Tat

DPS

What do you folks bring for tat when you know you will be making a lot of rappels? 9/16” webbing? Perlon? I have been using 6 mm perlon because I can use it for Prusik slings and is fairly light and cheap. Do folks usually go with something beefier?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dan,

I bring whatever is in my "retired gear" bin at the time. Sometimes it's old 9/16" or 1" tubular, sometimes it's old 6 or 7mm prussik loops, and sometimes it's old spectra or dyneema slings. I just can't seem to throw anything away, but it eventually gets used up somewhere along the line...

How about 1" tubular webbing climber guy, who has just fucking reams of 1" tubular hanging from his harness, and who superfluously backs up every rap anchor with gobs of webbing. Frequently seen mid-season epicing on the Beckey Route of Lib Bell.

Billcoe I bet knows the report, but there was recently a study done of the tat left on anchors around Yosemite. Supposedly 4 slings of the most heinous, old, faded webbing they pulled off anchors could still hold several thousand pounds.

If you feel like you need to add something, at least take away the crap you don't trust.

I just use the cord from my cordelettes, which is 5.5 vectran, superlight, I already have it with me on a climb so it not additional material that I am packing, though more pricey that .33 a foot. These days, I don't spend any money on bail material/cordelettes due to the fact there is nothing to climb here.

Billcoe I bet knows the report, but there was recently a study done of the tat left on anchors around Yosemite. Supposedly 4 slings of the most heinous, old, faded webbing they pulled off anchors could still hold several thousand pounds.

If you feel like you need to add something, at least take away the crap you don't trust.

I still remember the first time I climbed Wilman's Spire East. One of the rap stations had about 14 slings of 1" webbing. I started in with my knife, cutting out the oldest looking ones first. I finally rapped on the last, best looking 4 without adding a new one. The mass of slings I cut out and took with me was the size of a bowling ball.

Strength of 6mm = 6.88kN (low according to what I've seen in a quick web search), x 2 because it's in a loop, times .66 to account for loss of strength in knot = 9.1kN strength.

Climber mass(UIAA definition) = 80kg, gravity = 10m/s^2, climber "weight" = .8kN.

Max force you can generate in a FallFactor 0 = 2.5 x weight...

Max force 80kg climber can generate in a bounce (FF0) = 2.0 kN vs. 9.1kN for a tied 6mm sling = pretty good safety factor IMO.

It sure looks spooky though...

I looked up the specs on cord/webbing:

6mm perlon - 6.88 kn

9/16 " tubular webbing - 9 kn

7mm perlon - 10 kn

I think I will switch to 7 mm cord - those extra 3 kn make me feel warm and fuzzy.

To me, "tat" has had a negative meaning, useless trash that has to be cleaned away. But sometimes we happen upon something special, we'd like to imbue with nostalgic meaning. Here's some cool tat we found on a forlorn and neglected cliff...

2009_06_27_013_800.jpg

This was left by some "ledge walkers" long ago, adventurous dads of a bygone era, who must have been fearless rapellers.