Lotsa tea, no pot

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cause they believe they need the guvmint to keep 'em from gettin' too baked, like happin ta dad when he had dat job at tha jack-in-tha-off-box, wherever, before he got fired for poachin' burgers or whatever it was. Besides, it keeps a lot of them uppity types in prison.

"it's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart" :)

'baggers are probably anti-pot b/c they're the types who, when they do smoke, end up drinking the bong water and running around screaming "i'm a tree, i'm a tree, i'm a HAPPY tree!!!"

http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/09/tea-party-marijuana-legalization

"You find more Republican candidates right now espousing legalization of marijuana than you do Democrats."

Advertise on MotherJones.com

He's probably right, says Allen St. Pierre, head of the pro-legalization National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), which funnels 80 percent of its political donations to Democrats. "Republicans are definitely more on the record in terms of support for ending prohibition," he says. While pot-friendly pols from either side of the aisle are still rare species, the GOP variety tends to voice unequivocal support for outright legalization. Republican exemplars include ex-Colorado GOP congressman Tom Tancredo (now running for governor on the American Constitution Party ticket) and the GOP challengers to Reps. Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi. Nobody, of course, is more outspoken on the issue than Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), the 2008 presidential hopeful and tea party patron saint, who recently wrote that "decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level would be a start" to ending "the insanity of the War on Drugs."

Think the libertarian wing-nuts are typically far more inclined to support full-tilt legalization than your typical progressive.

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/09/tea-party-marijuana-legalization

"You find more Republican candidates right now espousing legalization of marijuana than you do Democrats."

Advertise on MotherJones.com

He's probably right, says Allen St. Pierre, head of the pro-legalization National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), which funnels 80 percent of its political donations to Democrats. "Republicans are definitely more on the record in terms of support for ending prohibition," he says. While pot-friendly pols from either side of the aisle are still rare species, the GOP variety tends to voice unequivocal support for outright legalization. Republican exemplars include ex-Colorado GOP congressman Tom Tancredo (now running for governor on the American Constitution Party ticket) and the GOP challengers to Reps. Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi. Nobody, of course, is more outspoken on the issue than Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), the 2008 presidential hopeful and tea party patron saint, who recently wrote that "decriminalizing marijuana at the federal level would be a start" to ending "the insanity of the War on Drugs."

Think the libertarian wing-nuts are typically far more inclined to support full-tilt legalization than your typical progressive.

There you go, cherry picking your facts again and then pretending they represent the entire picture. It's kind of what you do. In this case, however, it's pretty much an outright lie.

At the state level at least, pro war on druggies are overwhelmingly republican, according to a lobbyist who knows just a wee bit more about the pulse of our politics than you pretend to.

GOPer's in favor of any drug policy reform, nevermind legalization, are exceedingly rare at any level of government, although they do exist.

Hopefully, that will change.

What you've conjectured is pure crap, however.

I thought you were speaking about tea party types in particular, where you've got a far higher concentration of libertarians than any other identifiable political movement in America at the moment. Since libertarians are more uniformly in favor of complete, immediate legalization than any other political group in society, your claim that tea party types are uniformly against legalizing drugs in general, and marijuana in particular is more of a projection on your part than an empirical truth that you can actually establish with real data.

“You know what, I think it’s about time we legalize marijuana. Hear me out for a second…” Beck told viewers in April. “We have to make a choice in this country. We have to either put people who are smoking marijuana behind bars, or we legalize it. But this little game we’re playing in the middle is not helping us, is not helping Mexico, and is causing massive violence on our southern border.”

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQoCWQ2UnJo&feature=related

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/25/the-conservative-case-for-legalizing-pot.html

Since libertarians are more uniformly in favor of complete, immediate legalization than any other political group in society, your claim that tea party types are uniformly against legalizing drugs in general, and marijuana in particular is more of a projection on your part than an empirical truth that you can actually establish with real data.

LOL

You probably won't get the joke Jay, but the rest of us will.

The feds, who've done fuck all to reform drug policy (smoking your medicinal weed, green card in hand, in Yosemite NP? Hellooooo, felony!) aren't going to do jack until enough of the states reform first, and those state fights have been pretty partisan so far, with conservative groups on the wrong side of the issue.

So when you trot our good ole Ron Paul as your example...yeah. Not exactly a knock out punch. And calling the Tea Baggers 'libertarian'? That's pretty much the national joke these days, isn't it?

Edited by tvashtarkatena

"What you're really seeing is groundswell," says Mike Meno of the Marijuana Policy Project. "There was a poll in October showing that 81 percent of Americans nationally support medical-marijuana laws. I always tell people, What other public-policy issue can 81 percent of Americans agree on?"

One factor Meno cites is the Tea Party movement, especially the libertarian streak represented by Ron Paul, who frames pot legalization as yet another states' rights issue. "People don't want government telling them what they can use to unwind with after work," Meno says.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/marijuana-legalization-by-state-071410

~25% of Republicans support marijuana legalization, vs ~55% of democrats.

I'd be surprised if the number isn't higher amongst people who self identify as members of the Tea Party, since there appears to be a stronger libertarian streak in the Tea Party movement than there is in the mainstream Republican party.

If you've got data that support your claim that there's a unified sense of opposition to drug legalization amongst Tea Party types, post away.

"What you're really seeing is groundswell," says Mike Meno of the Marijuana Policy Project. "There was a poll in October showing that 81 percent of Americans nationally support medical-marijuana laws. I always tell people, What other public-policy issue can 81 percent of Americans agree on?"

One factor Meno cites is the Tea Party movement, especially the libertarian streak represented by Ron Paul, who frames pot legalization as yet another states' rights issue. "People don't want government telling them what they can use to unwind with after work," Meno says.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/marijuana-legalization-by-state-071410

~25% of Republicans support marijuana legalization, vs ~55% of democrats.

I'd be surprised if the number isn't higher amongst people who self identify as members of the Tea Party, since there appears to be a stronger libertarian streak in the Tea Party movement than there is in the mainstream Republican party.

If you've got data that support your claim that there's a unified sense of opposition to drug legalization amongst Tea Party types, post away.

Medicinal marijuana is a completely different issue than outright legalization, with a very different approval rate. That 81% drops to well under 50% when you're talking about the latter.

Your GOP/Dem figures are about right; thanks for nailing my argument. Remember...Baggers are nothing more than extra-militant GOPers. They sure has hell don't vote Dem, and they sure as hell do vote, eh?

Your assertion that Baggers are more likely to favor legalization may well be right if the 'libertarian' streak is stronger than the 'social conservative' streak amongst that group. Personally, I doubt that it is; I suspect social conservatism is what fuels the emotion in that movement, and it is, after all, almost pure emotion without a whole lot of rationality, given the inconsistency and incoherence of their agenda, or, er, lack thereof.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong. If so, I'd love to see an actual Bagger leader, not Geraldo Rivera's doppleganger, not yesteryear's economist, not kooky-but-lovable-and-largely-ignored-by-his-own-party Ron Paul, come out with a statement in support of ANY drug policy reform other than med. MJ. I've looked...NADA.

Can anyone find anything 'official' from the Baggers on this?

Edited by tvashtarkatena

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

Jesus never smoked pot; M'kay? If Jesus never did it we are against it. M'kay?