Critical Mass Cyclists

Fairweather

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the Baltic states circa 1990. It worked for them (granted glasnost and perestroika had a little something to do with it).

I've also heard it said that Bruce Springsteen's concert in East Germany in 1989 was the final nail in the coffin of the Berlin Wall.

I guess "Tunnel of Love" really softened up the red Krauts.

Look at the Baltic states circa 1990. It worked for them (granted glasnost and perestroika had a little something to do with it).

I've also heard it said that Bruce Springsteen's concert in East Germany in 1989 was the final nail in the coffin of the Berlin Wall.

I guess "Tunnel of Love" really softened up the red Krauts.

Yeah, but David Hasselhoff really tore down the wall.

Only in Germany.

And maybe Florida.

And Canada.

And Alabama.

This sounds like a descent goal, but unfortunately a big gathering attracts all types of folks. A mix of jerk bikers and jerk drivers is only going to result in trouble.

I bike in Seattle regularly and don't find the drivers to be "jerks" here at all. And this event certainly didn't pull in any "jerk drivers" showing up just for the event. It does, clearly, pull in quite a few cyclists who are complete jerks. And not just a "few".

Well I only bike from time to time.

When I do drive a car I periodicaly see car drivers acting reckless and or being jerks. That's what happens any time you get a big powerful moving device. It is also a reason why there are State Patrol, SPD, and other police forces who spend a good chunk of there work monitoring drivers.

When I do drive a car I periodicaly see car drivers acting reckless and or being jerks. That's what happens any time you get a big powerful moving device. It is also a reason why there are State Patrol, SPD, and other police forces who spend a good chunk of there work monitoring drivers.

I'm speaking specifically of drivers *in the city* and their interactions with cyclists sharing the road as I observe them.

You must have a nice commute, KKKKK -- I was riding down Rainier yesterday after getting off the I-90 trail, and i was almost hit by the rear-view mirror of a driver who yelled "get off the road!" and gave me the finger as he sped off. I'm not sure how Fairweather managed to find me, but it was pretty bizarre.

I regularly run into reckless "jerk" drivers like this while cycling. That's not to say they are all jerks -- most are pretty considerate.

You must have a nice commute, KKKKK -- I was riding down Rainier yesterday after getting off the I-90 trail, and i was almost hit by the rear-view mirror of a driver who yelled "get off the road!" and gave me the finger as he sped off. I'm not sure how Fairweather managed to find me, but it was pretty bizarre.

I regularly run into reckless "jerk" drivers like this while cycling. That's not to say they are all jerks -- most are pretty considerate.

I don't ride down Rainier.

Turn right and then left to ride the street parallel to Rainier until Dearborn, then turn left. It's smooth sailing there.

Come to think of it, once a guy tried to flip me shit but then I flexed and flashed him a stare where he saw the flames of hell in my eyes and he STFU. ;)

The biggest jerks I've encountered on the road were on the East Side when I used to commute to Redmond. I assume they were Micro$pouses or Googlefraus.

Speaking of Microsoft, a friend of mine (a Microsoftie) was riding to work through the main campus and was cut off by an Indian lady in her Mercedes, who yelled out her window, "GET A CAR!!!"

:lmao:

I used to ride down 140th from BCC all the way to old Redmond Way, then up Willows Road. I was riding the gauntlet and risking my life every trip, that's for sure. :-)

The worst I've gotten "accosted" was by teenagers in Bellevue who honked and yelled "Hey, Lance!!" :grin:

Microsoft is a funny place. I remember back in the days before Microsoft. We used to call the place 80 Acres there was nothing but big whop de dos and wrecked old cars. We got busted by the Bellevue Police for underage drinking. The cop was cool he just watched as we poured out all our beer and told us to have a safe evening. :lmao:

Can somebody tell me why the vast majority of bicycle communters need to ride spandex bike shorts and jerseys splattered with ads? It's amazing just how well a t-shirt and gym shorts work - and you don't look like a toolbag when you stop at the subway to get lunch. :) The cycling companies must love the fact that they can charge money so people can have the honor of giving them free advertising. LOL

Spandex with chamois gives my buttocks a little extra "cush in my tush".

I imagine guys like the extra cush and comfort too.

Jerseys splattered with ads in lots of color may make them more noticable to motorists.........or a better target.

I used to bike race and seems like we had some louder jerseys for visibility but now I got with more subdued tones.

with some exceptions, many of the riders i see wearing logo'd gear obviously got it for free or very cheap. it may look tacky, but a cycling jersey is pretty nice for riding. i have a Crest toothpaste jersey and a coor light silver bullet jersey i got at the thrift shop. they have pockets for storing your leg and arm warmers, which i like to wearing around the house without anything else on.