FUCK YOU KEN SCHRAM!!!

jon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahh to have such a public pulpit from which to spray! You know how it goes, some people are assholes and some people are okay. Membership in any sub-culture or demographic does not prevent you from being an asshole. Sure, its a sliding scale with a lot of gray area, and we all can fluctuate on our position on that scale on a day to day basis, but it works for me as a worldview. Its been a long time since I thought that someone was automatically okay just because they were a climber. And yes, some cyclists are assholes who want the "rights" of being a vehicle without being constrained by the "rules." Guess I'm just agreeing with Lizard Brain in my typically verbose manner...

Lets all slam those bike riding bastards. Just yesterday I was flipped off while driving to work because rather than wait for a bicyclist who insisted on taking up an entire lane, I swerved over the yellow line so I could get by. I suppose he may have been thinking that he was riding within his rights and I was just being impatient, but I was careful to give him wide berth and I did not endanger him in any way. And later in the block he crossed into the oncoming lane and jumped a curb anyway. Those bike riding bastards are just like all those other guys who think they can get the jump on me at a 4-way stop sign. Damn.

re: bicycling

dear dickhead,

as a bicyclist who rides to work year round rain or shine i can honestly tell you that if i obeyed all the traffic laws i'd be dead in two weeks. you learn pretty how to get where you're going and stay alive at the same time.

it gives me great pleasure to delay your fat motor driven ass.

oh yeah somebody named jon sent me.

up yours,

greg mueller

[big Drink]

is a bike a street legal vehicle? Do you demand rights on the road? Then you should share in the responsibility for following the rules of the road you demand the use of.

If you you do not want follow the rules enforced on everyone else, your bike should be classed as a toy same as a scooter or pogo stick, and kept off the roadways used by people who have road rules enforced on them.

As bicycles pay no gas tax and gas taxes build the roads, it may be a good idea to levy a tax on cyclists so they can pay their way for the roads they demand to use. This would provide funding from the user group demanding bike lanes.

In addition, since part of the problem of enforcement of traffic laws is identifying cyclists who violate them, upon paying your yearly fee you would be issued a liscense plate suitable for a bike, to be displayed as is normal for road worthy vehicles of all types. This way identification and enforcement would be simplified.

When you've got posters glad they can get in other peoples way, and take joy from making someone elses commute a bit harder, it's an idea that makes sense since it includes a mechanism to enforce whatever laws they are breaking.

OK, OK, so listen to this....

I'm picking up my kid at a day camp at Carkeek Park the other day and the lot is all backed up and totally locked because everyone's gotta wait for their kids to show up (stuff was running late) so they're all double-parked n' shit, some people probably just stopped in the throughway etc... anyway...I found my daughter and I'm walking back through the throughway which is now basically a parking lot with NO WAY OUT and suddenly somebody LEANS on their horn. I tell my daughter in a patronizing tone, "ooo, somebody's impatient". Well, it turns out, unbeknownst to me [i'm usually the biggest dickhead only unintentionally [Roll Eyes] ] the hornleaner is right next to us [Razz] with her window open. Of course, she's already pee'd off, to be honking like that, so now she's probably totally fried and tells me to "mind my own business, or there'll be trouble." Well let me tell you lady, "IT IS MY GODDAMNED BUSINESS when some fool is polluting my soundscape because they're pissed off and need to vent with their big tough loud horn! Oh yeah, I'm sure that leaning on that thing for 10 minutes is really is gonna help get this traffic going. Please think before honking. Unless you can confine your honking to polite little beeps to remind someone that the light does change to green from red, and has done so about 5 seconds ago, then you're ALL getting your horns taken away. That's what I tell my kids dammit!"

I didn't actually say any of that to that lady though. She sounded pissed [Razz]

So anyway UP YOURS KEN SCHRAM...and I'll tell you whut, Andy Rooney can f*ck off too!

Originally posted by jon:

I'M TIRED OF READING YOUR RANTS ABOUT BICYCLISTS YOU FUCKING PRICK. ARE YOU SO HARD UP FOR A STORY THIS IS THE LEVEL OF PROFESSIONALISM THAT YOU STOOP DOWN TOO?

IF YOU ARE A LOCAL CYCLIST SEND THIS GUY AN EMAIL AND TELL HIM TO EAT A FUCKING DICK AND TELL HIM I SENT YOU

I'm glad someelse thinks Ken...headupass..Schram is totaly out of touch with life and real people that jerk has not been pro to anything I enjoy.

Kiss this Ken you loud mouth buttwipe [Moon]

Just hate the idiotic fucks that wont get out of your way and insist on taking up an entire lane instead of let me pass when I am going 20 mph faster than them. If it wasnt illegal there would be a lot of dead bicyclists blood on my tires.

Why do they take on entire roads and insist they own the road. I AM THE ROAD RAGE KING those pricks better learn it too.

I totally agree that cyclists have to follow the same laws as motorized vehicles I'm not arguing that. There are those who ride bikes who don't feel inclined to follow the rules no matter how insignificant the rule is and they should be ticketed just like cars. For instance there is a helmet law in King County yet you still see people riding around, families with kids for that matter, riding without helmets. Not only is it unsafe and outright stupid your breaking a law that is there solely to protect you. These people should get tickets.

Here's the problem. As much as people in Seattle would like to say that it is a bike friendly place it is anything but. The roads suck. There are very few trails or bike lanes and ones like the Burke are of such poor quality in areas it is just unsafe. Additionally the drivers here are assholes. For a city that in general is pretty nice you get these people in a cars and it is like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, people screaming and honking. You can tell all the stories about bikes not yielding or taking up too much road but cars to the same things if not worse and more frequently. Fact is the reason why you see so many angry cyclists out there is because of the drivers out there who not only don't shar the road which is a law, but who puprosely try to endanger you, and they are everywhere. A car cutting in front of another is an accident, a car cutting in front a of a bike can be a life threatening accident.

When Ken Schram writes editorials like this he is targeting a group of people who are very very vulnerable, some who are very dedicated riding everyday in all sorts of weather, because of a few rotten apples. All he is doing is angering more moterists and making it harder on the rest of us who try to abide by the rules.

I spend a lot of time biking to work and I'm all for cyclists' rights, but I get pissed by the guys who screw the rules of the road or who <I>intentionally</I> look for conflict when riding. Case in point, I passed a bike in the bike lane and had to take a right turn. The second I turn on the right blinker, the guy speeds up to make sure if I don't check my blind spot he's gonna wipe into my side door. Of course I saw him since I've been in that spot many times before as a biker (and even waited for his sorry ass to catch back up and pass me) but he still gave the menacing "don't even think about it" stare. decked out in a f'ing mickey mouse lycra jersey, to top it off, and making like he's on the last turn of the Champs-Elysees.

i've pushed my little bicycle to downtown for over three years. And if it rains I take the shame train ... er bus.Cars DO blow. But they have mass AND momentum.Never talk on a cell phone and bike like the flint I saw yesterday!Never trust a car. It Will kill you!

there are a couple reasons why a bike will deliberately take up a lane: to prevent a car making a right turn in front of the bike and potentially cutting him off (a lot of motorists underestimate a bikes speed - it's really dangerous if you are on a bike), or if there isn't enough room (like cars parked and opening doors etc.), or the guy might just be an asshole. legal? actually i think so. nice? no. does it keep you alive? yes. ken schram aside i actually do obey the traffic laws, most of the time anyway. i still think it's usually the motorists who are creating the unsafe situations. and what's a fender bender for a car is broken bones or worse for a cyclist. anyway, a biker learns to do what he needs to. i could spew here all day long about how we can share the road but i'd still need to ride just as defensively. a lot of motorists just don't see bikers, or maybe they just realize they're not going to get seriously injured by one.

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

For instance there is a helmet law in King County yet you still see people riding around, families with kids for that matter, riding without helmets. Not only is it unsafe and outright stupid your breaking a law that is there solely to protect you. These people should get tickets.

Sounds like a helmet law for climbers would be a good thing as well.

i love handling bicyclist vs mv. i dont care whos at fault. but i will say that bike commuter believe themselves holier then thou...don't get me wrong i have just started riding my bike to work once or twice a week. but when i have to deal with a cyclist they always seem to have a bigger attitude. the typical respsonse from the driver is "i did not see them". now in my opinion i can understand both sides of the case. so all i can say, is that YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY is YOUR RESPONSIBILTY!! no the drivers, not your moms, certianly bad things happen and people make mistakes, but i do not think being irate will solves the problem. matter of fact it will probably create a larger one. case in point a cetain cyclist in federal way tried to slam me for not doing my job. well i went out researched the loss and the scene doubled my witness statements and all applicable laws and got his claim denied. he lost out on gettin his trek carbon fiber road bike repaired. he was an asshole. served him no good. that goes for driver and riders. so instead of throwing your air tech at someone or bustin a cap in someone...think to yourself about how you can be a better rider or driver. because you will not change anyone.

though ken schram's editorial was pukey.

i could really go off, but there is no point. i say everyone should shut the up

have a nice day, mind just got better!!

Why don't bicyclists do like the 1% MC clubs do, pack some iron if they want to be TUFF if they are going to show their finger.

A friend of mine from Oregon was flipped off recently by a bicyclist, so he pulled over and told him to get off his bike 'cause he was going to break his finger. Well, the dumb fucker got off his bike and told my grey haired mean mofro friend that HE was going to rip off his head and shit down his neck. End result Pat drove away, bicycle ran over and bicyclist OKed on the road.

[ 07-17-2002, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: sisu suomi ]

I frankly don't understand 'bike lanes'. They ARE clearly marked thru the middle of some blocks, but when it comes to an intersection, they mysteriously disappear, leaving a dangerous ambiguous zone. What's really supposed to happen there if a car needs to turn and unseen bicyclists are cruising along on the right?

I consulted my WA drivers manual for a quick education on bike lanes....it's strangely silent.

My other favorite is bicyclists who come SCREAMING through a cross walk while I'm trying to turn. If I'm in a particularly testy mood, I aim for them as the letter of the law says they should dismount and walk to have the right of way in a cross walk.

You bicyclin' dudes are the best man [big Drink][big Drink] .

I'll put up with some whiny attitude and stupid-looking lycra in exchange for that much less carbon monoxide in the air and that many less cars [with obnoxious horns] clogging the roads. Bike commuters are no more holier-than-thou than your average vegetarian or climber.

Keep it up you poor oppressed biker guys [big Drink][big Drink][big Drink] !!!

I was just joking about my Air Tech though carrying it has crossed my mind. [Wink] Just retorting with a statement that I'd actually never in reality execute.

I ride in the middle of the lane under three conditions. If I'm at a stop light I get in the middle of the lane so I don't get cut off at the end of the intersections, and I never pass cars to get up to the front of the light because even that pisses me off. I also ride in the middle of the road if I'm travelling at the speed limit (or above). At that speed it makes me more visible to people pulling out and such and give both parties time to react. Sorry if you don't like following me if I'm doing the speed limit. Lastely I'll get in the middle if the shoulder sucks and I'm going around a blind corner.

Like Greg said we can spew all we want but it doesn't make the road safer. All I can do is ride responsibly and hopefully some motorist will recognize that there are some of us out there who do follow the rules. I'm putting over 15 hours in the saddle now so I have be safe otherwise I'll end up splattered on the road eventually.

[big Drink]