phone/locator - has this changed your mtneering?

Rad

back country device use  

144 members have voted

1. 1. back country device use

Article on "yuppie 911"

We've seen plenty of discussion on this topic in the past, yet phones and other devices are becoming more useful and more prevalent.

Do you take a phone or other device into the backcountry? What have you used it for? My main question is: has this changed your decision-making? (e.g. no cell reception so better be more cautious vs good coverage so go for it).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangely devised survey. There are "carry one..." and three "have used..." but no specific choice for, "Will never bring one because they don't belong in the Wild..."

"Other", indeed.

Good point. Unfortunately, I can't change the survey at this point. At least we have your response. Feel free to start a survey on reasons to leave one at home if you feel inspired.

Edited by Rad

similar to others. weighs next to nothing, is not used to play any role or factor in decision making. stays off the whole time. a bit of a cell phone luddite as far as i'm concerned.. not a fan of them in a general sense and tried my best to find a phone that was just 2 color basic small single lcd but couldn't beat getting a more advanced one for free when it came down to having to get a phone.

i understand animosity towards cell phones when people are using them in the wilderness in your presence, or even in the general sense when individuals may use them as a false safety net and make poor decisions, but i don't understand the opposition that seems based on ideology. obviously taking them into wrangle-st. elias is pointless but for around a lot of the cascade volcanoes there is a degree of merit to having one in worst case scenarios. is this a case where someone wants to feel 'hard' because they dealt with unforeseen consequences where someone with a phone maybe would be relieved quicker? if anyone has such a view, i'd love to hear a clarified version for what sounds to me as cutting off your nose to spite your face, based on ideological grounds of no tech in the wilderness (should probably leave any synthetic fabrics or cast metals at home too).

My wife started telling me I had to have it with me....AND then she modified that statement to "and turned on". :lmao: Of course, where I've been climbing this year has no cell phone service anywhere for many many miles...so WTF? I take it up and leave it in the car.

I understand having one if you have service. I never use to carry it, but after seeing how useful they are in an emergency, and it will hopefully be someone else's rescue that I call in and not my own, I think having one is a damn good idea.

Of course, everyone's results and ideas will vary, as your poll is showing LOL. It hasn't changed my decisions. I just blunder on as always.

I never use to carry it, but after seeing how useful they are in an emergency, and it will hopefully be someone else's rescue that I call in and not my own, I think having one is a damn good idea.

Well said. I think the idealogical stance of not taking the evil technology along is a short sighted one.

Let's say something does happen and you are able to get a signal to call in (for your team or another party) in 1/2 the time it would take you to get a phone or ranger station or whatever and that time was the difference between someone living or dying, don't you think it would be worth having.

I for one would have a hard time living with the decision to not take one out of principal.

Like another poster said may as well have the same disdain for gear made from technical materials.

Same as in life in the lowlands it is a choice to have the thing on and or use it.

Edited by Pilchuck71

this is such a worn out topic. I was reading an article recently about John Bachar and Ron Kauk. Back in the seventies they wore swami belts, and refused to wear leg loops because they thought it was cheating, and led to hang dogging.

5 years before that it was: I won't climb in EB's because it's cheating. 5 years later it was: using friends (cams) is cheating.

Now some people say you are not having a "true" wilderness experience because you carry a cell phone. Most of the time the phone is dead anyway, but if they work, why not? It might save someones life. We got someone into a helicopter at smith in '93 because of a cell phone. She would probably have died without that timely call, 80 foot fall.

Natural selection and Darwin's law...true, but is that still a good idea when it could be you, or your loved one?

Well, I guess I should have to toss in my two cents. As has been said above, I wouldn't want my principles to cost someone their life. I often carry my cell even though the chance of it having reception in the mtns is low. Mainly, I call when I hit the first service area on the way out to let the wife know we're down fine and headed for food. She's not a worrier but does appreciate that. I will also use it as a time keeping piece. Txting is a good idea, and one that I will try to remember, because you can send a msg and it will get sent when reception kicks in again. MAybe someday I'll use it in an emergency, but I hope not. I doubt I'll get an MLU. I do find a phone quite useful at Index, 38, and 32. Apologies to the climbers I've belayed while taking business calls! Trango Cinch rocks! And lastly, I don't think a phone affects my decision-making at the crag or in the mtns.

I like to have mine for the clock, and it can work as a light in a pinch when you don't have a headlamp. Also, I would not hesitate to use it if someone had a broken leg or other serious injury. That said, I certainly don't use a cell phone to push climbing limits any further and calling in a rescue would be the last option for only the worst scenarios. Last summer, I was just starting the 2nd pitch on a climb when my phone rang, it was a buddy calling and asking for help with a partner that took a bad fall on a route nearby and really messed up his ankle, so I guess it can work both ways. Lastly, my phone is my business and I have done a deal or too while on route. NOT the best form but ya gotta do whacha gotta do. I usually try to turn it off but forget to most of the time. One of the few times I did not have a phone on me, my partner's headlamp went dead and my wife thought I was over due and called the sheriff. Both the epic descent and the grief at home would have been completely avoided had I decided to bring the phone along. I would have been able to call my wife from the summit, which was the only place I could get reception, and remind her when I was due back. My partner could have used it for a light.