink-ee," not "Clink." Now you know. This will come in handy for you in the future when you keep reading my name in all the latest and greatest guidebooks, climbing rags, climbing history books, etc. grin.gif

D'oh! I thought it was "Klen-key." blush.gif

I thought it was "klen-KAY" tongue.gif

arete (uh-rhet)

You almost can't go wrong here.

Oh yes you can. Just ask eric8 about the routes he wants to do on Dragontail. That guy's a master of creative pronunciation. I make him listen to NPR as punishment while driving to climbs.

haha I should start my own thread for peaks I can pronounce right. Lets see, I think I can get the tooth and stuart right maybe liberty bell too but that might be a stretch.

I always seem to mess up the wine spire names, chanti, pissonyou pinnacle, etc.

Ralph one of these days your going to get the #4 up side the head while your driving

how do you pronounce "The Dalles" and "Madras" in oregon ... I always just mumble when those places come up in conversation.

The Dalles is usually pronounced "dals" (rhymes with "gals", "pals", etc.), and Madras is not pronounced like it would be in Spanish (Mah-dras), it's "mad-rehs" (with the emphasis on mad). 'Least that's how everyone in Central Oree-gon says 'em.

Mike

So long as Central NY comes up (well, it's more eastern), don't forget about Canajoharie and Coxsackie. Not necessarily hard to pronounce, but funny none-the-less. Then there was the town (Rensselaer) near my school (Rensselaer). The town was pronounced REN-sa-ler, and my school was pronounced ren-seh-LEAR... named after the same person, spelled the same, but said rather differently.

Madras is not pronounced like it would be in Spanish (Mah-dras), it's "mad-rehs" (with the emphasis on mad).

The local pronounciation of "Madras, OR" is also probably quite different from that of a native speaker of German, Italian, Russian or Tagalog. But more to the point, it's not pronounced the way someone from India might pronounce it (mah-DRAS).

blush.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Lowell, Brian, and Ursa_Eagle are indeed all correct --- Mt. Goode is pronounced as "good" (the final "e" is silent).

Richard Urquhart Goode (1858-1903) was one of the first topographers appointed to the newly created U. S. Geological Survey in July 1879. He served as Chief of the Pacific Division of Topography during 1894-1903, during which time he presided over USGS mapping efforts in the Cascade Range and the Sierra Nevada. (At the bottom left corner of all those epochal 1:125,000 quads, the words "R. U. Goode, Geographer in charge" appear.) Were it not for his premature passing from pneumonia in 1903, he likely would have become Chief of the Topographic Branch of the USGS that year at Washington, D.C.

Although Goode himself did not personally participate in the actual fieldwork, he was the immediate supervisor of the USGS topographers who mapped the original 30-minute quadrangles of the North Cascades during 1895-1902 --- arguably the single greatest geographical and exploratory achievement in the history of the North Cascades. These intrepid topographers made numerous first ascents of peaks in this region (including Glacier Peak), and they were the first to record most of its geographic features. Among other achievements, they are the first known persons to have explored the Snowking area and the Ptarmigan Traverse.

Although the details of the introduction of the name "Mt. Goode" in the North Cascades have yet to be clarified, I suspect that Albert H. Sylvester bestowed this toponym sometime during 1918-1922, and that he initially intended that it be applied to the mountain now known as Bonanza Peak.

Mt. Goode is the highest peak in the Cascades that honors a person who has personally visited this Range, as well as the highest peak honoring a person who has actually climbed a mountain in this Range. --- On August 7, 1883, Richard U. Goode and topographer Frank Tweedy made the second or third ascent of Mt. Stuart. (Two days earlier, on August 5, 1883, Tweedy (of Lewisia fame) made a solo ascent of Mt. Stuart, this being the first or second ascent of that peak on record.) Both ascents approached via Peshastin and Ingalls creeks.

In an article on "Naming Alaska's mountains" (1959 American Alpine Journal, pp. 211-232), mountaineering historian Francis P. Farquhar confirms the correct pronunciation of Mt. Goode (pp. 221-222) ---

"Also named for him [besides Mount Goode 10,610' in Alaska, east of Anchorage] is a peak [13,085'] in the Sierra Nevada, California, and one in the Cascades. In the latter case there is a local tendency to call the peak "Mount Goody"; perhaps the following will help to overcome it:

"A surveyor named Richard U. Goode

Left bench marks wherever he stood.

The old English word goode

'Tis true rhymes with Buddha,

But in this case Mount Goode rhymes with Hood."

There are two "Mt. Fernow" peaks in the North Cascades, as well as a third mountain "Big Chief Mtn." --- all three of which honor the same person.

Mt. Fernow 9249' (Holden quad) is the third highest non-volcanic peak in the Cascades, (after Bonanza 9511' and Mt. Stuart 9415'). Albert H. "Hal" Sylvester, then supervisor of Wenatchee National Forest, named this peak within 1922-1928.

Mt. Fernow 6190' (Captain Point quad, west of Stevens Pass) was named by the Skykomish Ranger District within 1925-1927.

Big Chief Mtn. 5858' (Stevens Pass quad) was originally named "Mount Fernow" within 1936-1941 by Wenatchee National Forest (after Sylvester's retirement). However, this peak was soon renamed "Big Chief Mountain" within 1941-1947, because there already were two other Mt. Fernow(s) in the North Cascades. The peak nonetheless still honors Fernow, this time in his guise as the "Big Chief" of the Forest Service.

The Prussian forester Bernhard Eduard Fernow (1851-1923) served as Chief of the Division of Forestry of the U. S. Department of Forestry during 1886-1898; this Division was the predecessor of the present-day Forest Service. Fernow is regarded as the first professional forester in North America, whose conservation efforts led directly to the establishment of the National Forests. When he left government service in 1898, his place as Chief of Forestry was taken by Gifford Pinchot.

Fernow also established the first School of Forestry in North America, in 1898 at Cornell University. In 1908 he moved to Canada, where that same year he established the School of Forestry at the University of Toronto.

He is the only individual after whom three mountains have been named in the Cascade Range. (Early explorer Abiel Tinkham has two peaks named after him, immediately south of Snoqualmie Pass.)

Correctly pronounced, auf Deutsch, the name Fernow would be rendered in English as "fair-nov" (the "f" as in fine; the "e" is a Latin "e" or long English "a" as in "care, fair"; the "o" is in "not"; and the German "w" is as an English "v" as in "vision"), with the accent on the first syllable.

Fernow served as a soldier during the Franco-Prussian War in 1870; he was an accomplished pianist who was particularly fond of the Beethoven piano sonatas; and he came to America because he met and became engaged to a young American lady while he was studying Forestry in Germany. He is the subject of a full-length biography by Andrew Denny Rodgers, "Bernhard Eduard Fernow, A Story of North American Forestry" (1951, Princeton University Press, 623pp.; reprinted 1991, Forest History Society).

• 1 year later...

turning up to the Hemlock ski hill from Hwy 7, there is a junction with a large grey sign: K************? notwithstanding my poor clues (because i don't fricken know how to spell it!) what is the name?

and for the love of God: how is it pronounced? confused.gif