This just ain't right

allthumbs

Excerpts from ... WorldNetDaily.com

Posted: July 17, 2003

A federal judge says it could be cruel and unusual punishment to deprive a convicted killer from getting a sex change, and taxpayers must pick up the tab for medical treatment leading to the procedure.

Mark Brooks, who believes he's a "girl inside" and calls himself Jessica Lewis, and is suing the Clinton Correctional Facility in Putnam County, N.Y., for $500,000 to finance a gender transfer. ..

Brooks scored a victory this week when U.S. District Judge Lawrence Kahn ruled the suit could proceed and that prison administrators allow him to consult with physicians about his gender-identity disorder. ...

Kahn says decisions about treatment need to be made by medical professionals, not prison administrators, and cited the Eighth Amendment prohibiting cruel and unusual punishment which he said can include "deliberate indifference to serious medical needs." ...

"Surely inmates with diabetes, schizophrenia or any other serious medical need are not denied treatment simply because their conditions were not diagnosed before incarceration," he wrote. ..

Brooks, 34, was convicted in 1990 for a murder in upstate New York and is serving a sentence of 50 years to life. ..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Being convited of a crime and sentenced to a prison term involves the sacrificing of some rights in this country, and I'd say the right to a sex change operation is drfinitely on that list. WTF, are we actually going to have to pay for this? Christ.

So, operating under the assumption that his sexual identity crisis is in fact a disease in need of treatment (as the lawyers seem to be arguing it is), wouldn't following through on this operation simply bring the inmate's gender confusion to a "head"? yelrotflmao.gif

yellaf.gif The jokes just write themselves yellaf.gif

Doctor, doctor, I'll just DIE if I don't get my junk lopped off (or these pink pumps)! rolleyes.gif

Greg_W said:

MissNormandy said:

Maybe I could get the government to finance my boob job...

You could probably start a pool on this board and get that financed. rolleyes.gif

THOUGH WE WILL NEED TO VERIFY A NEED AND ALSO WILL HAVE TO HAVE AN ASSESMENT MADE AFTERWARDS.

erik said:

Greg_W said:

MissNormandy said:

Maybe I could get the government to finance my boob job...

You could probably start a pool on this board and get that financed. rolleyes.gif

THOUGH WE WILL NEED TO VERIFY A NEED AND ALSO WILL HAVE TO HAVE AN ASSESMENT MADE AFTERWARDS.

Goes without saying. That's just good investing...although it might be wise to have a board of directors decide the final size.