Greeks Bearing Gifts....

JayB

I find it fascinating that a self-described champion of individual liberty could applaud this decision:

did he applaud it, or just list it as an example of scotus' willingness to support a use of the commerce clause consistent w/ kk's demand for concrete proposals to deal w/ income inequality? :crazy:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but hey! let's keep going after the fat cat bus driver/teacher/nurse ...

Or, maybe, these guys:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/soundinfo/statesalaries/?appSession=334143084561169&RecordID=&PageID=2&PrevPageID=1&cpipage=1&CPISortType=&CPIorderBy=

University of Washington SARKISIAN, STEPHEN A COACH-FOOTBALL $1,982,918

University of Washington ROMAR, LORENZO COACH-BASKETBALL $1,147,050

Washington State University BONE, KEN HEAD BASKETBALL COACH $746,416

University of Washington HOLT V, NICHOLAS ASSISTANT COACH-FOOTBALL $652,229

Washington State University FLOYD, ELSON PRESIDENT $625,000

Washington State University WULFF, PAUL L HEAD FOOTBALL COACH $551,670

University of Washington WOODWARD, DAVID SCOTT ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT $550,008

University of Washington SEKHAR, LALIGAM N PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $547,980

University of Washington REYES, JORGE DIONISIO PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $521,304

University of Washington MILLER, DONALD W PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $516,552

University of Washington SPISSO, JOHNESE M. VICE PRESIDENT $515,196

University of Washington EMMERT, MARK A PRESIDENT $492,178

University of Washington FERGUSON, KEITH R PROFESSIONAL STAFF - CONTRACT P3 $473,000

University of Washington REISTAD, GARTH K PROFESSIONAL STAFF - CONTRACT P3 $441,750

University of Washington MURRAY, CHRISTOPHER J PROFESSOR $441,192

University of Washington JIAMBALVO, JAMES DEAN $436,248

University of Washington PELLEGRINI, CARLOS A. CHAIR $429,912

University of Washington MAIER, RONALD V PROFESSOR $421,392

Washington State University BAYLY, WARWICK M PROVOST & EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT $382,057

University of Washington VERRIER, EDWARD D. PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $381,120

University of Washington NELIGAN, PETER CAMILLUS PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $378,636

University of Washington JURKOVICH, GREGORY J. PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $376,680

University of Washington FERGUSON, BRUCE ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT/PROVOST $373,632

University of Washington MORTON, THOMAS H PROFESSOR $372,331

University of Washington MAHAN, RUTH M. DIRECTOR $370,272

University of Washington HOLMES, KING K. PROFESSOR $369,756

University of Washington ODA, DOLPHINE PROFESSOR $366,619

University of Washington ZIENIEWICZ, STEPHEN P DIRECTOR $359,436

University of Washington KRAVAS, CONSTANCE VICE PRESIDENT $353,064

University of Washington WHALEN, EILEEN DIRECTOR $352,008

University of Washington TESTY, KELLYE DEAN $352,008

University of Washington SALMON, MARLA E DEAN $337,008

University of Washington O'DONNELL, MATTHEW DEAN $336,768

University of Washington BURGSTAHLER, DAVID C PROFESSOR $336,734

University of Washington MULLIGAN, MICHAEL S PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $335,940

University of Washington VEDDER, NICHOLAS PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $335,004

University of Washington SOMERMAN, MARTHA J DEAN $330,948

Washington State University BOSE, ANJAN REGENTS' PROFESSOR $329,908

University of Washington HUNTSMAN, LEE L PROFESSOR $329,172

University of Washington KLEIN, MATTHEW B. ASSOC PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $323,904

The Evergreen State College PURCE, THOMAS LESLIE PRESIDENT $318,533

University of Washington HARFORD, JARRAD PROFESSOR $318,033

University of Washington AVOLIO, BRUCE PROFESSOR $316,444

University of Washington WISE, PHYLLIS M PROVOST $316,422

University of Washington ROBINSON, LAWRENCE R. ASSOCIATE DEAN $316,284

University of Washington BRANSFORD, JOHN D PROFESSOR $315,984

University of Washington KUHL, PATRICIA K PROFESSOR $315,967

University of Washington MITCHELL, LORI HOSPITAL-ASSOCIATE ADMINISTRATOR SENIOR $315,722

University of Washington CAUCE, ANA MARI DEAN $315,000

University of Washington WARREN, V'ELLA A. SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT $313,500

University of Washington SHEVLIN, TERRENCE J PROFESSOR $309,696

University of Washington HURST, STANLEY L. CLINICAL PROFESSOR-SALARIED $309,063

University of Washington WOOD, DOUGLAS E. PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $305,140

Washington State University ROYER, GREG SPECIAL ASSISTANT $304,200

University of Washington STEENSMA, HARVEY K. PROFESSOR $303,938

State Investment Board BRUEBAKER, GARY CHIEF INVESTMENT OFFICER $303,582

Central Washington University GAUDINO, JAMES LAWRENCE PRESIDENT $302,850

University of Washington COZZETTO, DANIEL KAY ASSISTANT COACH-FOOTBALL $302,435

University of Washington BULGER, EILEEN PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $301,800

Washington State University VALACICH, JOSEPH S PROFESSOR $301,461

University of Washington ELLENBOGEN, RICHARD G. PROFESSOR $300,012

University of Washington HIMMELFARB, JONATHAN PROFESSOR $300,000

Western Washington University SHEPARD, WILLIAM BRUCE PRESIDENT $300,000

University of Washington BAILLIE, THOMAS A DEAN $300,000

University of Washington NUSSMEIER, DOUG K. ASSISTANT COACH-FOOTBALL $299,687

University of Washington CATTERALL, WILLIAM A PROFESSOR $299,232

University of Washington LEE, THOMAS W PROFESSOR $294,204

University of Washington BOWEN, ROBERT M PROFESSOR $291,351

Washington State University MOOS, WILLIAM H DIRECTOR $291,284

University of Washington BOEKER, WARREN PROFESSOR $290,659

University of Washington DAVIS, JAMES E PROFESSOR $290,457

University of Washington SEFCIK, STEPHAN E PROFESSOR $290,249

University of Washington KHANNA, PARITOSH C ASST PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $289,080

University of Washington ISHAK, GISELE ELIAS ASST PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $289,080

Dept of Social and Health Services EPISTOLA, ROSA F PSYCHIATRIST 4 $289,073

University of Washington EISENBERG, MICKEY PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $288,576

University of Washington MCLAUGHLIN, JAMES COACH $288,061

University of Washington ISHIZUKA, PAUL S. HOSPITAL-ASSOCIATE ADMINISTRATOR SENIOR $287,437

University of Washington MILLER, SAMUEL I PROFESSOR $286,392

University of Washington CATALANO, RICHARD F PROFESSOR $285,792

University of Washington SHANKLAND, STUART J. PROFESSOR $285,312

University of Washington DAVIES, SCOTT A PROFESSIONAL STAFF - CONTRACT P3 $285,004

University of Washington RAMIREZ, JAN M PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $285,000

University of Washington DISIS, MARY L. PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $283,548

University of Washington FLEMMIG, THOMAS F. PROFESSOR $281,885

University of Washington GIBRAN, NICOLE PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $280,236

University of Washington CHEN, XIAO-PING PROFESSOR $280,023

University of Washington STERN, SUSAN A PROFESSOR $280,008

University of Washington MCAULIFFE, DAVID STEPHEN PROFESSIONAL STAFF - CONTRACT P3 $280,004

University of Washington ARTRU, ALAN A PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $279,072

Dept of Social and Health Services PAREDES, DANIEL R PSYCHIATRIST 4 $278,669

University of Washington CHAIT, ALAN PROFESSOR $278,532

University of Washington GLENNY, ROBB PROFESSOR $277,793

University of Washington STARNES, BENJAMIN WARE ASSOC PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $277,572

University of Washington RUBEL, EDWIN W. PROFESSOR $276,900

Washington State University SPANGENBERG, ERIC RICHARD DEAN AND PROFESSOR $276,303

University of Washington HECKER, CYNTHIA J HOSPITAL-ASSOCIATE ADMINISTRATOR $275,004

University of Washington JAMISON, DEAN T PROFESSOR $275,004

Dept of Social and Health Services KHAN, RANA M Z PSYCHIATRIST 4 $274,670

University of Washington DEVINE, DONNA R. SOM DIRECTOR - CLINICAL DEPARTMENT $274,552

University of Washington HALLAM, DANIAL K. ASSOC PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $274,416

University of Washington MELTZOFF, ANDREW N PROFESSOR $273,508

University of Washington ELMAN, SANDRA E. DIRECTOR $273,333

University of Washington KORNBERG, MINDY VICE PRESIDENT $272,880

University of Washington ABRASS, ITAMAR B. PROFESSOR $271,920

University of Washington COHEN, WENDY PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $271,424

University of Washington FOY, HUGH M PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $271,032

Dept of Social and Health Services SIMANGAN, MARIO D PSYCHIATRIST 4 $271,015

University of Washington JACKSON, TIA S COACH - WOMEN'S BASKETBALL $270,747

University of Washington CHAPMAN, RICHARD ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT $270,408

University of Washington FROEHNER, STANLEY C PROFESSOR $270,240

Washington State University GARDNER, JOHN C VICE PRESIDENT $270,014

University of Washington SANGEORZAN, BRUCE J. PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $269,045

University of Washington SIMMEN, JEFFREY A. DIRECTOR $268,618

University of Washington GRAY, TERENCE E ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT $267,097

University of Washington HODGE, FRANK D ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR $266,714

University of Washington ANAWALT, BRADLEY D PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $266,016

University of Washington GURALNICK, MICHAEL J DIRECTOR $265,140

Washington State University MURALI, VIJI VICE PRES FOR INFO SVCS & CHIEF INFO OFFICER $265,018

University of Washington HORVATH, KAREN D. PROFESSOR WITHOUT TENURE $264,876

University of Washington SAUNDERS, MICHAEL D. CLINICAL ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR-SALARIED $264,828

University of Washington KING, BRYAN PROFESSOR $264,631

University of Washington UNUTZER, JURGEN PROFESSOR $264,456

University of Washington BEIRNE, OWEN ROSS PROFESSOR $263,516

University of Washington KERRIGAN, MARGARET A. HOSPITAL-ASSOCIATE ADMINISTRATOR $263,482

and so it goes...

The bummer is that leveling down ("my benefits, wage, and pension package sucks and is getting suckier by the year, we should make everybody else's suck as bad as mine") has become the conditioned response...
Sounds like the basic premise behind the concept of "redistribution of wealth" to me...

From actor Michael Caine's autobiography, "What's It All About?" (1992):

[P]olitics entered into my life [in my late teens] in an unusual and exciting way. Coming out of the club one evening [in the early 1950s] I was surprised to find myself surrounded by a bevy of very attractive . . . older women, about twenty or twenty-two years old. They were offering leaflets. I took one and one of the girls said mysteriously: "Read it and let us know if you're interested. We'll be back tomorrow night." What exciting proposition could this be, I thought as I walked home reading the leaflet.

From what I could make out I was being asked to join something called Young Communists. I knew it was a political party, I also knew that they were very keen on it in Russia and that it had been invented by someone called Marx. I knew the Marx Brothers from the movies so at least, I thought, it might be amusing. The leaflet went on to something really interesting: there was going to be a redistribution of wealth. I could not believe my luck! If they were going to do that, my family and I would have to come out ahead. The clincher for me, was that Communists believed in free love. I couldn't credit that I'd found a political party that offered wealth and love: my two absorbing passions.

I couldn't wait to get out of the club the next evening to meet the group of girls. I had a good look at them and picked the one that I wanted to have free love with the most. "I want to join," I said. "Wonderful," she replied and dragged me off to a small dingy office a couple of streets away. "He wants to join," she announced and then she disappeared. I was left standing in a room with four men, all doing smile impersonations.

I was instantly suspicious. Remembering what my father had told me about spotting untrustworthy men, I had hit the jackpot here. Two of them had beards, one was wearing sandals and another one had a bow tie. The only thing missing were the two-toned shoes. The object of my free love had disappeared and here I was with a group of guys who obviously so far had not done very well in the redistribution of wealth by the look of them. One of them put a form on the desk in front of me and told me to sign it and pay over my subscription of five shillings. I saw at once what a mistake I had made: the distribution of wealth was to be mine to them, not the other way around. I fledand a lingering suspicion of Communism has remained planted in my mind forever.

didn't that guy star as THE example of all that's wrong w/ capitalism? :)

dirty-rotten-scoundrels-tope-10-films-by-genre1.jpg

I think the Governor has nothing but bad options.

The state's running out of money/credit. Cutting education and other services will screw over a lot of people. Yeah they will cut employees and services no matter what, but they can only cut so many without causing a revolt.

To generate revenue they have to get it somewhere. State Income Tax is off the table, so now they're back to raising sales tax.

Yes Sales tax is regressive. The governor is putting it up for a vote. I don't really care for any option but we have to pick one.

Don't worry if the hype is correct about the Mayan it'll only suck for the next 12 months

[img:center]http://www.december2012endofworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2012-the-end-of-the-world-291x300.jpg[/img]

I find it fascinating that a self-described champion of individual liberty could applaud this decision:

did he applaud it, or just list it as an example of scotus' willingness to support a use of the commerce clause consistent w/ kk's demand for concrete proposals to deal w/ income inequality? :crazy:

I already knew all that SCOTUS stuff, but hey, now JayB does, too!

What can I say? I just really feel strongly about the potential evils of home grown wheat....

The state's running out of money/credit. Cutting education and other services will screw over a lot of people.

Education? Did you look at the list of top-paid state employees?

How much does a top neurosurgeon earn in the private sector? or do you feel we can staff one of the top medical program in the country with those who perform near the bottom of their class?

Are you a troll?

The state's running out of money/credit. Cutting education and other services will screw over a lot of people.

How much does a top neurosurgeon earn in the private sector? or do you feel we can staff one of the top medical program in the country with those who perform near the bottom of their class?

Are you a troll?

So, let me see if I have this right: You want public salaries to be determined by the market, but you want private salaries to be determined/regulated by government. Wow, you are a real piece of work. In any event, the vast majority of the salaries on that list are non-medical profs with no tenure who are the recipients of higher-ed monopolistic practices. You don't believe in institutional collusion do you? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm off to W-O-R-K. (You should try it!)

Edited by Fairweather

Fairweather's got a point though; clearly the best way to make this state more successful is to cut spending on education so that people like Tim Eyeman and Kemper Freeman don't have to pay more in taxes.

They're the job creators.

Or- maybe that's what these people are paid because it's (get this) a competitive market for top level professionals in this profession. These are hardly union stiffs he's referring to.

So, let me see if I have this right: You want public salaries to be determined by the market, but you want private salaries to be determined/regulated by government. Wow, you are a real piece of work. In any event, the vast majority of the salaries on that list are non-medical profs with no tenure who are the recipients of higher-ed monopolistic practices. You don't believe in institutional collusion do you? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm off to W-O-R-K. (You should try it!)

Contrarily to you I am not a dogmatist and a combination of market and regulatory discretion to decide on wages seems adequate to me. I challenge you to show that those non-tenure profs aren't mostly medical professionals (or some other high earning profession) but I am not holding my breath considering your demonstrated lack of intellectual honesty.

Edited by j_b

[

So, let me see if I have this right: You want public salaries to be determined by the market, but you want private salaries to be determined/regulated by government. Wow, you are a real piece of work.

j_bot regularly exhibits his two-faced inconsistencies, claiming to stand for one thing as he bashes capitalism and the private sector in one breath, while using the same practices as an excuse to rationalize what occurs in the public sector in the very next breath.

[

University of Washington SARKISIAN, STEPHEN A COACH-FOOTBALL $1,982,918

University of Washington ROMAR, LORENZO COACH-BASKETBALL $1,147,050

Washington State University BONE, KEN HEAD BASKETBALL COACH $746,416

University of Washington HOLT V, NICHOLAS ASSISTANT COACH-FOOTBALL $652,229

Again and again we hear about how much money Division I sports programs bring in to a school, but fuck it sure costs a lot to run those programs, now doesn't it.

Why again are education costs going through the roof? Never mind, no matter, j_bot and prole will just make it "free".

j_bot regularly exhibits his two-faced inconsistencies, claiming to stand for one thing as he bashes capitalism and the private sector in one breath, while using the same practices as an excuse to rationalize what occurs in the public sector in the very next breath.

It's the continual parade of the troll brigade. First, I don't bash capitalism, I bash unfettered capitalism and corporatism. Second, contrarily to you morons, I know that if we want a quality public service, public employee wages can't be too far out of whack with wages for comparable occupations in the private sector. As said many times already, public employee wages are already on average lower than in the private sector for equivalent professions. I know that you morons wouldn't like anything better than our prized public institutions to commit harakiri for the sake of your free market fundamentalism but excuse me for not falling for your rank stupidity.

I'll repeat my answer, and that is yes.

But similarly, other than you, I haven't heard any suggestions for dealing with the current state budget realities and timeframe. Apparantly it's below some academic threshold, I suppose.

What's below the academic threshold is pretending that us talking about spending cuts all day is going to force politicians to do their job, which includes campaigning for quality public services (that also depend on public employee compensation) and a slew of other actions like putting the unconstitutional supermajority nonsense in front of the state supreme court or cutting corporate tax breaks for outsourcers (and insourcers like Boeing), etc ..