Glassgowkiss...

RuMR

Just curious here Arch.

Can we prove that anyone existed say, 1000 years ago or more?

If so, what makes it work for you?

That's a good question.

I guess one way to "prove" that people existed that long ago would be to look at the evolution of languages. We know from our own experience how language changes over time. It is dynamic, but not enough to form into a whole other language within our own lifetime, yeah? So how long would it take for a new language to grow from an old one? Hundreds of years perhaps? And how about to evolve into the many different languages we have? Certainly thousands.

That, and carbon dating.

I think he was talking about individual people. Like Ghengis Khan.

or Phil Collins

That is rediculous. Phil lipsyncs.

In a previous life I was a middle eastern archaeologist.

The "Historical Jesus" cannot be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. That there was a sect of Judaism called "Christians" that rose in power against both Rome and the Jerusalem heirarchy is written about in many texts from Rome, Jewish tradition and neighboring countries. That there is still a family that traces its geneology back through Joseph of Nazareth. etc.

So your arguement while technically true, is weak by academic standards anyway.

Now wether or not he was also "Christ" is the real question....

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can i believe that jesus existed but so does my next door neighbor bob? they're both cool guys and did/do some good shit but that doesn't prove the existence of god or the accuracy of the bible for me.

That's reasonable. But the historians mentioned in this thread that wrote about Jesus were not writing about God. That whole Nicaea thing hadn't happened yet and there wasn't so much consistancy about all that.

As for accuracy, either ya believe or ya don't. It's accurate or it is representative. Word of God or interpretation. No historian has the ability to make anyone believe what they chose not to believe. And that's probably a good thing.

No fucking shit. What was this all about? Did Jesus exist. So, you can go home now with your tail tucked and drown your sorrows in boone's farm and maui wowie.

Just curious here Arch.

Can we prove that anyone existed say, 1000 years ago or more?

If so, what makes it work for you?

That's a good question.

I guess one way to "prove" that people existed that long ago would be to look at the evolution of languages. We know from our own experience how language changes over time. It is dynamic, but not enough to form into a whole other language within our own lifetime, yeah? So how long would it take for a new language to grow from an old one? Hundreds of years perhaps? And how about to evolve into the many different languages we have? Certainly thousands.

That, and carbon dating.

I think he was talking about individual people. Like Ghengis Khan.

Ah, right.

Hmmmm.

DNA studies in mummies? Aren't scientists able to trace the evolution of mitochondria DNA and be pretty darn specific about it? They couple that with carbon dating, written record, grave stones, oral tradition. I don't know what else...

Do you know anything about science or do you just watch CSI on your lunch breaks at Wall Mart?

Do I strike you as uneducated?

BTW: that is an ad hominem attack. Also very weak.

can i believe that jesus existed but so does my next door neighbor bob? they're both cool guys and did/do some good shit but that doesn't prove the existence of god or the accuracy of the bible for me.

That's reasonable. But the historians mentioned in this thread that wrote about Jesus were not writing about God. That whole Nicaea thing hadn't happened yet and there wasn't so much consistancy about all that.

As for accuracy, either ya believe or ya don't. It's accurate or it is representative. Word of God or interpretation. No historian has the ability to make anyone believe what they chose not to believe. And that's probably a good thing.

No fucking shit. What was this all about? Did Jesus exist. So, you can go home now with your tail tucked and drown your sorrows in boone's farm and maui wowie.

GGK threatens, but Scott didn't turn the other cheek.

now we are back on topic

prove to me that Kevbone exists. I think he's a figment of our imagination. nobody can be that stupid.

This theory would be severely challenged by the (apparent) existence of Seahawks.

yes, there is an imbalance in the force. perhaps a undiscovered particle? the stupid particle?

prove to me that Kevbone exists. I think he's a figment of our imagination. nobody can be that stupid.

This theory would be severely challenged by the (apparent) existence of Seahawks.

yes, there is an imbalance in the force. perhaps a undiscovered particle? the stupid particle?

it's been discovered. it's Kevbone

it's been discovered. it's Kevbone

:lmao:

Maybe his dad beat his ass(brains) too many times???

I was freezing my ass off on an ice climbing trip with Bob once after getting soaked and the screaming barfies. I wanted to stay in the car and warm up, but he verbally abused me until I got back out.

I thought I could hold out, but his talent for verbal evisceration turned out to be too strong.

I sold all my ice gear shortly thereafter.

Bob's like the opposite of Kevbone: too smart for his own, and other's good