Snow & Spire

John_Scurlock

Dear Friends,

I sent an email out on this earlier, and am now posting here as well. One of the first big things with my photography was when it was noticed on cc dot com back in 2004 or 2005. I'm truly indebted to all of you here, my good & loyal friends.

As some of you know, in conjunction with Wolverine Publishing, I have been working on producing a coffee-table book of winter photographs of the North Cascades. It is with great pleasure, along with deep appreciation to my many friends who have helped on this, to let you know that the book, 'Snow & Spire: Flights to Winter in the North Cascade Range', will be published in early November. It has been a long and interesting project, and I'm excited about the chance to hold an actual copy in my hands.

Here's Wolverine's web page on it: http://www.wolverinepublishing.com/Snow_and_Spire - you will see some sample images as well a pdf preview which you can download.

Several folks were instrumental in their help, including Lowell Skoog, Dave Tucker, Dave Pegg of Wolverine, designer McKenzie Long, and Carolyn Waters (of NCNP). Jason Hummel and Steph Abegg kindly contributed photographs for the essay portions. Matt Samet, who I inadvertently omitted in my email, was my editor, and I'm very grateful for his efforts. I can't thank everyone here but hopefully didn't miss anyone in the Acknowledgments section. Anyway, thanks to all of you who have inspired me and I hope you find it an enjoyable and worthwhile book.

with my very best wishes,

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could we order an autographed copy from you, as a cc.com perk? Full price, of course.

I'd be glad to do that, yes. Contact me via email, nolock at wildblue dot net, I will have copies of my own to distribute but bear in mind that I'm not exactly set up to distribute.

Wayne, one of the criteria for image selection was 'did Wayne or could Wayne climb this?' If yes, it was in. Simple, really. Thus you will see a lot of really hard stuff and no cliches. Seriously, the no cliche thing was really important to me.

I'm going to do some Seattle events this winter, Northwest Snow & Avalanche Summit on November 13, Washington Ski Touring Club in early January. Also the Methow Conservancy in Twisp at the brew pub on Dec. 13. Hope I get to see some of you at these.

Edited by John_Scurlock

• 2 months later...

I was honored to be able to contribute to John's book by writing a historical essay on winter climbing and ski mountaineering in the North Cascades. Now that the book is out, I've posted an online version of the essay on my website. You can find it here:

http://alpenglow.org/themes/ncascade-winter/index.html

This version includes digital "woodcuts" by artist Don Smith which were omitted from the book. It also includes the complete chronology of Cascade winter climbs (including climbs outside the North Cascades) that I used in my research and writing. If anyone finds errors or omissions from the chronology, let me know and I can correct the online version.

There is rather a lot missing north of the border...

Certainly possible. I relied on the Beckey guides for that section (and NWMJ for more recent climbs). Where would you recommend looking for more information on winter climbs between the border and the Fraser River? Or can you provide more information directly?

I will be advertising it officially in a couple weeks, but I wanted to give folks a heads up that John and Steph Abegg will be doing a tag team presentation at the Skagit Alpine Club on Feb 7th (Burlington Public Library, 7pm). He will be mixing it up a bit from his standard book talk, and will be presenting on how the book came about. Steph will round out the program with a presentation on her and John's week doing aerial photography in the Canadian Rockies.

Of course, Snow and Spire will be for sale (and signing), with the proceeds going to benefit SAC. Thanks much John and Steph!!

There is rather a lot missing north of the border...

yes (and you should have left out the "rather a" because simply put it is a lot) and my profound apology for that; it is directly related to the difficulty of getting across the border (as it relates to Dept of Homeland Security) by small plane, including me being busted once in 2008 and a special "invitation" to come in and talk to them... the days of me coming up to Chilliwack for pie and a flight on a whim are in the past, it is still possible but not near as carefree as in the the good old days... in the 2008 episode, they were in a jet and I was in my little plane. That limited their ability to land in Concrete and come running up with weapons drawn. We are on good terms now of course... I phone them when I'm going to be near the border & all's good, they know who I am. It's the crossing that's difficult to do on a moment's notice.

Edited by John_Scurlock

well I guess what it is for me is regret, he and I once did a sensational flight out of Chilliwack, what I need to do I think is move to Chilliwack... There were things I wish I could have included but didn't have the imagery for. In a way it's easier to spend a week such as we did in the Rockies, because increased time gives increased flexibility in terms of weather and the coming and going across the border. There is a close parallel here to climbing trips..I do understand what you are saying though, but bottom line is Lowell's contribution was monumental and pivotal to the book.