What makes an “experienced” climber?

MATT_B

I keep hearing of people being described as “experienced” climbers by the media and other climbers. What does this mean? If I read something in the newspapers about an experienced climber it could mean anything. I find that most reporters are clueless and will label anyone that has been up more than one mountain as experienced. If you where to label someone as experienced, what would you mean?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by MATT B:

I keep hearing of people being described as “experienced” climbers by the media and other climbers. What does this mean? If I read something in the newspapers about an experienced climber it could mean anything. I find that most reporters are clueless and will label anyone that has been up more than one mountain as experienced. If you where to label someone as experienced, what would you mean?

Umm. Graduating from the Mountaineers basic course? [laf]

What else could they say? They can't post a climbing resume for each person that gets in trouble. Someone who has been up say, the south side of Hood twice has considerable experience in the eyes of many news reporters. [Confused] I don't really think it means much since I have some experience. but I could snag my crampons on my pants tmr and die because I was "experienced" enough to feel comfortable w/o a rope.

The experience I look for in a partner is someone who can stay calm under pressure and doesn't just bail when things get tough. Being experienced in the medium we'd be attempting. Also being able to improvise equipment, being prepared and not bring to much redundant shit to slow us down. However sometimes no matter what the experience, no one is exempt from a mishap.

-

quote:

is someone who can stay calm under pressure and doesn't just bail when things get tough.

Sounds great. What do you do, put all your partners through a 'test epic' first? [Roll Eyes]

I definitely agree with you vis-a-vis mishaps: if alpinism was predictable it wouldn't be fun.

Sometimes experience keeps you from doing things that would be fun, but ass-bustingly difficult and risky. Where does that fit in?

-t

quote:

Originally posted by fredrogers:

quote:

Originally posted by MATT B:

I keep hearing of people being described as “experienced” climbers by the media and other climbers. What does this mean?

Umm. Graduating from the Mountaineers basic course?
[laf]
Naw, it's flunking out of the mounties. People who graduate don't know nuttin'.

quote:

Originally posted by terrible ted:

Sometimes experience keeps you from doing things that would be fun, but ass-bustingly difficult and risky. Where does that fit in?

-t

That's interesting.. Sometimes my past experiences or near misses make me hella nervous about doing things that I would have blindly enjoyed before.

Am I smarter for it... or just missing out? Probably both.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

quote:

Originally posted by terrible ted:

-t

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. In my neighborhood we call this "maturity." Are you willing to assume the risk? Are you willing to do the work? Do you have a good team? Is it worth it?

[ 07-30-2002, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Bianca Piaggio ]

Experienced climbers have just knowledge to get them in a bad situation regardless if they know how to get out of it.

Besides, most expereince comes from bad judgement. I'm sure thats something we all can realte to.

Go figure.....

All they have to know is enough that will get them into trouble. I think the media sometimes goes by what the parents say or friends, like; "Yeah they are experienced" and the media doesn't put down what else they say like ;"They go up Mt Pilchuck almost once a month!"

I'm just gapping [sleep] out at work

Being a newspaper reporter I can honestly tell you guys, when it comes to climbing, media doesn't have a friggin' clue. They mess up facts, lot of times call them "hikers". Reporters are lazy, they will take things for face value without checking it up. This isn't jut with climbing scenarios, this is with all avenues.

Do yourself a favor, never talk with a reporter (unless its me of course [big Grin] ), 9 times out of 10 you will be misquoted.

This is of course a generalization, but there are very few competent reporters out there and rule of thumb is, radio is worst, TV is a close second and newspapers are the best of a sad bunch.

[Frown]