TicKs!

slaphappy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fleblebleb said:

Was there some other thread about ticks and disease and such? What's the big deal about ticks? Find, squash, send, send, send? Eh, Specialed?

Deer ticks can carry Lime disease... symtoms are flue like I think and if not treated can cause you to die... i think if you are exposed to lime diease the tick bite is surronded by a red circle...

South side of Erie is covered with them in the springtime. It's an annual ritual of checking the partner and picking the ticks off of her, and vice versa. No big deal, you have better chance of dying in a car crash than Lyme disease in Washington. Check it out, the data is about two years old but still relevent.

http://www.skagitvalleyherald.com/articles/2001/07/05/news23505.txt

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

Deer ticks can carry Lime disease... symtoms are flue like I think and if not treated can cause you to die... i think if you are exposed to lime diease the tick bite is surronded by a red circle...

Initial symptoms are flue like, but it can get worse.

plexus said:No big deal, you have better chance of dying in a car crash than Lyme disease in Washington. Check it out, the data is about two years old but still relevent.

Hmm, dying in a car crash is actually something I worry about from time to time, so that stat doesn't make me feel much better. Anyway, it's the bit before you die that's worse anyway. Joint pain, kinda like debilatating arthritis. Might put a bit of a damp rag on your climbing.

Ahh heck, why not just read the American Lyme Disease Foundation web page. Their info is probably way more accurate than mine. rolleyes.gif

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

fleblebleb said:

Was there some other thread about ticks and disease and such? What's the big deal about ticks? Find, squash, send, send, send? Eh, Specialed?

The ticks have to be in you for a few days! before they can spread disease. Of all the years of climbing I've done in Montana, which makes L-worth look like Martha Stewart's bedroom as far as ticks are concerned, I've had maybe three dug into me and they've been extracated at the end of the day - no big deal. You're not getting any disease unless the tickies hang out in you for days and days - and then its like a 1 in ten thousand chance that tick has lyme disease or RMSF anyway wazzup.gif

and most of the redneck methods of ridding yourself of ticks (burn it with a butt, cover it with grease, etc) only make the tick puke its meal, and gut bacteria, back into your arm or whatever, radically increasing your chance of getting the Lyme...

Hmm, that page doesn't mention why the tweezers are the way, but I'll buy that explanation. Where is the barf gremlin when you need it, eh? Guess it also means it's better to be fairly decisive with the tweezers.

The real question - raise your hands if you carry tweezers on your Cascades rack (right next to the chainsaw yellaf.gif)