Invasion of the pad people

cj001f

From the UIAA journal:

http://journal.uiaa.ch/art.asp?id=229

The Invasion of the Boulderers - The late 1990's saw a dramatic increase in bouldering activities in the eastern sierra. From essentially no use in the fall of 1998 - to the present, over 45,000 young enthusiastic climbers/boulderers arrived to test their skills on the bouldering problems of the region.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and the report continues...."What were once deserted desert canyons of volcanic tuff were overnight transformed into bouldering opportunities of world-class note."

"bouldering OPPORTUNITIES of WORLD-CLASS note."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Here come the turtles!

020419-PBC_HikingToTheCompetition_sm.jpg

020419-PBC_StartingTheHikeToCompete_sm.jpg

Well you picked up all of the beer cans and tape, so what else are we gonna throw at ya? pitty.gif

Climb what you wanna climb, just don't pile five bouldering pads on the ground to protect that one problem. Good that's lame when they put 80 pads down. thumbs_down.gif

I agree it's kind of funny watching all those folks walking around with monoliths on their backs like extras from 2001: A Space Odyssey III. We had a pad on my most recent trip to Bishop, but we're poorly trained old farts and kept leaving the damnned thing behind as we moved on to look at another problem, and pretty soon we'd be back to the old familiar "hey, umm, could I get a spot here, I'm climbing down" routine.

On the plus side, the bouldering hordes are actually pretty easy company, accustomed to urban densities, and ready to share space. They don't teach that in the Mountaineers...

Erik,

I've gotten two sprained ankles from bad landings. Unless I get one of my padded friends out, I go padless, and if the landing is really sketchy and there is a very good chance I'm gonna blow the dyno, I tuck tail.

I Don't mind people using pads, my beef is seeing about six pads padding a whole area, looks like a room they put you in with that funny jacket with the really long sleeves. mushsmile.gif

...not that I'm talkin from experience or sumthin... cantfocus.gif

Szyjakowski said:

i like to call them what rat affectionately named them 'the tribe'

no affection was implied. by the way, that tribal campsite near the "corral" (name?) bouldering area complete with glass/garbage-strewn firepit, boy scout-ditched tent pad, and benches is now gone. that sorta shit just doesn't play. it made me ashamed to be out bouldering.

rat said:

Szyjakowski said:

i like to call them what rat affectionately named them 'the tribe'

no affection was implied. by the way, that tribal campsite near the "corral" (name?) bouldering area complete with glass/garbage-strewn firepit, boy scout-ditched tent pad, and benches is now gone. that sorta shit just doesn't play. it made me ashamed to be out bouldering.

yeah, no affection intented really either..

GOOD JOB RATFINK! bigdrink.gif

rat said:

by the way, that tribal campsite near the "corral" (name?) bouldering area complete with glass/garbage-strewn firepit, boy scout-ditched tent pad, and benches is now gone. that sorta shit just doesn't play. it made me ashamed to be out bouldering.

thumbs_up.gif