Accident in Squamish

Dru

I see on the Gripped bulletin board, that there has been a death in Squamish.

Here is the thread

http://www.gripped.com/web/forum/toast.asp?sub=show&action=posts&fid=8&tid=1913

There is no info yet except what ppl have posted: that it was an experienced, Seattle based climber who rapped or was lowered off the end of the rope while approaching the mid station on Exasperator, groundfell and died.

More info will be presented as it becomes available.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple good friends of mine were at the accident. No news from them as I didn't feel like talking about it if they didn't want to.

One of them was also first on the scene at Ben DeMenech's death a while back. I feel for him. frown.gif

Skip - In case you don't know, Exasperator doesn't really hook up to the Grand, so here's hoping it wasn't your buddy.

latest from gripped board

the climber was at the second anchor when another party asked them to set a top-rope for them, they sent up a rope and in the process of switching the ropes, he fell. Paramedics were able to bringing him back briefly but he died on scene.

From Kiro 7 News

SQUAMISH, British Columbia -- A climber who died in a fall from a rock face near Squamish, British Columbia, has been identified as 41-year-old David Christopher Gunstone of Renton.

Police say he fell about 100 feet Saturday during a climb called the Exasperator on the Grand Wall on a rock formation called the Squamish Chief.