Car prowlers--what do they carry?

marylou

I'm looking at some options for trailhead security. Wondering if any of the car prowlers out there can tell me if they carry anything that will easily cut or chew through 1/8" steel aircraft cable.

I've tried to gnaw through it with a sharp pair of diagonal cutters before and seem to recall it took a while. Never tried a hack saw though. Thieves, any input here would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a product out there that has some cable in it. I know about the out-of sight thing, trying to get an idea as to whether it's something that would work for TH safe storage.

Sure, a hacksaw will cut metal, I know that. I'm thinking that aircraft cable would be tough for it though, the only thing that works easily in my experience is a pair of cable cutters, and I'm thinking car prowlers may not carry these. ??

marylou said:

I'm looking at some options for trailhead security. Wondering if any of the car prowlers out there can tell me if they carry anything that will easily cut or chew through 1/8" steel aircraft cable.

It's called a bolt cutter. 1/8" cable is butter to them. And they're pretty easy to find. http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004T9K0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

1) unhook the cables from your battery so they don't take the car

2) leave your car unlocked with absolutely nothing in it so they don't break a window

In a past job, I had a coworker who told me he had a car while going to Columbia University in Harlem. The car was broken into almost once every three nights at the beginning of his stay. He got so fed up, he hired a homeless man and paid him $3 a night to stay in the car every night.

Car prowlers/thieves may carry:

Slim Jim, Screw Driver, Rock, Ice Pick, Coat Hanger, etc.

Deterrants:

Nothing od value in plain sight... Piece of shit car... If CD player, take faceplate with you (even this is not enough of a deterrant for some thieves)...

What about putting a fake or old parking ticket on your car to make it look like there is a perceived presence of police? Thieves are paranoid.

Shucks used to carry fake stereo face covers that looked like old plastic am radios.

---------------------

At least one of my partners uses the leave nothing in the car and leave it unlocked theory. Not bad logic (ever seen how quick a slim jim works!) At least you don't get trashed windows.

________

Snow creek parking lot dialogue:

"Where you guys headed?" " OUTER SPACE- WE'VE BEEN WANTING TO DO IT FOR YEARS". "Great climb, have fun you two.... heh heh."

Ursa_Eagle said:

marylou said:

I give up. tongue.gif

well, you never did give us anymore information... what do the wires do? wrap around your car? protect something inside the car? are they somehow tied to a bedpost?

I was just wondering as to how much trouble people think a car prowler at a TH might have with 1/8 inch aircraft cable. That's all.