Lotsa tea, no pot

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing's really happening at the federal level, so the only number that really matters is how legislators and voters fall on the issue within a given state. Once enough states move forward, the feds will likely follow. The feds still don't recognize the legality of medical marijuana, despite its being legal in some states (now many states) since the mid 90s. No one ever accused the feds of being too responsive to the public.

Right now our voters appear to be at a tipping point for decriminalization and possibly legalization in WA. Last year's session featured a legalization bill, which got much further than expected. This session will also include at least one such bill. There are more conservatives in the legislature now, so an initiative might be necessary to push the issue.

Prop 19 failed in CA primarily because voters were unclear as to how it would work (it was poorly written), and because it's proponents were about 10x underfunded.

A similar initiative in WA, should one be put forth, will not suffer from either problem.

Regarding Medical Marijuana...

...legal in 15 states, 20 states considered it in 2010. Although it didn't fly in most states that last year, only in N Dakota did voters resoundingly reject it via initiative. Well, you've got to consider that N Dakotans probably self select for a dull and painful lifestyle. Most of the bills died when the session ended, indicating that the respective legislatures will pick it up again this year.

Good synopsis of Med MJ

pot is a gateway drug to sport climbing :noway:

In todays sickening "drugz is bad" in Iran human rights news on how the rest of the crazed world works on this issue.....

evin--9.jpg

10 former drug users successfully helped to stop their drug usage this very day.

This is evidently a different batch of folks than the 8 that they hung the other day. http://iranhr.net/spip.php?article1955

In related news, Akmenajad had earlier astounded the US college kids he was speaking too when he announced to them that they have no gays at all in their country. I think he meant to say - no living ones that they haven't yet identified. "During the first 13 days of the year 2011, at least 41 people have been executed in Iran, according to the official reports."

The criticism of our legal system is that we often forgo rehabilitation and therapy for jail terms, causing the recidivism rates to skyrocket.....hmmm, that's all I have.

It's likely that pot will wind up like alcohol, which is legal but controlled at the federal level, with most, but not all, states (including WA) allowing prohibition at the country or municipal level by referendum.

I bet we're in the last decade of prohibition. It seems inevitable.

It's likely that pot will wind up like alcohol, which is legal but controlled at the federal level, with most, but not all, states (including WA) allowing prohibition at the country or municipal level by referendum.

I bet we're in the last decade of prohibition. It seems inevitable.

Yeah, I can remember thinking the 70's were the last decade of prohibition too...

The head Douchebag has arrived... LOL

True dat. Thanks for coming!

OW: The difference is we've got 2.2 million people in the slammer now, half for non violent drug offenses, as opposed to less than a quarter of that in the early 80s. We've got a 9th district ruling that our criminal justice system, fueled primarily by the drug war, is racially descriminatory. And we've got 40 years of drug war with higher illicit use of stronger, cheaper drugs. We didn't have any of that in the 70's when Nixon launched the War on Drugs.

We'd be in violation of international treaty if we choose to decriminalize or legalize cannabis:

Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs

thank god george w's set us a precedent for ignoring such things!

clearly the whole world needs to legalize the yerba del diablo - but just as states seem to have to bring the usa around, so i suppose nation-states will have to individually change the global society - forutnately the taliban shouldn't be an obstacle in this case :)

Tea Party Nation President Judson Phillips stated on Faux Nooz last night that "the majority of tea party members are against legalizing marijuana". Sarah Palin followed up with a similar claim.

The movement is mostly social conservatives who want to tell the rest of us how to live with just enough of a sprinkling of libertarian to make it seem like it offers something 'new'.

Same ole GOP repressive bacon-wrapped-turds, different day....

I'd love to find a statement by anyone in the tea party leadership supporting marijuana legalization, if you can produce one. They seem strangely silent on the subject on the national level...but certainly not in Washington's legislature. I'd love to be wrong on this one....

This quote is from Sarah Palin

“And if somebody’s gonna smoke a joint in their house and not do anybody else any harm, then perhaps there are other things our cops should be looking at to engage in and try to clean up some of the other problems that we have in society.”

Even has the typical Palin non-sensical grammatical structure.