Freaking Mounties

thelawgod

Isn't this about the time of year that the Mutineers have their "Rock II" field trip in Leavenworth? Anyone know when it is?

Think this year my friends and I will go set up countless top-ropes all over Clamshell, and then, when the Mounties ask me if I’ll remove the ropes from the routes that I’m not climbing on, I’ll tell them what they always tell me—“I was here first!” the_finger.gif

I need a good laugh—any good Mountaineers stories from the last year that anyone would like to share? fruit.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently put in a request with someone from the Everett chapter that they post something every time they are going to be in the Icicle. It would be oh so nice if the Seattle chapter would do the same thing. Also the WAC and the Boealps if anyone out there can help. thumbs_up.gif

What would also be oh so nice IMO is if they would limit their group size, even if it means they are there more often. I've done almost no climbing there because of the crowds of climbing club classes I see every time I am in the area.

catbirdseat said:

April 26-27. TLG, if you have a rope up and someone is climbing on it, fine. The rules are the same for everyone. If the Mountaineers have a rope up and no one is climbing on it, tell them to take it down and let you have the route.

Thanks for the info. CBS!

Sure, some Mounties are cool, it's just that 99% of those I've met were unsafe, unpleasant, idiot, buttholes. moon.gif And don't talk to me about rules--the Mountaineers make up the rules as they go. At a Rock II field trip a few years ago, some old know-it-all bastard ripped me a new hole when he thought I was going to set up a rope next to his.

the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

CBS if you're associated with the Mounties, here's a tip for your students--more ticks in Leavenworth this season than I've ever seen before. Long pants and sleeves if it's not too hot. bigdrink.gif

thelawgod said:

Think this year my friends and I will go set up countless top-ropes all over Clamshell, and then, when the Mounties ask me if I’ll remove the ropes from the routes that I’m not climbing on, I’ll tell them what they always tell me—“I was here first!”

So how does one distinguish the Mountaineer asshole from the non-Mountaineer asshole without a guide? rolleyes.gif

Attitude said:

thelawgod said:

Think this year my friends and I will go set up countless top-ropes all over Clamshell, and then, when the Mounties ask me if I’ll remove the ropes from the routes that I’m not climbing on, I’ll tell them what they always tell me—“I was here first!”

So how does one distinguish the Mountaineer asshole from the non-Mountaineer asshole without a guide? rolleyes.gif
Judge people based upon how they act and not on who you think they are or how they look. Calmly explain yourself when you know you are right.

catbirdseat said:

Attitude said:

thelawgod said:

Judge people based upon how they act and not on who you think they are or how they look. Calmly explain yourself when you know you are right.

How do I tell which are Mounties? Easy, they're usually the bitches trundling rocks down on me. Also, they're wearing official Mountaineers garb (i.e., Navy blue top, convertible brown pants, and gators), and carrying a bunch of shiny new gear.

CBS I’m sure you're a cool Mountie thumbs_up.gif; you’d be a gentleman if I asked you to pull a rope. It's just that the majority of experiences I've had with Mounties have been negative.

The Mounties were everywhere this past weekend. The scrambling course was encamped at 8-Mile and I saw plenty of helmet nametags at Vantage, where we retreated to after Sunday morning's rain.

Mountaineer's Dome aka Beginner's Buttress was swarming with GoreTex-clad folks on Saturday. Was that the scrambling course?

slothrop said:

The Mounties were everywhere this past weekend. The scrambling course was encamped at 8-Mile and I saw plenty of helmet nametags at Vantage, where we retreated to after Sunday morning's rain.

Mountaineer's Dome aka Beginner's Buttress was swarming with GoreTex-clad folks on Saturday. Was that the scrambling course?

I have no idea who you met at Vantage. The scramblers use an area across the street from eightmile campground not normally used by climbers, mostly easy boulders and slabs. The Everett Branch Intermediate Climbing Course was on Mountaineer Dome. The students were learning to place pro on top rope. I dare say there were probably not any other climbers who would have willingly gone climbing in the rain. It sucked.

I hope you had fun at Vantage.

allison said:

I recently put in a request with someone from the Everett chapter that they post something every time they are going to be in the Icicle. It would be oh so nice if the Seattle chapter would do the same thing. Also the WAC and the Boealps if anyone out there can help. thumbs_up.gif

BoAlps Intermediate will be out in Icicle this weekend. Everett Mountain Rescue is running a self rescue clinic in conjunction with them on Saturday.

Erik's right. Any moron you meet out there is a moron. And lots of moron's is way worse than just a few. Go rock climbing in the Fall and skiing in the Spring if you don't like moron's, but whether or not there is a posted "mountie alert" I wouldn't expect to find all the easy climbs empty and available at Index or Leavenworth or Vantage or North Bend on a nice day on a weekend in April or May. And I certainly wouldn't expect anybody to announce, in advance, that they are going to be at such and such a crag with 25 of their moron friends -- at least not on this bulletin board -- because they'll catch nothing but flack for it.

If you get warning of an impending mountie outing, be thankful. If the mountie moves their rope so you can do a climb, be thankful. But as rude and competetive as most of us are, you really don't have any right to demand it because I doubt most of you would move your rope for them if you thought that one of your friends might still want to take another lap on it and I don't see many of you announcing that "Hey, you might not want to climb Outer Space on Saturday, because I'm taking my girlfriend and two of our gym-friends up it and we're going to be slow."

mattp said:

But as rude and competetive as most of us are, you really don't have any right to demand it because I doubt most of you would move your rope for them if you thought that one of your friends might still want to take another lap on it and I don't see many of you announcing that "Hey, you might not want to climb Outer Space on Saturday, because I'm taking my girlfriend and two of our gym-friends up it and we're going to be slow."

Well, that's just because us rude and competitive Mountie-haters don't have any friends. fruit.gif

thumbs_up.gif mattp

Those of you who go around insulting mounties may not realize how many of us are on cc.com too. And in any case, the rocks are there for everybody, and if that's an inconvenience to you, tough shit. Quit yer bitchin' and suck it up. Besides, if you're so hot, what are you doing toproping 5.4's anyway?

this type of thread has not surfaced for awhile! BTW I had a good experience with the WAC at Tieton last year. There were a bunch of them there, but were quite willing to stand aside for us to do a few routes in the area they were teaching (I think it was a trad leading class I guess).

erik said:

why limit it to mounties?? i have seen plenty of other climbers pull jackass manuevers, pretty much anyone whom thinks themselves better then anyone else tend to be the real morons out there.

Amen brother wave.gif

In addition, all of those groups tend to be annoying as hell, just because there are so damn many of them all in one spot. any group can be bad in my mind, be it a group of friends, or a guided group. I have met morons everywhere, even many pairs and single climbers.

dryad said:

thumbs_up.gif mattp

Those of you who go around insulting mounties may not realize how many of us are on cc.com too. And in any case, the rocks are there for everybody, and if that's an inconvenience to you, tough shit. Quit yer bitchin' and suck it up. Besides, if you're so hot, what are you doing toproping 5.4's anyway?

Yeah, this seems to be the major point. Normally mounties and other groups are on fairly easy routes, so who really cares.