Alpinist 1

Alex

for those interested, Alpinist 1 is on store shelves and I found it worth buying. Very reminiscent of Mountain, inspiring, not a lot of advertising, dedicated to alpine (not rock or sporto or the Colorado and Yosemite scene like other rags seem to be).

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its "dedicated to alpine" I have to wonder why the big feature on (yawn) desert spire climbing. Or the fiction piece about some aging tradster out with his buddy. Or the recycled Kennan Harvey photos.

I also disliked the fact that they had Tami Knight write and had someone else (Jeremy Collins, yawn) do the art! What the madgo_ron.gif, don't they understand that Tami's CARTOONS are her main strength????

And there were a lot of typos and minor errors just like when Beckwith ran the AAJ.

But I still bought a copy and have reread it several times!

It does seem a little, uh, counterintuitive that a magazine called 'Alpinist' would do an article on desert spire climbing. Or has the definition of "alpine" recently been expanded to include hot, sandy lowlands?

Anyway, whatever, Dr. Flash Amazing won't pick up a copy 'til they change their name to 'Sportist' and alter their content accordingly ("How to Yard on Chipped Monos All Day and Not Twang Your Tendons" or "Twenty Classic Clip-ups Within Spittin' Distance of the Road" etc.).

fruit.gif

al·pin·ism also Al·pin·ism (lp-nzm)

n.

Mountain climbing, especially in the Alps.

alpin·ist n.

al·pine (lpn)

adj.

Of, relating to, or characteristic of the Alps or their inhabitants.

Of or relating to high mountains.

Biology. Living or growing on mountains above the timberline: alpine plants.

Sports.

Intended for or concerned with mountaineering.

Of or relating to competitive downhill racing and slalom skiing events.

"Hey! Me and my buddiez are gonna start a klimbing magazeen for kidz called "Kraggin' Korral"! Send us $5 and we promiss not two right anything about bolders and other stuf on the ground. Only big mountain stuff. Send us $5 befor my voice changes and we start spending all of our time and money bying C.D.s and listening to crap music."

sign,

Little Rheinhold, master of all alpanizm.

carrot.jpg

Screw that. Let's pursue ever diverging topics --with only a semblance of addressing other's arguements-- while pumping up the volume on insults.

eg. "Alpine" is a crunchy stereo system, but you're so fat, your cereal bowl has a life guard.

I heard that a condom was a large apartment complex. Any truth to that rumor?

The only difference between a desert spire and an adjacent cliff of say, Wingate sandstone, is that the spire has a much smaller diameter. American desert spires, with only few exceptions, are cragging, not alpine. The same goes for the sandstone in Wadi Rum and so on. Antarctica is glaciated etc. so Id call those alpine. Ditto Patagonian spires. Has nothing to do with the height of the mts. in question.

Re-

so if alpine climbing has to be at high altitude, where does that leave climbs like those in patagonia?

sure wouldn't call them crags!...

I dont call them crags. I guess that most wouldnt either.

I just dont think desert towers are in the same category. Furthermore I think that with the number of mountains and ranges available to the editors they should have no problem finding some peaks to write about.

Cavey said: "I dont call them crags. I guess that most wouldn't either.

yeah, didn't think you would, that was my point

i think dru's got it closest... really it's some combination of only somewhat objectively-defined combination of factors that have to do with the conditions you'll have to deal with when on the climb...

but i agree, i wouldn't put desert spires in this category-