Adventures in group dynamics

dryad

Have you ever wanted to kill your climbing partner?

Have you ever had a psycho from hell in your party?

Have you ever experienced any horrific failure in group dynamics?

What happened, and more importantly, how did you deal with the situation? I want to hear your stories.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahahahahahahahaha

sorry

no, but i have some of the best people in the world as climbing partnrs, now ask them about me, i doubt they would echo the same sentiment.....

it all comes down to what you make of it, as long as the sitmo is not life threating, then one can certainly direct the energy of the group.

dryad said:

What happened, and more importantly, how did you deal with the situation? I want to hear your stories.

The answer is NO. I haven't wanted to kill anyone yet. One of three must be true: 1) I get along with everyone (doubt it), 2) I've been lucky, or 3) I haven't climbed with enough different people yet - just wait - it'll happen to me too. Actually, I had one partner I didn't get along with, but I think it was he who wanted to kill me.

dryad said:

Are you taking a class and need to write a paper on the topic or what? tongue.gif

As far as group dymanics, do you mean in climbing or other situations? smirk.gif

wazzup.gif

dryad said:

Q: Have you ever wanted to kill your climbing partner?

A: Yes

Q: Have you ever had a psycho from hell in your party?

A: Yes

Q: Have you ever experienced any horrific failure in group dynamics?

A: A number of times.

Q: What happened, and more importantly, how did you deal with the situation? I want to hear your stories.

A:Life goes on. If you buy me some beer I can tell some funny stories bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

No, I'm not writing a paper or anything like that. I just had a pretty ridiculous weekend (Long, long, long soap opera story best told over a few stiff drinks) and was curious about other people's experiences, that's all.

Oh OK! Sounds like a good story if we could have a Few beers to discuss it. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

I haven't wanted to kill anyone yet. But irritation comes to mind when thinking of stupid women or attention whores in a group.

You know? grin.gif Dumb men also bother me. cantfocus.gif

"Where's Gary?" became the mantra for my buddy Ed and I on a climbing road trip once. Definitely a story best saved for over beers.

I'd give my left nut to hear the stories the Judds, Garys, and other people tell in contrast to our perspectives.

dryad said:

Q: Have you ever wanted to kill your climbing partner?

A: If you have ever climbed with Craig or Rich, the answer must be a resounding "YES!!"

Q: Have you ever had a psycho from hell in your party?

A: If you have ever climbed with Snickers, the answer must be...

Q: Have you ever experienced any horrific failure in group dynamics?

A: I lived it with my family for, oh, say, 17 YEARS!!!

Q: What happened?

A: I turned to alcohol and drugs to deaden the impact

Q: and more importantly, how did you deal with the situation?

A: Therapy.

fern said:

if all these stories are 'best told over a few beers' then

why start a thread about it at all confused.gif.

this topic had potential but has become a disappointing

thread which I will only rate 1 star.

thumbs_down.gif

Agreed. Dish some dirt people!

YEAH!!! WHAT FERN SAID!!!!!

WHAT A BUNCH OF LAZY F88KS!!!

This is a goddamned discussion board which is just perfect for telling great stories about partners you have wanted to kill!! Bronco...here's a beer to you bigdrink.gif! YOU didn't ask people to relate their stories and then when asked to do the same made some lame ass "best over beers" excuse rolleyes.gif.

WRITE YOUR STORIES LAME-O'S!!! ENUF WITH THE LAME EXCUSES. Oh, maybe your stories aren't that good after all. I'll listen to your stories if YOU are buying bigdrink.gif. maybe

Or perhaps you are worried that the person you are slamming will read the story here? Oh.... I get it.

dryad said:

no

Have you ever had a psycho from hell in your party??

I climb with Dru a lot

Have you ever experienced any horrific failure in group dynamics?? What happened, and more importantly, how did you deal with the situation? I want to hear your stories.

I did a road-trip with a strange guy and over the course of 5 days we talked less and less to each other until we spent a couple of days exchanging bitter monosyllabic grunts. Then we had it out about what a horrible time we were each having and ended up eating a nice Thai dinner in J-Tree and watching LOTR#1 and getting along fine. Lots of interpersonal tension is just misunderstandings which can be easily resolved by actually telling others your concerns ... that's like Grade 10 Guidance and Life Skills class you learn that right? Climbing situations can have the additional challenge of people being not only socially sketchy but also safety sketchy ... that takes some finesse to deal with sometimes but can be a great learning experience for becoming self-reliant.

My most disappointing group dynamic climbing experiences have not been with people I don't get along with, but rather with people whose company I enjoy greatly in the city but are just incompatible as climbing partners.