[TR] Johannesburg Mountain - NE Buttress 10/7/2012

Tom_Sjolseth

Trip: Johannesburg Mountain - NE Buttress

Date: 10/7/2012

Trip Report:

Everyone has a special place they’re particularly fond of, one that they return to time and time again. One such place for me is Johannesburg Mountain. For some reason, despite the hazards, I keep returning to this majestic and rugged place to bask in its beauty, and revel in the sights and sounds of a quintessential North Cascades alpine environment. For the North Cascades enthusiast, Johannesburg is a smorgasbord of rugged terrain, scenic beauty, and alpine challenge that has few rivals.

With the forecast this October weekend of 60 degree temperatures at pass level, there was no question a trip to the N Cascades was in order. It didn’t take long for me to persuade Daniel to join me on a climb of Johannesburg’s NE Rib, a climb I had done twice before. I talked it up to him on a ski trip up Mt Torment (directly across the valley) a couple of years ago, and he had wanted to climb it ever since.

Departing Seattle at 4AM, we wanted to time it so we got to the Cascade Pass parking lot just as the sun was rising. We were leaving the parking lot at 7AM, just before sunrise. Unique to North Cascades peaks that can be considered rugged, the approach to Johannesburg takes all of 25 minutes. Descend from the parking lot, cross the mouth of the Cascade River, and ascend a talus slope to the base of the C-J Couloir. The snow was rock-solid and we were glad to have aggressive steel crampons, especially for the exposed upper portion of the arête. Upon transitioning to rock, the moat was enormous. After a bit of searching, we found the most reasonable spot to get onto the rock which involved downclimbing a 20 ft vertical step.

The NE Rib consists of ~2500’ of steep to vertical bushwhacking, followed by 1200’ of steep rock, then a final 1000’ of steep glacier to the summit involving a knife-edge snow arête with nearly 5000’ of exposure. The challenge on the lower portion of the route is to find a thread that involves minimal bushwhacking, because the potential for epic bushwhacking is real. There is sort of a path (if you can call it one) where it is obvious people have been there, but staying on it is not easy. Daniel and I managed to find the path of least resistance, and we both enjoyed swinging from branch to branch and making relatively quick progress up the lower portion of the NE Buttress. Soon, steep bushwhacking leads to steep heather and eventually rock as you break out above tree line. We paused frequently to enjoy the views.. the vivid colors of October in the N Cascades were everywhere around us, and to be able to witness them amid comfortable 60 degree temperatures was a real treat.

Finally we reached the steep rock headwall just below the bivy spot. The first time I climbed the NE Buttress with Steph, we found a route through the upper headwall that required only low 5th class. The second time I climbed it with Wayne and Sergio, we ran into 5.8 rock. This time, Daniel and I found ourselves in the exact same spot Wayne, Sergio, and I wound up.. staring up at ~100’ pitch of loose 5.8. Daniel drew the short straw, and led the pitch. There were some tenuous moments when Daniel got to a particularly loose section. Holds that he needed to use were barely glued into the mountain with dirt and gravel. I reminded him that I was right below him, so he was very careful not to release any rocks. He did a great job, and we were both happy with how things had gone up to this point.

We reached the bivy site 10 minutes later, and set up for the night. There was no running water, so we chopped away at the icy snow with our ice axes and collected a garbage bag full of ice chunks to melt for water. We both shared a pint of whisky, and watched the sun set over Eldorado Peak and Boston Basin. I took time to reflect on a memorable climbing season, and knew this would be the last climb of the “Summer” season.

The next morning we awoke with the sunrise (now around 7:15), and packed up for the final summit climb and subsequent descent back to the parking lot. The snow, again, was rock-solid.. luckily, though, the glacier hadn’t yet melted down to bare ice. We took our time ascending the precarious knife-edge arête. The arête was sharper than on my two previous ascents, and the snow much firmer. This bumped up the seriousness quite a bit. The exposure on the arête is wild.. thousands of feet down to either side, and a magnificent position with stellar views to the surrounding peaks of Cascade Pass. I was worried about bergschrund issues, and those worries became reality when we got to the schrund. A huge crack spanned nearly the entire width of the glacier, with really only one feasible weakness. We only had three ice screws with us, so climbing the 100’ vertical ice wall was out of the question. We ultimately decided to cross via a committing jump to solid ice, then a ramp through the remainder of the ‘schrund to safer ground above.

Above us was the final snow slope to the summit. It is very exposed, and the hard snow made it feel pretty serious. The consistency of the snow made it such that ice screws wouldn’t hold.. it might have held vertical pickets, but we didn’t have any. Looking up, we saw some pretty solid-looking rock on the summit tower. We decided to check it out, and I’m glad we did. Two low to mid-fifth solid rock pitches allowed us to bypass the exposed, icy snow-shield finish.

Standing on the summit for the fourth time was just like standing on it for the first time. The views never get ordinary or mundane. Daniel was pretty stoked as well. The smoke from the wildfires filled the valleys with a haze that made for some pretty great photography. We enjoyed the views and t-shirt weather (in October??) for about an hour, before finally deciding to begin the long, arduous descent to the parking lot. We got back to CJ Col in a little less than 2 hours from the summit, then made the long ascent to Doug’s direct. We took our time descending back to the pass, and eventually the parking lot, and savored every last bit of daylight this October Sunday could muster up. We arrived back at the parking lot around 6PM, staring up at Johannesburg in amazement. I am happy to have had the opportunity to bond with this special place again, and for the good times my friend Daniel and I were able to share.

IMG_2089.JPG

Downclimbing into the moat at the base of the NE Buttress.

IMG_2094.JPG

Looking up ahead.

IMG_2098.JPG

Daniel climbing on the lower buttress.

IMG_2099.JPG

Vertical brush.

IMG_2100.JPG

Looking up towards Cascade Peak and the C-J Col.

IMG_2103.JPG

Welcome to the jungle.

IMG_2113.JPG

Daniel around mid-buttress.

IMG_2117.JPG

Daniel high on the NE Buttress. That is the Cascade Pass parking lot down there.

IMG_2120.JPG

Typical scrambling on the upper buttress.

IMG_2122.JPG

Daniel on the 5.8 pitch.

IMG_2125.JPG

Daniel coiling the rope after the 5.8 pitch.

IMG_2127.JPG

Approaching the bivy site.

IMG_2129.JPG

The bivy at sunset.

IMG_2140.JPG

Good morning!

IMG_2142.JPG

Eldorado at dawn.

IMG_2144.JPG

Hidden Lake Peaks and Mt. Baker.

IMG_2152.JPG

Beginning the ascent of the snow arete.

IMG_2158.JPG

On the arete.

IMG_2160.JPG

Daniel enjoying the views.

IMG_2164.JPG

The upper Sill Glacier.

IMG_2167.JPG

Towards Cascade Pass.

IMG_2170.JPG

Just below the bergschrund.

IMG_2175.JPG

Looking back at the arete.

IMG_2178.JPG

Daniel and the giant bergschrund.

IMG_2181.JPG

Jumping into the 'schrund.

IMG_2190.JPG

Climbing out of the 'schrund.

IMG_2192.JPG

Looking over towards the final snow shield.

IMG_2197.JPG

Forbidden, Boston, Sahale, Buckner.

IMG_2200.JPG

Daniel at the base of the summit tower.

IMG_2202.JPG

Starting up the last two pitches.

IMG_2203.JPG

The first of the final two pitches.

IMG_2207.JPG

On the summit.

IMG_2210.JPG

Formidable, Dome, Glacier.

IMG_2220.JPG

Looking east.

IMG_2229.JPG

Daniel on the summit of Johannesburg.

IMG_2237.JPG

Starting the descent.

IMG_2244.JPG

Typical scrambling on the descent.

IMG_2248.JPG

Spider, Formidable, and the Middle Cascade Glacier.

IMG_2254.JPG

Daniel enjoying the views.

IMG_2268.JPG

Looking back at Johannesburg from the top of Doug's Direct.

IMG_2269.JPG

Pelton, Magic, and Hurry-Up.

• Like 1

Awesome! What a great couple of days it was! My party arrived at the cascade pass parking area about 10:45, i had been talkin up J-burg and was pointing out the line - its too bad we didn't look a little closer! Soo sick

My party is probably in your 3rd or 4th to last shot, we attempted formidable but (as the 10:45 start might suggest) we got a super late start and had a delay along the way putting us at Kool-aid lake, not Spider/Formidable col. We ended up making the trek to the Middle Cascade Glacier and getting onto the N ridge of Spider for some views. Tough to beat!

Catch the Northern Lights at all?

Thanks guys.

@Marko.. I thought about it in Winter, but remembered yours and Colin's TR from several years back (2001?).. one of the most inspiring trip reports I've ever read. It would take some pretty bomber conditions. I would entertain the thought if solid conditions and partners materialized.

Thanks guys.

@Marko.. I thought about it in Winter, but remembered yours and Colin's TR from several years back (2001?).. one of the most inspiring trip reports I've ever read. It would take some pretty bomber conditions. I would entertain the thought if solid conditions and partners materialized.

:wave: that same tr is what got me to take oleg up on a winter creep years back - would love to seal the deal...

Yeah, we couldn't find the magic thread that Steph and I spotted. I have it figured out now.. we needed to gain the crest about 200' lower.

You can skip that pitch by rapping into the gully to the right. I don't know if you'd have found any snow still in it at this time of year, but I don't think the rock in there was particularly chossy, and you still come out right at the snow arete. Seems like someone had a TR this year where they went that way.

Nice TR. Great photos.

Nice work Tom! Your propensity for suffering abounds! Dallas would be proud; he had seven summits on J-Berg. His TR on the seventh ascent .

Checked out that website. I think I've climbed more routes than anyone on that hill.

The three pitch overhanging headwall close to the lot tantalizes the sport climber. I wonder how much a Bosch would echo....troll.

Nice work Jens!

When you climb J-Berg at the same age Dallas last did please contact: The Choss Dog Millionaires LLC and apply for the Ultimate Lifetime J-Berg Achievement award.

You may want to check the rules, I think use of a drill is reason for dismissal.

Extra points for climbing in woolen knickers and collecting social security