Beta on the Killer Gear Shelf

PullinFool

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When not working on the rock my gear spends most of its time relaxing on the floor of my quad or vacationing in the trunk of my car. Only a few pieces have tried to commit suicide by jumping from the rack while on the rock. Luckily, most were only banged up. We here at the Duncan Home for Gear have had the difficulty of dealing with a few carabiner runaways but overall our success rate is high with many pieces of pro leading active (and passive) lives. If you know any gear that could use a good home please contact us. We hate to see pieces of good pro go bad. Our facilities may seem meager but we promise excellent accomadations in which they will share a spot on a wonderful metolious gear loop. As an added bonus we take weekly field trips to mountains and crags around the world.

I keep most of it on a pile on the living room floor, my wife doesn't like that very much. I occasionally stash everything in plastic bins in the closet but that never lasts long. Wish I had space for the peg-board-on-the-wall idea, I might have to improvise something around that sometime.

I solved the bike and ski problem nicely though - check this out[/ur], the cosmetic irregulars aluminum wall racks are a great deal at $80 or $100.

At my last place I had a stairway to the basement that wasn’t used (lead to another apartment ). I piled gear on the stairs and could walk down and pick out what I needed. The railing above it was a useful place to dry stuff too. It was a beautiful thing, my Pit of Gear. Now I have a wedge-shaped, under the stairs closet. To get to stuff in the back I have to swim over the pile in the front. Terrible. Soon I’m going implement the plastic tote box system, a different tote for each sport, and one for the multi-sport stuff.

danielpatricksmith said:

I store climbing gear in huge plastic containers I buy from Target.

Same here, stored in bedroom closet, modified because there wasn't enough space inbetween the shelves. Nothing some 1x2s couldn't fix. Also our crampons are right next to the pile of bathroom towels in the closet. Sleeping pads and tents are behind the overhanging part of our bouldering wall (great storage).

Dr. Flash Amazing had a recent gear-storage epiphany, appropriate for those homeowners whose homes are equipped with basements (or "cellars" if you're the back east type). A 3'x3' trap door near your home's entry, opening onto a laundry-chute type of deal that gradually curves to horizontal at the basement floor, preferably emptying onto linoleum or some other slick surface so the exit to the chute doesn't get clogged up. Upon arriving home from your latest venture, simply open the trap door and chuck your gear down the chute. Out of sight, out of mind until you feel like dealing with it!