What's a "standard rack" to you?

Greg_W

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the High times thread or sumtin?

I only use nuts, hexs, and tri cams... but that only cuz I'm a poor white kid tryin to make in the hood... One of these days I'll build my cam rack up and wonder why I was so stupid for not doing it sooner...

Fejas said:

rbw1966 said:

Automating the system costs all of about $20.

Eriks been kissing the pipe again.

HPS bulb cost more than 20 bucks dood....

'

Ok. Who's talking about bulbs 'dood'? I was talking strictly automation, not illumination.

the_finger.gif

rbw1966 said:

Fejas said:

rbw1966 said:

Automating the system costs all of about $20.

Eriks been kissing the pipe again.

HPS bulb cost more than 20 bucks dood....

'

Ok. Who's talking about bulbs 'dood'? I was talking strictly automation, not illumination.

the_finger.gif

Just like the great outdoors boss rolleyes.gif... I guess used pump are cheap, and vormiculite isn't that spendy...

A standard rack could be-

For a winter climb around here with snow ice and rock:

3-4 knife blades

1-2 lost arrows

1 Baby angle

blue, orange and yellow tcus

green and baby blue metolius cams

6-8 24 inch slings

10-18 carabiners

6-12 chocks

For a summer rock climb or mountain it could be:

blue, orange and yellow tcus

green and baby blue metolius cams

6-10 24 inch slings

10-18 carabiners

6-12 chocks

For a snow slog with some potential for low angle ice:

4-8 slings 24 inchers

one picket

2 ice screws

1-2 knife blades

For a cool route at Peshastin Pinnacles:

air voyagers

1-4 crash pads

An ambulance in the parking lot (optional)

a cell phone (optional)

Brand names aside, my standard rack is very much like Greg's.

Some things I've noticed are:

I like having extra double slings on moderate alpine routes (slinging trees/horns, minimizing rope drag).

On moderate alpine stuff, I like tricams .5-2.5 and hexes 7-9 a lot.

When climbing steep cracks, I don't want to futz around with nuts, hexes, or tricams because it's so tiring to place gear, and cams tend to go in faster and easier.

I tend to place the #4 Friend on nearly all pitches that I am carrying it. Many times it is the first or second piece I place. smile.gif

If I am climbing a sustained pitch near my limit for the first time that takes certain size ranges of pieces, I like the comfort of knowing that I won't run out of the critical piece when I need it (carrying doubles of handsize cams, etc.).

First: You don't have to get spendy to go hydro...you can use the non-circulating tray method, where you simply change the tray water once a week. This works well for a 10-12 plant closet size operation running a single 400w or 1000 hps, with about 4-6 plants per tray (using sea of green, single stalk, starting flowering cycle immediately after the clones root). An aquarium pump with Y-splitters on the hoses run into the trays will keep the medium oxygenated and you can use vermiculite, plain 'ol landscaping type lava rock, rockwool, or several other mediums. But, having HEARD about both methods, soil is just easier for a closet sized deal.

Philips 400w HPS bulbs run about $18 if you know where to go.

Oh yeah, the rack....

For me, it's all about the area...and specifically the climb itself. I've got a pretty extensive rack with triples or quads of just about everything and rack for the individual route. But in general on a multi-pitch I carry double set of cams and nuts and rack for individual pitches.

My interpretation of a "std rack" in route descriptions means cams #1 TCU-#3 camalot, a set of nuts, dozen slings, half dozen draws, 2 cordelettes, six lockers, glass/lighter/green.

Pshah, you've had your gear for so long you don't even want to admit to it anymore yellaf.gif

Cavey said it well.

Index rack:

- One full set BD stoppers (kind of suck)

- Another set of passives (HB offsets through knuckle-sized DMM wallnutz to pink, red tricams and couple of off-fingers/off-hands hexes)

- Double set of cams from blue Metolius TCU to #2 Camalot, plus bigger as needed

- Slings slings slings enough slings to tie a horse down

- Plus biners and lockers and, godsaveusall, maybe some draws?

Cpt.Caveman said:

For a cool route at Peshastin Pinnacles:

air voyagers

1-4 crash pads

An ambulance in the parking lot (optional)

a cell phone (optional)

Hey captdumbass.

there are legit crack climbs at PP worth doing fer sure!

so you definitely need the rest of the summer rack you also mentioned........ grin.gif