Good eats up high

olyclimber

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was doing a lot of youth trips a few years back. One kid after all the training and stuff showed up for a weekend with four boxes of twinkies and four bags of hot dogs to do the weekend. The Poor guy figures out by sunday afternoon that that was a bad idea. crazy.gif

On a more serious, when I am up there two things I like are hot jello (just bring the dry mix and add to hot water, makes a pretty good hot fruit drink. fairly light weight).

Another thing is Pizza in a cup. Recipes vary I usually go with chopped HC, Dry onions, dry cheese (something like shredded parmesian doesn't freeze up to bad), and then some dried spaghetti sauce. Add hot water then scoop out and eat with a tortilla.

I was doing a lot of youth trips a few years back. One kid after all the training and stuff showed up for a weekend with four boxes of twinkies and four bags of hot dogs to do the weekend. The Poor guy figures out by sunday afternoon that that was a bad idea. crazy.gif

Ahhh...this reminds me of my scouting days. One time, near the end of an 80 miler we made by hooking up various trails in the Olympics, we made up this concoction we dubbed 'Rocky Mountain Spotted Frog' that was basically Top Ramen mixed with a packets of all the spices,seasonings, and stuff we had left over. I'm not sure what went wrong, but within 10 minutes of eating it about 9/10s of the group was spouting out of both ends. yelrotflmao.gif

"Technicolor yodel"

Cute. Reminds me of the red splotch I left on the ID last Sunday - mixture of cherry Powerade and undigested granny bar. Looked like fresh roadkill.

Back to the thread: can anyone think of something appealing to eat at 10 grand or above that isn't loaded with fat? Pizza? Sausage? Sheesh, I couldn't even drink water without gagging.

BTW -- what is a "40" of "OE"?

BDS

You can puke all night long at 5700, I'm a witness (and I'm not saying who!).

Personally, I like Ramen in the styrofoam cups, hc and cheese, Twinkies and hot dogs (no shit!), and little debbie's snacks (STFU, Sky!). Candy bars are good, too. thumbs_up.gif

GU when I'm working hard.

"Back to the thread: can anyone think of something appealing to eat at 10 grand or above that isn't loaded with fat? Pizza? Sausage? Sheesh, I couldn't even drink water without gagging.

when i am out setting mountain speed records and shit i dont have time to be eating and i dont have room to carry food. zoom zooom. you know?

An important consderation is ease of preparation and clean up. Most of the proposals here invlove little or no cooking. Good idea.

Ramen-type things are easy to choke down when you're not feeling 100%, but they don't mave a lot of calories. You can add stuff like cheese and sausage for calories, but fatty stuff like that can be hard to digest when you're not doing well. Nuts and dried fruit and stuff that is munchables straight from a plastic bag and you don't have to make any decision about how much to prepare are popular.

I've seen lots of people use mre's or similar foods, but these are heavy. They ARE real easy to deal with, though.

[quote

Back to the thread: can anyone think of something appealing to eat at 10 grand or above that isn't loaded with fat? Pizza? Sausage? Sheesh, I couldn't even drink water without gagging.

BDS

Matt P brings up some good points. It is a challenge to eat for some up high. But don't forget calories are your friend when climbing. Fats are high in calories, foods high in carbs are good for calories. Easy prep, easy cleanup is thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Anything that gets you to keep up your liquid intake, that helps you with calories is good. I like easy digest stuff morn. and aft. In the evening a fatty or high carb meal helps me sleep a little warmer. I have had to make some changes in my diet but these basic ideas still hold. I don't know if there is any "magic" foods.

Ithink that despite the yuck look that the coolest Idea I have seen for food up hight is squeez peanutbutter. Loaded with calories. And I can always get it down and generaly keep it down. I wonder if they have squeez jelly too???j Maybe this will be the year I climb a mountain grin.gif

I'm disappointed that the noble PopTart has been neglected on this thread.

Really. What else would you need?

I gag on those things. They are too dry and too greasy. Yuck! Never again.

That's it, CBS- I'm never letting you cook for me again.

Burritos with pork, onions, jalapenos, cheese slapped with tobasco sauce. Wash it down with an ice cold RedBull. Freeze dried apricots and strawberries for dessert. Maple syrup flavored oatmeal and strong coffee with cinnamon cream creamer, and two Krispy Kream doghnuts for breakfast. Snack on lots of cheese , pepperoni and Smuckers Jelly Beans.

Not to knock you mrdoolittle but I hate when people bring up the over hydrating thing. I'm not a physician but a medic so if a doc wants to give me a contrary please do. It is extreemly hard to over hydrate. The only cases I've seen are people trying to "clean their system" for a piss test. If your exercising and drinking a constant flow of water to keep your urine clear and replacing all those vital minerals you should be without question ok. Just a pet peeve.