I AM THE 17% (AND SO CAN YOU!!!)

ivan

We'll see.

Submitted by NORML on Jan 4, 2012

A new poll in Washington state shows that voters are evenly split on the question of legalizing marijuana for all adults. We told you that Washington state will have at least one legalization ballot measure in November, so the polling on this question among voters is just beginning and will probably continue throughout the election cycle.

The poll published today was the Elway Research Poll, that asked 411 randomly selected voters about legalization this way, “Washington voters may be asked this fall to vote on an initiative to legalize marijuana in Washington state. As things stand today, how are you inclined to vote on that measure?” 48 percent said they would vote yes, with 45 percent saying they would vote no. The margin of error is five percentage points, putting the results at a possible tie.

Back in July, the Elway poll had a more general question about legalizing marijuana, and 54 percent of the voters expressed support then. The pollsters says that initiative sponsors should be concerned because typically undecided voters of initiatives usually end up voting no.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Agree that the association between moderate alcohol consumption is likely to be debunked over time, since it's basically a marker for impulse control, eduction, income, etc.

"A British analysis of 12,000 male physicians found that moderate drinkers had the lowest risk of death from all causes during the 13 year study."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2541157/

Interesting in that it seems to weed out the income, education, and access to care as confounding variables but still falls short of causation. Could be causal, but I don't think that we have enough data to connect the dots yet and I'm still skeptical.

Actually, a lot of it had to do with switching over from the idea of 'losing' something to 'gaining' something. Before I quit it was all about giving something up. Afterwards I quickly realized how much more time, energy, and money I had, and how much better I felt in general. Even a beer kind of kills my evening's motivation. No hangovers, no wasted mornings, no worries about driving, health effects, "should I have another beer or not"? blah blah. Alcohol's considered a stress reducer. I think it causes way more stress than it relieves. It's fucking hard on the body, too, even in small amounts. An old coot like me needs all the help his sorry ass can get.

And that's all yer gonna get.

Fire away. You've got your target.

Not from me. It is something I believe we've all wrestled with and I was just kind of curious about "le crap".

I don't doubt the info Mr. Frieh posted but it seems a little subjective for my pea brain to relate to. Here's some fun facts:

Say a 175lb guy drinks one half bottle (two six oz glasses) of red wine each night which is moderate by most standards. That's about 250 calories which takes approximately 25 minutes of running at 5mph for that guy to burn off. Seems counterproductive for most athletes.

Say that guy spends $10/bottle for the wine. That's $1,825.00 per year or $152/month. If that guy's spouse consumes the same amount, it's $3,650/year. What else could one do with that money? A week in Maui right now sounds pretty nice.

One doesn’t have to be a heavy drinker for it to negatively impact the quality of life. Yet, most of us (myself included) chug away regardless of the outcome. Kind of strange. Like having 1000 channels of stuff on TV with nothing compelling to watch but continuing to channel surf. I'm as guilty as anyone.

That's the "crap" that ruminates around my middle-aged head (and gut). Am I going to do anything about it besides anonymously complaining on the internet? With my 40th birthday around the corner, I just might.

I take the savings I've realized from foregoing haircuts, cutting back to one bottle of shampoo every two years, and all hair-styling products into micros.

Yes, alcohol is bad for you. So is breathing polluted air, sugar, smoking, promiscuous sex, too much exercise, coffee, not wearing seat belts, jearkin off, fast food, on and on. It ALL causes cancer and premature death, "they" told me so. However, I personally believe some people are more genetically disposed to handle alcohol better than others. I've known quite a few crotchety old farts who drank and smoked like Satan himself well into their 80's or 90's and yet seemed to be in great shape and very active for their age anyway. Sure, perhaps they would have lasted another 10 years without the smoking (more so than the drinking) but their bodies seem to process the crap better than others. Take someone like Ivan, who was prolly weened on a jug of cheap scotch, he'll be drunk as a monkey till he's 100 if'n he don't off himself clambering around the hills. Just sayin... :brew:

We know voters are evenly split now. We've worked hard to achieve that. That's a GOOD thing. We haven't begun our REAL public information campaign yet, and our past experience is that will effectively turn a whole lot more folks. I've turned audience after audience and individual after individual...once they know the grim facts.

Our arguments work. We know that.

What's the other side got? Nothing in the way of facts, so we'll have to deal with a standard misinformation campaign.

BTW, we're not quite sure who the 'other side' will be. Nobody's stepped up yet.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Yes, alcohol is bad for you. So is breathing polluted air, sugar, smoking, promiscuous sex, too much exercise, coffee, not wearing seat belts, jearkin off, fast food, on and on. It ALL causes cancer and premature death, "they" told me so. However, I personally believe some people are more genetically disposed to handle alcohol better than others. I've know quite a few crotchety old farts who drank and smoked like Satan himself well into their 80's or 90's and yet seemed to be in great shape and very active for their age anyway. Sure, perhaps they would have lasted another 10 years without the smoking (more so than the drinking) but their bodies seem to process the crap better than others. Take someone like Ivan, who was prolly weened on a jug of cheap scotch, he'll be drunk as a monkey till he's 100 if'n he don't off himself clambering around the hills. Just sayin... :brew:

Big as he is, Ivan can hold his red wine. I've never seen him actually drunk. Cheerful, perhaps.

You, on the other hand...hmmmmm. Last time I saw you you could barely stand and seemed to be speaking some form of Wookie pidgeon. I haven't seen anyone that shitfaced since high school. Fortunately, you passed out before you could attempt to drive home. It didn't dumb you down much from ambient, but still.

That's your call, of course. It's your life.

But if you're telling yourself that your lifestyle choices will have no effect on your health, well being, and eventual longevity...yeah.

We're all just biochemical machines. There's no magic in it. Garbage in, garbage out. You don't have a lot of smarts to spare, so....

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Yes, alcohol is bad for you. So is breathing polluted air, sugar, smoking, promiscuous sex, too much exercise, coffee, not wearing seat belts, jearkin off, fast food, on and on. It ALL causes cancer and premature death, "they" told me so. However, I personally believe some people are more genetically disposed to handle alcohol better than others. I've know quite a few crotchety old farts who drank and smoked like Satan himself well into their 80's or 90's and yet seemed to be in great shape and very active for their age anyway. Sure, perhaps they would have lasted another 10 years without the smoking (more so than the drinking) but their bodies seem to process the crap better than others. Take someone like Ivan, who was prolly weened on a jug of cheap scotch, he'll be drunk as a monkey till he's 100 if'n he don't off himself clambering around the hills. Just sayin... :brew:

Big as he is, Ivan can hold his red wine. I've never seen him actually drunk. Cheerful, perhaps.

You, on the other hand...hmmmmm. Last time I saw you you could barely stand and seemed to be speaking some form of Wookie pidgeon. I haven't seen anyone that shitfaced since high school. Fortunately, you passed out before you could attempt to drive home. It didn't dumb you down much from ambient, but still.

But if you're telling yourself that your lifestyle choices will have no effect on your health, well being, and eventual longevity...yeah.

We're all just biochemical machines. There's no magic in it. Garbage in, garbage out. You don't have a lot of smarts to spare, so....

Yeah, I was drunk cause I did not plan to drive home.

Not saying I disagree w the garbage in garbage out. Just saying some seem to be lucky enough to have it bred into their system to tolerate some garbage better than others. I've seen and been plenty drunk w Ivan, too. He does seem to have the Irish drink'n gene.

Statistically, 5% of folks who self identify alcohol as a problem in their lives and decide to quit never drink again. 30% drink a bit more before quitting for good. 30% go on and off for the rest of their lives. 25% will continue to drink themselves to death.
I admittedly fall into the on and off category. Thinking about going off again but not this week. Cheers! :brew:

Not saying I disagree w the garbage in garbage out. Just saying some seem to be lucky enough to have it bred into their system to tolerate some garbage better than others. I've seen and been plenty drunk w Ivan, too. He does seem to have the Irish drink'n gene.

If I was you, I'd focus whats on your own plate. Trust me, I know one when I see one.

Drunk stalker.

Not pretty.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

"Observe due measure; moderation is best in all things" - Hesiod

"A man when he is drunken is led by a beardless youth, stumbling, ignorant where he is going, having a wet soul." and "It is better to conceal ignorance, but it is hard to do so in relaxation and over wine." - Heraclitus.

Alcohol suppresses fat metabolism. Whether calories from alcohol replace dietary calories or are added to normal caloric intake, alcohol suppresses fat metabolism by up to 30%.

Alcohol occupies the liver so estrogen (produced in the body to balance testosterone production) cannot be processed so the two hormones "negate" each other.

Alcohol depresses testosterone secretion. Exercise prior to alcohol intake can make the negative effects on testosterone secretion last longer by "direct inhibition at the testicular level."

Alcohol increases secretion of cortisol, which is catabolic. This may be one factor in alcohol-induced testosterone depression. Increased cortisol and decreased testosterone lasts up to 24 hours after drinking alcohol.

Alcohol can depress nighttime HGH secretion by up to 70% (due to sleep disruption)

Alcohol interferes with post-exercise glycogen synthesis

Alcohol increases calcium excretion, which may reduce bone density, and magnesium, a mineral essential to energy production

Alcohol is an appetizer, and impairs judgment so bad food choices are often made in the presence of alcohol

Alcohol irritates the GI tract and this may have a negative effect on nutrient absorption

Alcohol has a diuretic effect, so it is dehydrating.

What amount is required for all these effects to occur? 1 drink a day? 2? More?

Exactly - the least the original author could do is post a titration curve that shows how much exercise is required to negate each unit of alcohol.

KK and JayB: if you guys are interested shoot me an email or a PM.

If I was you, I'd focus whats on your own plate. Trust me, I know one when I see one.

Drunk stalker.

Not pretty.

That was the first time I met you and I think I said very few words directly to you. Your impression of me is limited to a rare night away from home within a day or three of my divorce. Not to spill my life drama here in spray, but hardly a prime example of me in "good form".

If I was gonna stock sumpin, it would be cougars. :P

I did find an interesting link about the subject Internet Cougar Stalker Finds Real Life Asscandle

[video:youtube]

Bottom line, Trashie, I'm try'n to help you. It's like, you can really tell who your friends are if they tell you have a big bugger hang'n out yer nose. IE, the big bugger is you are such an asscandlehole. Were just try'n to help you see the light and wipe that bugger off. Really.

Bottom line, Trashie, I'm try'n to help you. It's like, you can really tell who your friends are if they tell you have a big bugger hang'n out yer nose. IE, the big bugger is you are such an asscandlehole. Were just try'n to help you see the light and wipe that bugger off. Really.

Just curious, does anyone happen to agree?

Dave, you're a good person and all, but take the high road here. Trash has stopped drinking and is trying mostly trying to not be a nasty mean spirited assed prick to about everyone all the time. I don't think he's a bad person underneath that exterior and we should help him if we can.

High road sir, high road.

Regards to all

KK and JayB: if you guys are interested shoot me an email or a PM.

Put me on that list too if you don't mind John.