Acclimatizing for Adams North Ridge

Just wondering if you guys think this would be a waste of time:

Day 1. Hike up to Camp Muir at 10000' and spend the night

Day 2. Descend, drive to Mount Adams, spend the night at ca 6000 ft at High Camp.

Day 3. Climb Adams.

The pertinent question is, will this give even a modicum of acclimatization for the 12000 ft altitude we're shooting for?

Thanks!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adams is 12,000 feet high, but you do not spend enough time at high elevation for most people to become ill. Yes, I know that some folks feel symptoms as low as 8,000 feet and maybe lower, and I know that there have been cases of cerebral edema at elvations no higher than Mount Adams, but you can easily climb Adams in a day or, if not, the typical north side basecamp is at somewhere around 6,000 feet and although I am sure it has happend to somebody, I have never heard of anybody suffering significant symptoms at that elevation. I have altitude issues when climbing Mount Rainier, but have never had any trouble on Adams.

By the way, some folks complain about the garbage rock on the North Ridge, but I think it is a good choice. I also have enjoyed the Lava Cleaver and the Northwest Ridge, though both have quite a bit of crappy talus and more exposure than the North Ridge.

The best way to not feel bad at "altitude" in the lower 48 is to get in better shape. Yeah, you may feel some slight AMS symptoms at 10-12k, but it is not like you are moving there. You cannot acclimate to the elevation in such a short period of time. Since you are having a little trouble with the altitude, I'd reccommend going up to the trailhead late on Friday night and sleeping at a few thousand feet, then going up to high camp, on Saturday and summitting on Sunday. Or you could spend two nights at high camp, which is more than enough. 12,000' is not very high, and like others have said in this post, there are documented cases of pulmonary edema and thelike at these elevations, but they are very rare. Train a little harder, pace yourself (ie. move slower), add a little presssure breathing, and drink a ton of fluids. Why go to Muir if you are trying to climb Adams, just go to Adams instead!

If you are still sucking wind and feeling like crap, then I would suggest a little more time in the gym. Best of luck! thumbs_up.gif

I second lee's advice, I even heard an old cowboy in Montana talking about green-horns having to drink a lot of water to avoid headaches when first working in the high country. Drink till it hurts and eat high carb foods.

Gator suggests taking one asprin 3 times/day to help keep your blood thin and assist in acclimazation. I have made a practice of doing this on Rainier and very rarely feel any altitude, although I'm sure I'll get nailed on one of these trips.

Of course he also said Dan - set a speed record on Mt. Rainer. rolleyes.gif

techboy,

water, asperin etc are all good suggestions, and yes i think there is some validity to your plan of pre-acclimating, as i have heard some doctor dude who does altitude research say it works. if you wanted a summit instead of muir you could climb baker, although i guess that wouldn't mean spending the night up there but you could if you wanted and i think that would be cool to spend the night on top. i skied the standard coleman route a couple days ago and it is in great shape. you could get down baker in a whiteout almost as easily as muir if the weather went south while you're up there.

The biggest advantage to Diamox (Acetazolamide) comes when sleeping at altitude. Essentially, it makes you breathe more during a period of time normally associated with low respiration. You then start the day at a lower oxygen debt than you would otherwise. You'll need to drink even more water to counter the diuretic effect. It will only have a marginal effect on a short climb like Adams. Many people have allergic responses or other contraindications. Try it out at home before you rely on it in the field. Better yet, save it for Denali...

-t

You can kill or injure yourself by drinking too much water. "Water intoxication" from dangerously diluted blood serum levels is injuring more and more people every year as more and more idiots follow the 8 LITERS OF WATER EVERY DAY recommendation invented as a marketing ploy by Evian.

Beer will keep you from overhydrating. Have one now! bigdrink.gif

I usually take a toilet paper roll and steam roll an ounce the week before the trip. I then give myself two days to let my lungs start to work again, and it is amazing. It is like training with a 55 pound pack, and then going to a 25 pound pack for the climb. REMARKABLE!!

Patent pending shocked.gifsnaf.gif

Dru said:

You can kill or injure yourself by drinking too much water. "Water intoxication" from dangerously diluted blood serum levels is injuring more and more people every year as more and more idiots follow the 8 LITERS OF WATER EVERY DAY recommendation invented as a marketing ploy by Evian.

Beer will keep you from overhydrating. Have one now! bigdrink.gif

8 liters!? Holy shit, that's a huge amount of water. I can't imagine forcing that much down me in a day. Also, anybody else notice how absolutely terrible Evian tastes? I will drink any water from a bottle cause I think they are all about the same with the exception of evian, it tastes horrible.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dru said:

Beer will keep you from overhydrating. Have one now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

will do!

Bottled, canned, keg..whatever!!! bigdrink.gif