American Folk Singers

JGowans

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Gowans likes good music, but I don't like that moniker "folk music," which has a sissy/commie connotation. You've reeled off some of the great blues, country, bluegrass artists and call 'em "folk."

My old man amassed a huge collection of music, a lot of it old bluegrass, country, and C&W. Lucky for me, at 80 he figured out how to burn CDs, and recorded or downloaded/burned some great ones for our kids. I listen to them as much as they do.

bigdrink.gif to him.

Winter listed a few of my other faves (Kottke, Prine, Baez, Dylan, etc.).

My old man had a bunch of stuff when I was a kid by the Mamas and the Papas; Peter, Paul & Mary; Joan Baez; The Cowsills; New Christy Minstrels (or something like that) all around the time of our early involvment in Vietnam. Haven't heard that stuff in years.

Like RobBob's old man, my old man put it all down on reel-to-reel tapes back then. I could listen to it, if I ever set up my Akai deck again. rolleyes.gif

Another of the newer generation of folk singers I like pretty well is Iris Dement, haven't seen her mentioned yet. Definitely agree w/ Allison Krauss, Gillian Welch, Nanci Griffith, Emmylou Harris. I like to think "folk music" is a fairly all encompassing term. Definitely bluegrass, blues, old school country, that kind of stuff.

RobBob said:I don't like that moniker "folk music," which has a sissy/commie connotation.

Ahh of course, how about Utah Phillips? Its the between song stories that he really excels at, but he does have a deep love of American folk music, with a healty dose of the labor politics version. Of the brits, there's also Billy Bragg, though he's more of the doc marten's wearing faux folk variety. Check out Golden Delicious or the solo stuff by Pete Krebs (in GD as well as the long lost Hazel, decidedly NOT folk).

E-Rock, Giant Sand has had more members than you can shake a stick at. Covertino and Burns (Calexico) were mainstays, and defintely still tour with Howe Gelb, but Giant Sand has always been Gelb's baby and he just fills in the roster with buddies as needed. He has gone all adult and shit lately, I miss the older sloppy rock and rage of the earlier years.

Bluegrass:

Bill Monroe, Flatt & Scruggs, Doc and Merle Watson, Jerry Garcia with Old & In the Way (Peter Rowin, David Grisman, John Kahn, Vassar Clements), The Carter Family, Del McRory, John Hartford

Rock:

Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Allman Brothers, Bob Dylan, The Dead, Janis Joplin, Simon & Garfunkle

Blues:

Robert Johnson, Lead Belly, Pink Anderson

While I enjoy a variety of music, I submit that the best 'folk music' is the music made by black folk while I was growing up:

Sam & Dave, Jerry Butler, Stevie Wonder, Percy Sledge, Smoky Robinson, Jackie Wilson, Marvin, Otis, Aretha, Four Tops, Edwin Starr, Junior Walker, etc.

My point, traskman, is that the term 'folk music' don't mean shit. Soul-based R&B is just as much "American folk' as bluegrass is.

And that old Big Rock Candyass Mountain type worker-rights shit is just commie music.

Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder are playing some pretty hot bluegrass these days, seen them live a couple times. I like Del McCoury and the boys, too.

What about Steve Earle? He's kinda all over the place, some kinda rock, some more folkish story song stuff, some bluegrassy. Some a bit on the commie side of things. He's got one of those gruff, raspy voices that sounds good in spite of itself.

• 1 month later...

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions. I've been checking out the local record shops. Also, I bought tix for the Ani Defranco show at the Pier on July 18th. solo acoustic. A waste of money or well spent dollars? Anybody else going?